i don't want to pay for the data plan so is it worth it to buy a blackberry pearl and use wifi?

Free Tibet!
    youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ST0EJ6xtc
    07-28-08 12:46 AM
    YES, but....

Data prices have come down and the unit is so much more useful if you pop for a data plan. While trying to do the same thing that you want to, I discovered that some applications do not work consistently over WiFi. I am not sure why. Maybe I don't know how to make them do what I want them to. Take a look at Opera Mini 4 as a Web browser and LogicMail 1.0.1 as an e-mail client. They work as alternatives to the native BB apps and will work without a BB data plan. While I passed on the BB data plan for now, I did get a regular data plan (on at&t) for $15 a month. The full blown personal BB data plan on at&t is $30 a month. On T-Mobile it is $20. I'd probably go for the full thing if I was on T-Mobile. $20 is about the max I am willing to pay.

Prior to getting the data plan, I tried to do lots of things over just WiFi. Several things worked but I also frequently got unable to connect messages and had issues doing various OTA (over the air) downloads of various apps. I'd much rather that various software developers offer users a choice of OTA or download and install, but many do not.

Basically it is my feeling that "WiFi only" is viable. It will allow you to do many things. It was not enough for me and I found it limiting enough that I ended up springing for a data plan. This may not continue to be the case as software vendors are learning to do things differently. On the iPhone, I can do pretty much anything via WiFi and I have not run into this limitation.

Good luck and I hope this helped.

A.
    Last edited by akwarner; 11-21-08 at 10:36 AM.
    07-28-08 07:41 AM
    Get the data plan. Unlimited is the way to go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-08 08:02 AM
    I am not sure why. Maybe I don't know how to make them do what I want them to. Take a look at Opera Mini 4 as a Web browser and LogicMail 1.0.1 as an e-mail client. They work as alternatives to the native BB apps and will work without a BB data plan.

The BlackBerry Browser works on WiFi only and is much better than Opera Mini (IMO). As for email, TiggitMail works on WiFi only and LogicMail does as well. I personally did not like LogicMail that much. JiveTalk also works on WiFi only!

Prior to getting the data plan, I tried to do lots of things over just WiFi. Several things worked but I also frequently got unable to connect messages and had issues doing various OTA (over the air) downloads of various apps. I'd much rather that various software developers over users a choice of OTA or download and install, but many do not.

This is because you probably never had the default BB Browser configured correctly!! I have installed countless apps OTA without any issues at all...
    I totally agree that a data plan on your BlackBerry unleashes all of its potential, but I am unsure why you had some of the problems you had

I went for months with no data plan at all on my 8320 with WiFi I learned a lot and saved some cash, and ended up adding the email only addon ($10/month) back onto my Berry.

Take a look at my 'Complete WiFi Guide'... link is in my signature. Within that guide I also link to another thread on applications that use WiFi. The options for applications that run on WiFi only are limited, but if you want to pull of no data plan and still get functionality it is possible (you will just never have the ability to be as functional as you would with a data plan!)
    07-28-08 08:38 AM
    no its not ...get the data plan...no data plan...no net no email no messenger no bb messenger...ugh sucks the life out of the bb
    07-28-08 12:05 PM
    if your like me and just want it for the keyboard and media functions go ahead and get it. but if it is for business use, i'd say no. and if your luck the carrier will screw up and give you data free like they did for me
    07-29-08 12:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD