I'm looking for a 4gb or 8gb MicroSD for my new 8130. I have seen the are quite a few different makers out there. What should I base my selection on, price or brand?

Thanks
    03-20-08 04:39 PM
    I would base mine on price. I am not 100% sure but I think you may not be able to use a 8gb card until the 4.5 OS update is out. At the moment card size limits are based on OS versions.
    03-20-08 05:07 PM
    You need os 4.3 to have an 8. And I think they are all equal

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-08 05:10 PM
    I think they are all comparable, but maybe not equal. It has to do with the manufacturing process used to create the component. Sandisk and Kingston are probably the two biggest name brands.
    03-20-08 05:17 PM
    I use a kingston 4 gig card. I think that the quality of manufacture comes more into play when you have to worry about data transfer and read/write speeds (this is a big deal if you are using the cards for digital photography/video) but for straight data storage it is pretty much a non issue. With no moving parts to speak of you will probably be ready to upgrade to a bigger card before you "wear out" your existing card.

If you go to some of the value shopping sites (overstock, pricegrabber, etc...) you can get some good deals. I found mine on pricegrabber.com for a steal.
    03-20-08 06:10 PM
    I am using a sandisk 8 gb card. I got it for $51 on eBay. You could probably beat that price now.

03-20-08 06:46 PM
    I prefer Sandisk
    03-20-08 07:23 PM
    Just to throw in my 2 cents. I had a problem with Kingston's Micro card. So I am Sandisk for ever! I just can't wait for the to drop the 12 gig!!!
    03-20-08 07:33 PM
    I had a SanDisk 1 Gig in my Digital Camera and 'upgraded' to a Office Max special(cheap, no name) 2 Gig and noticed a huge difference in write speeds. I had to wait longer between pictures and what not... just what I think though, I usually go with SanDisk.
    03-20-08 08:20 PM
    I'm new so bear with me on this. If I want to switch out my micro sd for one with more memory, how can I get all my stuff from the old card onto the new one?

03-20-08 08:25 PM
    I'm wondering if some brands read significantly faster than others. I remember not too long ago, Sandisk was releasing special 'faster reading' SD cards aimed for the digital camera market. I never looked into it though.
    03-20-08 09:07 PM
    I'm new so bear with me on this. If I want to switch out my micro sd for one with more memory, how can I get all my stuff from the old card onto the new one?

Very simple, either you can use a card reader on your PC, or easier method, connect the Blackberry via USB, enable USB Mass Storage Mode on it and your PC will see the card and assign a drive letter. Then you can access to it via Explorer or Finder, copy the files, unplug, insert new card, repeat, this time copying from desktop to Blackberry.
    03-20-08 10:00 PM
    Thanks. I'll try that.

03-21-08 08:51 AM
    I am using a sandisk 8 gb card. I got it for $51 on eBay. You could probably beat that price now.

Jeeeeeez boy did I get bent over the barrel for my 8gb card.

I have GOT to work on my impulse buying.

Dm
    03-21-08 01:09 PM
    Thanks all, got a Sandisk 8gb with a USB reader included for $49 shipped
    03-25-08 05:02 PM
    Has anyone actually used a 8 gb card. I do have v4.3.0.81.
    04-08-08 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD