I have had pearl for over a month now. One day i noticed my message list & call log was blank. I found info on doing a battery pull and all was ok. I also erased unnecessary apps like other languages
    and sample video. I also bought a memory card and switched everything possible 2 it...So I should be ok right?! But I have continued 2 have the same problem. When I do battery pull, my available memory becomes about 16 mil out of 50. But after using for a day my memory is empty again! The only thing I use phone mem for is texting. It's hard 2 believe that a "smartphone " can't handle a hundred text messages w/ out overloading. Please help. - frustrated BB user
    03-27-08 12:32 AM
    I have had pearl for over a month now. One day i noticed my message list & call log was blank. I found info on doing a battery pull and all was ok. I also erased unnecessary apps like other languages
    and sample video. I also bought a memory card and switched everything possible 2 it...So I should be ok right?! But I have continued 2 have the same problem. When I do battery pull, my available memory becomes about 16 mil out of 50. But after using for a day my memory is empty again! The only thing I use phone mem for is texting. It's hard 2 believe that a "smartphone " can't handle a hundred text messages w/ out overloading. Please help. - frustrated BB user
    Are you correctly closing out of apps? Also, check out this memory thread by JC. It takes a little while to complete but it will solve your problems. After I did it I run 26-30 MB free even with the apps that I have installed.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ax-memory.html
    03-27-08 12:44 AM
    Do you have any themes or third party apps installed? Some themes can leak memory. Also if you use the switch app tool often, it can use up all you memory.
    03-27-08 12:44 AM
    Thanks 4 the replies. I do not have any themes or third party apps installed. I downloaded a couple games one at a time when I first got phone but deleted them. I've even deleted a couple apps that come w/ the phone that I don't use, in addition 2 the foreign languages and sample video. And nothing seems 2 help. Does 16-18 mil Kb's available out of 50 mil sound right? Does 50 mil total sound right? 16-18 is after a battery pull, which is almost daily. And from there it just drains... And I actually never use switch app. I always close and go back 2 main menu out of habit.
    03-27-08 01:19 PM
    Thanks 4 the replies. I do not have any themes or third party apps installed. I downloaded a couple games one at a time when I first got phone but deleted them. I've even deleted a couple apps that come w/ the phone that I don't use. And nothing seems 2 help. Does 16-18 mil Kb's available put of 50 mil sound right? Does 50 mil total sound right? 16-18 is after a battery pull, which is almost daily. And from there it just drains... And I actually never use switch app. I always close and go back 2 main menu out of habit.
    03-27-08 01:27 PM
    Is the apparent memory leak issue with the pearl (vzw 8130 specifically) fixed with the recent OS update release? I don't get how this can be a constant problem with no fixes yet other than battery pulls every X days.
    03-27-08 01:35 PM
    Black Berries are just like your home PC.

Your home computer has X memory when you bought it or upgraded it. Now if you leave your computer on all the time and run multiple applications all day and every day for a while you will notice not all your memory comes back. Yeah windows hogs it's own half but the memory from each application never comes back until your reboot. Well if your home computer had X number of memory equivalent to a black berries around today, you will see a decrease in memory, because running applications which allot if 3rd party software and application running in the background.

To keep the Blackberry running, it Has to free up memory to use so it doesn't crash or blow up

So rebooting or pulling the battery Free's up memory that never was released back into the phone..

Hope this helps.
    03-27-08 02:25 PM
    I can understand that but it seems that pearl users complain about this a lot. I've yet to have any memory issues on my 8830. Granted, I've only installed like 2 third-party apps.

So if you make sure you are closing out applications instead of running them in the background, limiting the installation of third-party apps, and offloading your media files to a media card, your BB should run smoothly?
    03-27-08 02:36 PM
    Yes and no……

Here’s my understanding to it…. When a app is open no matter if it’s closed or not, you will still never get back memory that it was using before….. Hence the reboot factor or soft reset…..

Even with out 3rd party apps installed, you will slowly loss a little bit everyday, why? Because sending emails and text messages and other basic processes on the phone us memory as well and still don’t give back what they took…

What memory you sitting at now on your 8830?
    03-27-08 02:44 PM
    My free memory is at just under 12MB
    03-27-08 02:46 PM
    Here's my 2 cents.....I uninstalled the video, extra languages, etc. I have only 2 third party apps installed and 2 additional themes. I ALWAYS close the app I am using and never use the 'switch application' feature.

After a battery pull, I get 14.6 meg out of the total 50 meg. During the day with e-mails, texts, etc. (no mms) it wil drop to about 11-12 meg.
    03-27-08 03:12 PM
    That's good. Do you do the reset often?
    03-27-08 03:14 PM
    I only do it a couple of times a week. Is it something that should be done more often?
    03-27-08 03:17 PM
    I wouldn't do a reset until I hit around 10mb, then back up to 15mb i got, but it takes a couple days to get there.
    03-28-08 02:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD