So after being extremely close to needing to call 911 today and not knowing where I was I was wondering how well 911 would be able to determine my location on my 8120. Do emergency services use the whole Google maps my location technology or does my phone have a GPS chip only for emergency services? My life was in jeopardy and it was a scary thing so if 911 would only be able to determine the cell tower I was using I might need to get a phone with GPS in it...
    11-07-08 04:28 PM
    No GPS chip on the 8120. If 911 tried they could get a position within 100 yards at the closest I think.
    11-07-08 04:49 PM
    Depends on where you're from. Here in good ole Cali, all 9-1-1 calls go to California Highway Patrol dispatch with the least call volume. So you may be in Nortnern Cali and the dispatcher may be from Southern Cali. And it requires that you know where you are. Things are improving though, city by city is trying to install systems where they will be able to find your location if you call by cell. Some cities also have 7-digit emergency phone lines. Save it in your contacts to ensure you reach the emergency agency in your area. Obviously not an option when you're traveling. But know that it's out there.
    11-10-08 02:56 AM
    I work for a 911 Emergency communication center, and Dispatch and calltake as well. If your cell phone is wireless Phase2 then we can plot your phone in most cases. However if you call and hang up or if it's a bad connection we may not be able to find you or plot your grid coordinates. Best advice: Remember the road you are traveling on all the time and know which direction you were going before the emergency. Always be aware of your surroundings. Location is always the first question you'll be asked from a 911 operator, and for good reason.

Hope I helped!
    11-10-08 03:13 AM
    Having a GPS enabled phone, provided the dispatch center has E911, they can fairly well pin point my location. Without GPS, they will get a general location of your phone based on the cell tower it's using. And it's true, in California all call 911 calls goto CHP. Depending on what you are calling them for, you can ask for the local dispatch center and they can transfer your call. I know about this, because I've had an occasion to use this in the past.
    11-10-08 05:55 AM
    Thanks for the help! Would a GPS "Puck" help? I just went out and bought a can of military force pepper spray so I should be safe now. lol
    11-10-08 08:57 AM
    I'm a 911 dispatcher in Nor Cal. Not all 911 cell phone calls go to Highway Patrol. It will generally go to the agency closest to the towers your hitting off of. USMCSergeant is right. If the 911 center can receive a Phase 2 call we can narrow it down but you need to stay on the phone and dont drive around. Its still like finding a needle in a haystack.
    Once again USMCSegeant is right:
    "Always be aware of your surroundings. Location is always the first question you'll be asked from a 911 operator, and for good reason."
    11-10-08 09:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD