Hello all, I am ready to buy to my first blackberry pearl 8120. But have a few questions before i buy. The reason why i am going with the 8120 is for the wifi. I do not care about the data plan, and at this moment don't want it, since 95% I am around a wifi network. So I am wondering A) will i be able to surf the net without a data plan by wifi? B) will i be able to set up gmail to work strictly over wifi (without a data plan). C) is there a way to password protect/block any program from using the internet via a data plan? any information would be great. Thanks
    07-14-08 10:56 PM
    1. Yes, using the BB browser set to wifi mode.
    2.You will probably need to have the hotspot add on to get email over wifi.
    3. You shouldn't need to. If you don't have a data plan, they shouldn't be able to access the net.
    07-14-08 11:07 PM
    well thats the fun part. I do have unlimited txt messaging, and in order to do picture messaging they require a pay-per use data plan. (hence the blocking of internet, so i don't get stuck with $43 dollars of usage, hehe). Thanks
    07-15-08 07:09 AM
    You can browse without data by using the WiFi Browser, as Sunkast stated!

I will provide you with a link for some other apps that you can use on WiFi only!! Also, check out my WiFi guide (link is in my signature... )

The GMail app does not work on WiFi only And I highly recommend turning off your mobile network connection if you are concerned about an app racking up data usage since you are required to have the "pay-per-use" for MMS!

Off topic, but I like how TMo gives the ability to use MMS by adding a "BlackBerry Feature Enabler", which is a little voice-only data addon allowing MMS.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/bla...se-wifi-29376/

*EDIT* And Welcome to CrackBerry!
    07-15-08 07:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD