Hola ,

I've had the Verizon Pearl 8130, my first bb, for 3 weeks now and am enjoying the funtionality and speed that my Palm Lifedrive could not provide.

I recently downloaded Google Maps on to my phone and was amazed, despite not being able to nail down your location exactly, with the search funtions. I own a Garmin Streetpilot and thought the bb would be a nice complement.

After loading the app I noticed the bb would present a spinning hourglass for no apparent reason. It wasn't like I was opening an app or any execution for that matter. So it made it difficult to quickly open and close apps, make calls, etc. I'm no tech nerd in anyway but it reminded me of some Microsoft OS device!

I deleted the Google Maps and now things are back to normal.

Has anyone experienced these problems and is there a fix? Or is this what I have to expect when working with 3rd party apps?
    12-01-07 02:46 AM
    I have not had this problem on mine. Try reinstalling it and see if it happens again.. Also you can always trry to pull out the battery and restart it. Perhaps it was a memory issue?
    12-01-07 08:35 AM
    Nope no problems with me either. Google maps working well just not real accurate. I have not seen the hour glass but I did learn anytime you are having a problem and you are not sure why. Pull the battery and allow the phone to reboot. It is amazing how many things are solved.
    12-01-07 09:48 AM
    i have had this problem too. i had to uninstall then reinstall now its working great.
    12-01-07 10:14 AM
    Thanks for the advice. It worked.

I reinstalled a couple of days ago and no annoying hour glass.

The thought of removing the battery bothers me. Sounds like like a hard shutdown which can't be great for the device. Just wondering.
    12-02-07 10:43 PM
    I wish you could turn off the Hourglass because it is very annoying when you're playing Java games...
    12-03-07 12:26 AM
    I'm having the same problem but virtually with anything I do - taking a photo, moving around menus. I have 3rd party apps installed - gonna try removing them and see if it improves. I've had to remove the battery after waiting 5 minutes for the hourglass to go away while trying to save a picture (Saving...).

SkinsFan
    12-10-07 01:26 PM
    Hi,
    I've had a similar problem with my 8130 and the hourglass randomly appearing. Various times i use the Pearl (i.e., editing an address or a calender event or even just scrolling through the Pearl's 1st party or factory installed apps) the hourglass will appear, spin which pretty much freezes the Pearl and prevents me from using it. I'll have to leave it for a few minutes and come back to it. It just started doing it this morning.
    I just bought it this week so it's brand new.
    I did add a Kingston 2gb Micro SD memory card but when i remove it i get the same problems.
    I've added some MP3s, ring tones, and a few pix to the SD and to the device itself.
    Last night before i wen to bed i was assigning ring tones to contact names. Not sure what the problem is.
    I'm planning on shutting down and removing the battery. If that doesn't work, I'll back it up and do a factory reboot or what ever it's called.

Any suggestions?
    04-26-08 11:17 AM
    sounds like low (device) memory. Read the threads on pulling the battery & keeping enough free memory on the phone (don't confuse this with your memory card).
    04-26-08 07:12 PM
    Very good UltraLord, You have device memory, and you have a memory card. Two completely different things. Start by deleting the useless applications you are not going to use, for example I deleted Memopad, password keeper, russian and semetic languages, blackberry sample video(takes up lots of memory) and any factory pics. This will free up your device memory and make your berry run smoother. Also, a good idea is to do a battery pull after downloading a 3rd party application, and don't download too many at once. Wait a day or so. And above all, stay up on your forums! your berry will be at the top of it's game...
    04-27-08 05:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD