When I make or receive a call, I don't hear the other party and the don't hear me. Before posting, I have searched and exhausted every potential fix for this problem I could find on this forum. Can anybody make any techincal suggestions?

all buttons work properly
    screen functions normally
    ringer/text message/email sounds still working properly
    volume set to max
    replaced ear speaker with one from a known working pearl 8130
    profile set full loud
    attempted battery pull
    media player does not make any sound through phone anymore but does through headphones
    cdma v4.5.0.77

i tried searching the forum and the closest similar issue I could find was one on a Storm that was stuck in headset mode. I also tried the cut off qtip cleaning method in the headset port with no luck

I haven't had the chance to try through the factory headphones (lost it) or a bluetooth setup but so far all seems that it would work. When using normal headphones (no mic) I can hear my side of a phone call just fine.

Thanks
    02-22-10 04:11 PM
    Well, I'm on a verizon 8130 as well, and I would start with updating your phones os. the newest version is .175 -- maybe that is your problem?
    02-22-10 04:58 PM
    I can make a 2 way conversation using my wired headset. I have not tested bluetooth but it would appear that would work as well.

Another observation I just realized- In the past month or 2, prior to my speaker failing, when I picked up an incoming call, for the first second, the phone would be on speakerphone and then it would switch to the handset where it would function normally for the duration of the call. That was an issue so minor that I had just dismissed it and lived with it. Now when my phone rings and I answer it, I still hear the phone call for 1 second on speakerphone and with the same timing as before but it switches to no audio either way.

I wasn't sure if I posted my OS version correctly. it lists v4.5.0.77 (Platform 3.2.0.51) first line in Options->About

I upgraded the OS back in August 2009. Have there been any updates for an 8130 since then? I wouldn't have imagined so since by now it's an older unit.
    02-23-10 10:41 AM
    Yup, one came out in January 2010. I would recommend doing an os update; the newest is 4.5.0.175 -- and yes, you did post your os version correctly (v.4.5.0.77).
    02-23-10 01:47 PM
    i just upgraded to 4.5.0.175 and it still has the same problem. I also confirmed that it still has the same problem while connected to a bluetooth device. It still pairs up fine and over the bluetooth I hear the key tones (hangup button) but no phone audio. The only way I can make or receive a phone call is to use the wired headset.
    02-23-10 06:09 PM
    That is really weird! It sounds more like a problem with the phone itself, rather than an os issue. I can't think of anything else except for taking it in to a Verizon store to see if their techs can fix it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-10 12:30 AM
    well thanks for the OS update suggestion. I assumed I had the most recent one. I don't have much faith in verizon techs around here, especially with a blackberry. I expect them to just try to sell me a new phone and get me on a new contract.

The only other thing that I think it could be is the phone processor might be stressed or overtaxed by data stored on the phone. I have 2 email accounts. I've noticed certain operations had been slowing down considerably over the past few months (especially when scrolling though pictures saved on the it) I try to store as much data on my miniSD card but the phone still seems stressed. I would like to clear out most of my apps but don't know how to do it. Some of them don't seem to uninstall cleanly.
    02-24-10 06:32 AM
    Hmm, that could be it (low memory) -- from your home screen, hold the alt key and press E A C E -it will have your file free and file total at the bottom. what are those #'s? -- Also, if you are concerned about memory, I recommend checking out This Link. That should help you get started. Again, good luck!
    Last edited by MissoulaMarinerFan; 02-24-10 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added link
    02-24-10 11:38 AM
    I have an 8120 and I am having the same problem. I cannot hear anything on my handset, but apparently, the person on the other end can hear me just fine. When I turn on speakerphone or use the hands-free, no problems at all. I do not have a wireless package (shockingly, I only use my BB as a phone), so I doubt very much that it is a memory problem in my case. I am getting ready to contact the company I bought the warranty through, but I hate to be without it, even for a short time... Another question - are saved messages saved on my memory card or will I lose those if I send the phone in?
    02-25-10 09:12 AM
    blueroses, your saved messages get saved on your device memory, not the memory card, so you may be having a low memory issue too -- even if you think you have a bunch of memory, it is always best to check. It is very easy and quick to do anyway:
    1. from home screen, hold "alt" key and press E A C E
    2. scroll to the bottom of the screen, and it will show how much memory you have free on your device, and how much memory your phone started with.
    02-25-10 10:20 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I show 30369368 bytes remaining. That seems like quite a lot...

Is there a way to move my "saved" texts somewhere so I will not lose them should I decide to send the phone in for repairs or get a new one?
    02-25-10 10:43 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I show 30369368 bytes remaining. That seems like quite a lot...

Is there a way to move my "saved" texts somewhere so I will not lose them should I decide to send the phone in for repairs or get a new one?
    Actually, that is only about 3 megabytes of free space, which isn't very good at all for a BB 8130. For the BB 8130 to run optimally, you need no less than 7 megs free, so that is probably why you are having problems. I would check out the link that I gave a couple responses up. It'll help you free up memory. I would try that before taking it somewhere. As far as I know, there is no way to save your messages somewhere else on your phone besides the device memory. Good luck!
    02-25-10 11:33 AM
    Thanks for the tips!

I was able to download all my SMS messages and then downloaded MagicBerry, which translated them into English... And, miraculously, my sound is back tonight. I guess I need to accept the phone is not long for this world...

Another question. Since I do not have a web package and just use my BlackBerry as a fancy phone, how do I update my software?

Thanks!
    02-26-10 09:48 PM
    I never got my audio to work on my unit so I eventually got another used 8130. It's not pink like my previous one though. Anyway I had checked free memory on the suspect phone and it was more than 3mb for sure. The only other worthwhile thing to mention is that the speakerphone button (O-P) did nothing during a call while it has been having problems. Never showed the speakerphone indicator
    03-02-10 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD