Ok, I'm a newbie, but I've searched & read for hours now about fixing my memory problems and upgrading my OS. I'm on vzw & I have the 8130, currently running the .77 OS. I only have a couple of small apps and do a battery pull every couple of days. I have done very basic memory recovery (del help, languages, etc) and my mem hovers around 15. Oh, and I put all media on my card. I'd like to run some more mem intensive apps, so I'm getting ready to take the plunge, as nervous as I am, and do a more intensive mem recover via my PC, so why not upgrade while I'm at it, right?

Ok, to the point, my questions are, does the .131 do the best job with mem stability of the versions available? is there anything I should know about using an OS set up for a different carrier, or will my berry just resend any info (see how tech advanced I am, ha), and the directions seem pretty straight forward, but I'm a nervous, if I back everything up its pretty safe right? I guess I need a little push

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-09 10:59 PM
    i run .77 os and i've had very few memory issues - till i downloaded the new facebook app that is. lol, but that aside, i deleted the following:

-voice activated dialing
    -verizon default theme
    -blackberry sample video
    -korean, chinese, japanese font/language support
    -help
    -brickbreaker
    -docs to go (don't use it)
    -password keeper
    -*edit* bbmaps

and in its place i run these apps
    -ubertwitter
    -crackberry app store application
    -slacker radio
    -aim
    -gtalk
    -google maps
    -bejewelled
    -vymail
    -facebook (1.2 was not quite the memory hog that 1.5 has proven to be)
    -hedone hawker's osx like theme

my memory would drop to about 12 or 13 mb by the end of the day, but nothing too terrible. (i also have all my media on a memory card, etc)

hope this helps, but in short, .77 has worked out fine with me and i haven't needed to upgrade, but .131 might be better for you

also, though it sounds like you've checked it out i'm going to post it anyway, a link to reed mclay's thread on memory optimization

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    Last edited by redsoxrocker; 04-26-09 at 12:08 AM.
    04-25-09 11:41 PM
    Wow that's a TON of apps, I'm literally only running BB weather, a solitaire game, and NY times. You've deleted a few more things than I have (VAD, for example) but I'm wondering if I have some other issue going on. I don't have any custom themes or stuff like that and I'm not saving a bunch of files or anything, in fact, my husband and I use BBM I don't really txt much with anyone else, so my device is clean of built up messages and such. Thinking maybe I'll do the mem recover first and see how it does, as .77 runs pretty stable for me.

Yep, reed's how-to is great, it is my map into the unknown! Ha! Thanks for posting the link here

04-26-09 12:04 AM
    oh! i forgot to mention that i also deleted bb maps, which i dont use since verizon blocked gps on the pearl (so i'm guessing you don't use it much either )

something you might want to consider doing is wiping your phone, and then reinstalling the OS. i did that once, and i think perhaps i just got a chunky version the first time i installed 4.5 or something lol but after that, it ran much much smoother.

definitely delete VAD if you don't use it, but just a mention (which reed also covers), it does something funny to the "about" section under options. but i don't use it much lol
    04-26-09 12:08 AM
    Verizon unlocked the GPS, so BB maps works now, by the way, although they will still try to sell you VZ navigator, of course. I actually use it a lot now, I'm definitely deleting VAD, I always think I'll start using it, but never do. Re-installing is a good idea, maybe something I downloaded at one time but since deleted has corrupted some mem or something, Couldn't hurt regardless.

04-26-09 01:22 AM
    There is a thread here about a guy who is offering a slimmed down version of .131. I did my own version, deleting stuff I don't need/use.

I added a few minor applications, and one theme. After a battery pull I'll hit 23 file free, so just decide what's needed and get rid of stuff you don't. By the way this is my first BB and I've had it less then 3 months

04-26-09 01:34 AM
    Know where I can find that thread? I wanna check out his modification.

04-26-09 01:49 AM
    Found it! Thanks for the tip.

04-26-09 01:58 AM
    oooh can someone post it over here? i'd be interested in checking it out. i could always use more free memory
    04-26-09 08:44 AM
    04-26-09 10:40 AM
    thanks, checking it out right now
    04-26-09 06:40 PM
    So, I've been thinking I would just follow reed's instructions and leave my OS as is, but I just read that .131 will allow you to use a 16 gig SD, might be worth the upgrade for that alone. I also caught a thread about BB app world launcher kulling memory, I've never used it to download any apps, but browse sometimes, I deleted it and low and behold, my mem is holding steady around 17, weird. Tonight I will tackle the the whole process, and report back! Thanks guys for the support!

04-27-09 04:45 PM
    yay!! i did it...well, i used .77, but got rid of VAD, and some themes, etc...followed reed's direction, and easy as pie!!! My mem is now at 21!!
    04-28-09 10:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD