I hope I can explain this clearly...

This morning I wanted to send a text message. I opened the address on my BB Pearl and it was empty. It said "Personal *no addresses*."

I went to status and saw that my memory was below 12 million or whatever the minimum is supposed to be, so okay, I assumed the BB erased all the addresses because it ran out of memory.

But when I go to "email settings," it tells me that there are 476 addresses in the address book.

I came home and hooked the BB up to my computer and prepared to restore my address book from the last backup.

This is the interesting part.

I have the Desktop Manger open on my PC desktop and the BB is connected with the cord.

I open "Backup and Restore."

Instead of immediately restoring my last backed up address book, I go to the Advanced button under "Backup and Restore Now."

Another window opens with the title "Backup-(2009-01-12) Backup/Restore"
    with two windows. The window on the left is titled "Desktop File Databases" and it's empty. The window on the right is titled "Device Databases (10.2Mfree)" and has everything on my BB listed INCLUDING THE ADDRESS BOOK WITH 476 ENTRIES.

I select "address book" and using the arrow button, copy that file into the window on the left. I close that window, which leaves the "Backup and Restore" window open and choose the "restore" button and attempt to copy the address book BACK to the BB (which in retrospect seems kind of dumb).

After that step completes itself I go to the address book on the BB, but it's still empty.

Then I navigate to the restore folder on the PC and use "notepad" to open the "2009-01-12" file I just created and all of the addresses and phone numbers are there. BUT the file size is only 27K as opposed to my last backup which was 2,218K. So I guess it just LOOKS like everything is there?

Is the Address Book still there on the BB somewhere since the email settings page says there are 476 entries? Did I somehow make it invisible? I'd like to understand what is happening before I restore my older backup file. Since I've never "restored" before on the BB, if I have just somehow hidden the Address Book or something weird like that, I'd rather just unhide it than take a chance on overwriting something that's there.

I don't use Outlook. I don't sync the address book with anything. I migrated all of these addresses and phone numbers from my previous phone.

Hope this makes some sense to someone. Thanks.
    01-12-09 04:22 PM
    YIPPEE! Found the answer here at Crackberry!

dated 10/30/08
    Open your address book and hit menu > filter, uncheck all boxes.
    by "berry me with it"

Cancel my question.

I had the feeling I had accidentally hit something that had made the addys invisible.

Now I need pizza...and to go watch about six reruns of NCIS...
    01-12-09 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD