OK, so I picked up my first BlackBerry about a month ago from TMob. All was fine untill today. Out of the blue, the buttons (including the pearl) are working very sporradically, and sometimes not at all.

The screen is fine. Sometimes the buttons work for one or two commands. Usually not at all. Have tried battery pulls. No luck. Have reinstalled the OS. No luck.

Hardware?? (I wondered because it seems sometimes it works and sometimes not)

Software?? (Wouldn't a bat pull or reinstall of the OS tell me something there?)

I can still receive calls...but can't get into my phone book to make any.

Strange...

Any thoughts?
    04-29-08 07:12 PM
    How much memory do you have? Options > Status
    04-29-08 07:13 PM
    I can't check it. No means of getting into that screen. Is there a means of looking while connected to the desktop manager software perhaps? As a strange side-note: the trackball will work to scroll side to side from the home page, but I can't select with it or get the main menu to appear at all pushing those buttons.

I had a paltry 32MB san disc chip thingy in there to begin with (from a previous phone) but it was relatively empty. Reformatted it shortly after getting this phone as well just to be sure. Haven't surfed around much, and generally tried to clear my cache, history, phone logs etc. on a fairly regular basis. What about the BB maps app.? I've used it a bit, and I expect it stores a lot of those images locally. Is there an easy way to clear those?
    Last edited by uilleann; 04-29-08 at 07:35 PM.
    04-29-08 07:30 PM
    I suggest you contact tmo to get a warranty exchange or go into a store and get a new one instantly.
    04-29-08 07:32 PM
    I agree w/Cindy.
    I had some issues with a few of my center buttons only working 1 out of every 3 times I hit them, so I did the canned air bit and it fixed the problem, but yours sounds way more serious.
    04-29-08 08:11 PM
    Interesting - OK, so I took the trackball out (though did NOT disassemble it completely). Blew a bit of canned air in the opening...ok...quite a bit actually. At least more than just one little short burst. A quick wipe with a dry q-tip on the main contact below the pearl (the one you click down onto in order to select a menu item) and put it all back together.

All in all very simple.

Things seem to be working again...at least for now....

(que spooky music) bum-bum-baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

At any rate, I also called Tmobile and am having them ship me a new unit just to be safe. Guess I'll get a new case out of this deal at the least huh?

Thanks all!

Bri~
    04-29-08 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD