In general, 12 MB free is necessary for a Pearl 8130 to run properly, right? Each day I start at 12 but if I don't do a daily battery pull it goes down to around 9. Do I need to start deleting things? I clear my email daily and SMS daily. I have several apps installed but all seem pertinent

Sprint Nav
    Pocket Express
    Facebook
    BB Weather
    Opera Mini
    Pandora

I've removed Voice Activated dialing and that freed up a lot of space. I really don't use a lot of the features, what are some other things I can remove easily? I tried uninstalling Sprint software store but I still have an icon, same for BB app world.
    06-18-09 11:18 PM
    That is the number you want to normally be at 12 MB. If you have any themes not in use that you downloaded delete them, also if you are saving pics & ringtones make sure they are on a media card and not the device memory. Use the memory optimization link inmy signature, Reed has it down to a science.
    06-19-09 06:47 AM
    I think some one just made up 12 MB as the magical number... I've had as low as 5 MB and my Pearl ran fine, and didn't delete my call logs or messages...
    06-19-09 09:13 AM
    After a battery pull my Pearl is at a little over 13MB. During the course of the day the memory slowly falls. It normally does not fall below 10MB and performs fine with that much available. If it gets to around 8-9MB it lags a bit. At 5MB I start to see problems, for example, text messages and BBMs deleting automatically.
    I once let it slip to 0MB available, and was only able to have one message in my BBM list at a time, but it still worked.

The BB App World icon, unless you installed it, is just the installer. As I understand it, it was pushed via service books and can't be removed.

Follow the instructions Iceman pointed to and you should be fine, and do battery pulls regularly (I do them at a minimum of twice a week).
    06-19-09 09:46 AM
    I think some one just made up 12 MB as the magical number... I've had as low as 5 MB and my Pearl ran fine, and didn't delete my call logs or messages...
    12 Mb was the minimum Device Reserve Memory in v4.2xx and v4.3xx OS. The latest OS is v4.5xx, that supports a lower 5 Mb reserve memory limit.

That has made a huge difference, memory management was manditory with the earlier OS, everybody was on the memory limit out of the box.

06-19-09 10:01 AM
    Yeah I dont know where the 12mb thing came from either, mine runs fine under 5mb almost all the time. I guess the only thing I notice when its below 5 is that my camera doesnt open as quickly as when it has more memory.
    06-19-09 10:37 AM
    On my pearl with loads of apps etc. I am at around 23-24mb after a batt. pull and it will go to around 20mb at the lowest throughout the day normally.
    06-19-09 11:05 AM
    23-24 MB with loads of apps? I call BS.. Unless you consider launchers apps...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 01:11 PM
    wow i just set up a new 8130 for a friend the other night, and after i set it up new outta the box i could only muster up 16.5mb. my wifes year old 8130 runs at 10 to 12 and seems to run fine, she just uses it as a toy, and she also smart enough to have me load new apps for her.
    06-19-09 02:15 PM
    Well I can screenshot then if you wish. I will screenshot a list of apps etc. But I removed a lot of the default stuff.
    06-19-09 03:23 PM
    Question how did you remove the voice dialing? I have looked and looked but I guess im just over looking it thanks.
    06-19-09 06:00 PM
    You have to download a program that I can't remember exactly what its called.. Maybe JLIM or something... But then you look through your modules and type in "vad" and delete all those files. It will free up about 5 MB..

06-19-09 08:25 PM
    The program is CrackMem, a free utility by our Moderator Pete6.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/cra...eleased-52044/

Follow the direction in Help.
    06-19-09 10:02 PM
    12 Mb was the minimum Device Reserve Memory in v4.2xx and v4.3xx OS. The latest OS is v4.5xx, that supports a lower 5 Mb reserve memory limit.

That has made a huge difference, memory management was manditory with the earlier OS, everybody was on the memory limit out of the box.

Oh reed, I think I love you! Not sure how I missed this info before, but you just made my whole day! I have a pearl, and have followed your mem optimization instructions, by the way, but I have been stressing about my mem getting down around 13, worries be gone!! app store here I come!

06-19-09 10:58 PM
    The program is CrackMem, a free utility by our Moderator Pete6.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/cra...eleased-52044/

Follow the direction in Help.
    MaxMem will also get rid of VAD. Not as in-depth as CrackMem, but you can get it ota at berrycoder.com
    06-20-09 06:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD