I am having issues with Mass Storage after upgrading my 8130 to V4.5. I can no longe hook the device to my home stereo or car stereo to play music. My computer does read the device. It is not my media card. I now have bought a new media card, and that made no difference.

I still have my old blackberry: the card shows up on both phones and computers. It is not my cables as they work with my old phone. I have also done all the obvious things like pull the battery and play with the media card setting.

The card reads everywhere. If i put it back in my old blackberry I can still play music on my car or home stereo(which is the ISSUE). This all worked on my new blackberry until I decided to upgrade to v4.5. This issue is specific to car and other uses as "mass storage device." All other functions work properly. My computer sees the entire thing.

I am now positive this has something to do uniquely with the upgrade to v4.5. I still have my old blackberry pearl, and it had v4.3 on it and I just wiped it clean and installed 4.5. Guess what? It no longer plays in my car or my home stereo. Computer reads it fine. The files show up on the phone. Two pearls - two upgrades to 4.5 and both experience loss of "mass storage device" with regard to external audio via usb "mass storage." Not the settings either. I'm way passed that stage. So, I downgraded the old Pearl back to 4.3 OS and everything works again.

I would really like to figure out why 4.5 OS is stopping me from using my 8130 to play music in the car, or home via USB.

I also would love to avoid downgrading my new phone to 4.3 from 4.5.

I've spent hours on these forums reading and posting with no luck.
    03-14-09 12:14 PM
    have you tried with and without using Mass storage mode?
    03-14-09 12:18 PM
    yes I have played with the mass storage settings to an exponential degree. Again, this is not the settings or media card.
    03-14-09 01:00 PM
    From what I read, this problem is affecting only one Blackberry and only one playback device - right?

If true, this leads me to suspect that the car radio is not providing something that the Blackberry needs under 4.5 to make it work.

When connected to the car radio, does the phone charge its battery? Check the charging symbol.

Does it try to go into Mass Storage Mode?

If it does not do this then I suspect that the is a voltage issue between the phone and the car radio - yes I know it used to work and now it does not.

Please get back here when you have had a chance to test.
    03-14-09 01:07 PM
    The charging symbol shows up on both my car and home stereos, but they don't find the drive on the phone.
    03-14-09 02:42 PM
    Not good. In fact this is most odd. I assume that your phone is set up as below.

With the Media Card installed, goto Options, Media Card and set
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: None
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

Try setting Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: to On and see if it picks up the media when connected.

I have never seen this before. All you are doing is to use the phone as a USB drive and play music from it. I do know that the Blackberry is not a totally normal USB drive as it will not connect to a PC unless Desktop Manager has been installed but if it worked once, then it shold do so again.

I can only suggest that you downgrade to whatever OS was installed previously and see if this re-instates the USB connection. I am very sorry not to have been able to resolve your problem.

When you solve this please would you be kind enough to post the solution. Thank you.
    03-14-09 05:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD