I've looked around to no avail . .. Is anyone else having this problem?
    I set off some store security alarms both entering and exiting the store.
    I've not yet started debugging various connections (bluetooth, etc. ) but am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?
    11-20-07 11:01 AM
    This is the first I have ever heard of this issue.
    11-20-07 11:38 AM
    Please let me know which stores. Sounds like some good "Black Friday" hijinks are in order!
    11-20-07 01:42 PM
    Beawhy, I've experienced that this past weekend w my 8130. Leaving and entering babies r us, target, circuit city, and the ann taylor outlet. This was all in nj. Do you know why this happens?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-07 02:25 PM
    I have never had this problem with my BlackBerry. However, I experienced this issue on a regular basis when I was with Nextel. Everytime that I entered or exited either Circuit City, The GAP, or Banana Republic, my Nextel would set off the alarm. My sister had the same Nextel and she would experience the same issue. It was very embarassing, not to mention time-consuming (proving to the staff that I was not stealing merchandise). I assumed that it was the walkie-talkie/radio feature that was somehow triggering the alarm. So, I'm not sure what is going on with the 8130.
    11-20-07 09:54 PM
    Sounds odd. The security alarms in those store work off magnetic RF frequencys. So unless your BB is tagged it shouldn't set off a thing. The alarms are triggered by magnetic tags on packaging, clothing etc. Seems unlikely that your BB would be the cause. Check your clothes. I had a pair of jeans from Old Navy that had a tag hidden in them and I set off alarms all the time and had no idea why.

11-20-07 10:48 PM
    Its weird, but it happened when I was walking in and out of stores on Saturday.

11-20-07 10:54 PM
    Where you guys who are setting off alarms using BB cases with the magnets in them? That should have no effect, but just trying to rule something out. You guys should email RIM and ask/let them know about this.
    11-21-07 10:07 PM
    that makes sense gib...

the magnets in the case may be doing it...

-db

but what do i know?
    11-24-07 07:29 AM
    Sounds odd. The security alarms in those store work off magnetic RF frequencys. So unless your BB is tagged it shouldn't set off a thing. The alarms are triggered by magnetic tags on packaging, clothing etc. Seems unlikely that your BB would be the cause. Check your clothes. I had a pair of jeans from Old Navy that had a tag hidden in them and I set off alarms all the time and had no idea why.

Good chance of this. If you really want to check if it is the phone, ask the person by the door (if there is one, I know my walmart has a little old lady working security at the door) to walk your phone through and see if it is that.

It very well may be your clothing. I know some clothing manufacturers are now sewing the magnetic tags into the clothing. So there is a very good chance they forgot to deactivate them. For example, my jeans from old navy had one sewn into the leg or something a while back.
    11-24-07 10:13 AM
    That's a good idea, Trevor, and I have tried that before. And sure enough, it was the Nextel phone, and not a sensor tag. That's what I was referring to in my earlier post when I referenced having to prove to the store employees that I had not stolen any merchandise from their store. However, I'm just glad that I am not experiencing this problem with my Pearl.
    11-24-07 11:51 AM
    Where you guys who are setting off alarms using BB cases with the magnets in them? That should have no effect, but just trying to rule something out. You guys should email RIM and ask/let them know about this.
    Ok, I have a Verizon 8703e and it CONSTANTLY sets off the security alarms. So far, it has happened in Target, Old Navy, Gap, Lowe's Foods, and Walgreen's. After reading this, I thought that it may have been the magnet in the holster (why is that there anyway?) so I stopped using the case. Now, it only goes off in Walgreen's, Old Navy and Gap. I am certain that it isnt a sensor in my clothing as I have worn different clothing and received the same result. Any other suggestions?
    12-19-07 01:07 PM
    Since this is in a largely Verizon-centric forum, you may want to post in the BlackBerry Discussion forum. I wonder if it happens to GSM folks as well? I've never had this problem, but I get the GSM Hum through any speakers nearby.....
    12-19-07 01:37 PM
    [QUOTE=Starrkitty;83148] After reading this, I thought that it may have been the magnet in the holster (why is that there anyway?) so I stopped using the case. QUOTE]

The magnet in the BB case is a proximity sensor. It changes settings on your phone depending on whether it is in the case or not. For example, you may want your BB to vibrate in the case, but ring when it is out of the case. It is a wonderful function!
    12-27-07 02:45 PM
    This happened to me today in Barnes and Nobel as well as the home depot. I'm glad I read about it here first!

12-27-07 10:38 PM
    Omigosh! That's what's been doing it!! I was wondering why I kept setting off store alarms...thought maybe I had one of those stickers on the bottom of my shoe or in my bag or something. Weird.
    12-28-07 03:24 PM
    Interesting...

Both the lady and I have the 8130 and the security alarm when off as we entered and exited a Lord & Taylor, but nothing happened while in Bloomingdales.

MB
    12-28-07 07:38 PM
    It always happens in drug stores for me. Duane Reade and Rite Aid
    01-07-08 11:15 PM
    Yes, it happened to me at both Blockbuster and Best Buy! Blockbuster had me empty my entire purse, and go back and forth thru there security. Best Buy did not even pass a nod, to me! Hummm! I do not know why it does this sometimes!
    01-08-08 02:00 AM
    Just to throw this into the ring for a toss around, would the sensors in the stores be tripped by the BB at the right time when it is transmitting the 'I am here' signal to the local towers?
    01-08-08 04:54 AM
    It sounds like it has something to do with security magnetic tags. My roommate used to deal with it a lot at Target and Best Buy. What we found out was also a magnetic tag. He had Nissan Altima - it cames with a tag containing all information in case of loss of keys etc. Working like micro chip. He didn't realize he carried it around in his wallet. After he left it at home, there was no issue.
    01-08-08 11:25 AM
    I think stores can also set there detectors to different sensitivities. Like during Christmas they usually turn then down a notch or two because they are too busy to deal with it. That may contribute to why some go off and some dont. I also a victim of an Old Navy tag sewn into my jacket, that was so annoying and embarrassing
    03-06-08 09:12 AM
    i'm so glad you posted this! i went into target & it kept going off. it was embarrassing until they realized i wasn't stealing anything lol
    03-06-08 02:30 PM
    I've had it happen when I have my BlackBerry and car keys (with the remote door opener) in the same hand. Sometimes I just hold the BlackBerry up, above the sensors by the door as I go through and it's ok.
    So far, it's happened at Target and a couple of supermarkets.
    04-05-08 03:52 PM
    It definitely sounds like it the phone itself, the phone emits RF which may be close to the Frequency of the Security Alarm, hence triggering the sensor. If this is the case, then RIM is under no obligation to remedy the problem.
    04-05-08 07:32 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD