As of a week or two ago, my blackberry has been giving me the following error whenever I edit a contact in my address book:

Address Updated Externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed.

This is the exact process I followed.

1) Open contact in address book, select Edit.

2) Make changes to entry

3) Click blackberry button -> Save. At that point it did nothing. It doesn't return to the contact list and it doesn't seem to save the entry. It just stays in the contact's editable form.

4) Clicking save a second time brings up the above error message for about 2 seconds, then it disappears and the BB still stays in the contact's edit screen. The only way to get out is to Discard the changes. Sometimes even after I discard the changes, it saves it to the contact, but it's rare that it happens.

The one thing I did out of the ordinary is install Blackberry Desktop Manager v4.5, which I downloaded from the main blackberry website, not my own carrier's website. My carrier (Telus Mobility) has not released v4.5 to it's customers yet. I still have v4.3.0.65 OS software on my phone.

I called my carrier and they suggested I clear out my Address Book and re-sync it with Outlook. I did that a few times along with soft-resetting after each try, but it didn't fix the problem. I figured that maybe the v4.5 of Desktop Manager was causing the problems, so I uninstalled it and re-installed v4.3 of the Desktop Manager software. After doing that, I cleared the Address Book again and re-synced in DM 4.3. Still did not make a difference. I'm out of ideas!!

I've searched google and from the looks of it, it's a BES problem, but I don't even have BES... I am using BIS. WTF?! I found a few things from google, but none of the solutions helped.... Can anyone here help me??!

If you need anymore info, just ask.
    07-29-08 02:25 PM
    I had the same error message. After a lot of false leads, mine turned out to be a corrupted entry in my address book. I am on a BES.

Here's the thread I created...http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/jav...upgrade-42622/
    07-29-08 02:31 PM
    yeah I saw your thread, but is there any way to determine which entry is causing the problems?
    07-29-08 02:39 PM
    I stumbled across it when I saw a duplicate address book entry. The methodical approach would be to work your way back through your address book changes. If you're lucky, you haven't made many changes since creating the problem, you'll remember them, and you'll find it quickly.

One thing I noticed that might speed the process: When I opened the corrupted contact, Outlook had labeled it "untitled contact." Now, I am not positive that that label was only on that one contact, but normally when you double-click a contact, the name in the title bar at the top of the window matches the name of the contact. So if you go through your address book, opening each contact, and find one that has a title that doesn't match the name of the contact, that might be the one that's the problem. It was in my case. And of course I stopped looking after I found it, so I don't know if there are any more. Mine was in the "D's," so I didn't have to go to far to find it.
    07-29-08 02:52 PM
    Do you have GPSed from Shape Services installed? If so, try uninstalling it and see if the problem goes away.

I'm having a similar problem. If I edit an entry, hit Escape, Save, exit the entry (this time selecting Discard), exit address book, the edit is saved.

If I edit the entry, hit Menu, Save, then I get the updated externally error.

If I uninstall GPSed the problem goes away. Another user reported the error to Shape and I verified I'm getting the same problem. They said they would work on it.
    07-29-08 03:27 PM
    Do you have GPSed from Shape Services installed? If so, try uninstalling it and see if the problem goes away.
    son of a b----... that fixed it!!!

Why would the problem just pop up like that though. I've had that software installed for well over 2 months... the problem only started a week or so ago...
    07-29-08 03:33 PM

I'm having a similar problem. If I edit an entry, hit Escape, Save, exit the entry (this time selecting Discard), exit address book, the edit is saved.

If I edit the entry, hit Menu, Save, then I get the updated externally error.

If I uninstall GPSed the problem goes away. Another user reported the error to Shape and I verified I'm getting the same problem. They said they would work on it.
    Hmmm...interesting. If you look at #27 in my thread, the last app I installed before my problems began was GPSed. However, my problem persisted after I'd wiped and restored without restoring 3rd party apps. So maybe GPSed was part of the problem, but getting rid of it didn't solve it. I still haven't reinstalled it. I could reinstall it and see if the problem came back, but that's like giving yourself a disease to prove the diagnosis. I'm not sure I want to!
    07-29-08 07:12 PM
    ... I could reinstall it and see if the problem came back, but that's like giving yourself a disease to prove the diagnosis. I'm not sure I want to!
    haha yeah I wouldn't bother. It's already occurring to at least 3 ppl who have reported it on the SHAPE Services thread at pin stack. 1 person is a minor annoyance, 2 ppl is a possible coincidence, but when it reaches 3 ppl, it's a problem.

I'm sure they figure it out.
    07-30-08 08:28 AM
    Hmmm...interesting. If you look at #27 in my thread, the last app I installed before my problems began was GPSed. However, my problem persisted after I'd wiped and restored without restoring 3rd party apps. So maybe GPSed was part of the problem, but getting rid of it didn't solve it. I still haven't reinstalled it. I could reinstall it and see if the problem came back, but that's like giving yourself a disease to prove the diagnosis. I'm not sure I want to!
    Had the same problem. I took out the battery, rebooted the BB and that fixed the problem.
    12-19-09 04:34 PM
    OK, so I am having the same problem. However, I am pretty sure I have narrowed it down to TWO specific contacts. Both of their contact information was added to my phone via Blackberry Messenger. Neither contact can be deleted nor edited. I tried working around it by deleting the items in my Yahoo contacts, but one of the contacts does not even appear in my YAhoo address book. And the other, well, upon syncing and reviewing the "details" of the changes that were going to be made, I learned that each time I TRIED to delete one of these entries, I was in fact deleting OTHER unrelated entries!!! I would almost understand if the entries that were being deleted were alphabetically close to the troubled entry, but apparently not...just random names were being deleted. Hopefully my sync will reinstall those deleted items onto my phone. Ideas about deleting the troubled contacts?
    03-02-10 01:22 AM
    Removing GPSed seemed to do the trick for me as well. After I deleted the app I was able to remove a number of seemingly phantom contact entries that didn't seem to reside in my desktop address book (The one that syncs with exchange/outlook through the BES). I still have one contact that will not delete. and If I edit it and try to save I get "Address Updated Externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed." So close...
    05-07-10 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD