01-20-10 08:13 AM
26 12
tools
    Hey guys,

I got my new Pearl a few days ago and love it. However, one of the reasons I bought it was for the browsing of websites and I can't do that because there isn't a browser on my phone. I thought that all blackberries came with a default web browser - but I haven't been able to find it or use it.

Can anyone help me out? Do I need to install my web browser separately? Thanks.
    04-23-07 12:42 AM
    No need to worry - you definitely have a browser - or you should have a browser. By the way, Congratulations on the new addition

You probably know this but here is a list of Pearl Features - I thought they might be helpful. Is there an icon that indicates Internet Browser when all of your icons are showing? Or it doesn't exist? Who is your carrier? Like if it's Cingular for example, do you see a Cingular Browser?
    Browser on The Pearl
    Last edited by MMB916; 04-23-07 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Remove text
    04-23-07 01:17 AM
    Just to check... Do you have a BlackBerry Data Plan?
    04-23-07 08:31 AM
    [QUOTE=MMB916;6779]No need to worry - you definitely have a browser - or you should have a browser. By the way, Congratulations on the new addition

You probably know this but here is a list of Pearl Features - I thought they might be helpful. Is there an icon that indicates Internet Browser when all of your icons are showing? Or it doesn't exist? Who is your carrier? Like if it's Cingular for example, do you see a Cingular Browser?

Thanks

The phone was given to me as a gift. It's an AT&T phone, but I have a cingular contract. I do not see a Cingular browser or a regular browser. Normally wouldn't there be a browser icon or a go-to icon? It's not in my menu lists...

As far as a BlackBerry Data Plan, I do not have one.

Any help is appreciated
    04-23-07 11:08 AM
    No need to worry - you definitely have a browser - or you should have a browser. By the way, Congratulations on the new addition

Thanks

The phone was given to me as a gift. It's an AT&T phone, but I have a cingular contract. I do not see a Cingular browser or a regular browser. Normally wouldn't there be a browser icon or a go-to icon? It's not in my menu lists...

As far as a BlackBerry Data Plan, I do not have one.

Any help is appreciated
    04-23-07 11:10 AM
    You really need to get a 'data plan' - welcome to the world of the BlackBerry!
    04-23-07 11:22 AM
    You really need to get a 'data plan' - welcome to the world of the BlackBerry!
    How would I go about getting a data plan? Is there a website that I can view this plan at? Once I get it, does it give me a web browsing feature? And shouldn't the phone come with a standard web browser anyways?
    Last edited by serdna; 04-23-07 at 11:29 AM.
    04-23-07 11:26 AM
    The phone can only be used as a phone and for SMS until you get a BB Data Plan. You can get an unlimited BB Data from Cingular/AT&T for $29.99/mo with qualifying voice plan. Until you get the data plan, you won't have a browser.
    04-23-07 01:28 PM
    **EDITED thread title to make more descriptive**
    04-23-07 01:33 PM
    **EDITED thread title to make more descriptive**
    Good deal. So once I activate this via cingular, do they automatically send the software to my phone?
    04-23-07 01:46 PM
    Even though you don't have a data plan, you should still have the MEdianet icon and the BB Browser icon, they just won't work w/o the data plan.

Short answer is, no, they won't automatically send you the software to your phone. They think it is already on there.

By any chance, do you have the Red Pearl, or the Black Pearl? Since its an AT&T/Cingular phone, I am asking b/c the "missing browser" is a common issue with the Red Pearls, sounds like you might be another one.

If it is a Red Pearl, did you sync the phone to your computer? This is normally when the browsers disappear.

If you answered "Yes" to both of these questions, then try this thread after your data plan is activated, and see if that doesn't clear up your problem.

Post back here if you have any problems, we'll be glad to help.
    04-23-07 06:22 PM
    Even though you don't have a data plan, you should still have the MEdianet icon and the BB Browser icon, they just won't work w/o the data plan.

Short answer is, no, they won't automatically send you the software to your phone. They think it is already on there.

By any chance, do you have the Red Pearl, or the Black Pearl? Since its an AT&T/Cingular phone, I am asking b/c the "missing browser" is a common issue with the Red Pearls, sounds like you might be another one.

If it is a Red Pearl, did you sync the phone to your computer? This is normally when the browsers disappear.

If you answered "Yes" to both of these questions, then try this thread after your data plan is activated, and see if that doesn't clear up your problem.

Post back here if you have any problems, we'll be glad to help.
    Not correct, I don't have Cingular to confirm the MediaNet browser, but I am positive that the BB Browser icon will not be present until you have a BB Data Plan and your carrier has pushed the correct service books to your device.
    04-23-07 10:39 PM
    Unless something has changed, the icons were on my phone in the store, before the service books were sent.

Either way, they aren't much good without the data plan, so it doesn't matter much one way or the other.
    04-24-07 11:50 AM
    yup, it will be all set up for you.
    04-24-07 03:13 PM
    You will need to go into the Host Routing Table and register to the network.

Go into Settings/Options.
    Then to Advanced Settings/Options.
    Scroll down to the Host Routing Table. Once inside the HRT click the menu key.
    The option to Register Now appears. Click on that.
    You will get a message that the registration has been sent.
    Return to the home screen.
    Your browser icons should appear.

If they have not, try resending your Service Books. If this fails try calling tech support.
    05-01-07 12:13 PM
    It is possible that after sending service books, either via Host Routing Table or BIS page, that you might have to do a battery pull. I've noticed a 50/50 chance of this happening.
    05-01-07 12:16 PM
    If the browser icons haven't shown up then I would. Like sending the Service Books resetting the device is always a good option.
    05-01-07 01:31 PM
    This may seem pretty elementary, but are you sure you (or someone else) didn't hide the icons?

From the HOME screen, press the MENU key (the one next to the SEND key). Make sure that 'SHOW ALL' is checked.

The browser icon(s) look like a world globe.
    05-03-07 04:04 PM
    Brilliant point!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-07 05:22 PM
    that is some good tips..Thanks. I just swapped out my 8800 and went back to my 8700. I have to my thumbs adjusted for when the curve comes out!
    05-08-07 11:56 AM
    I just bought my pearl from Cingular and it had the browser already loaded! I pay 29.99 a month for unlimited texts, browsing and emailing!! I LOVE IT! I have a problem though, I downloaded my first theme (im a NEW berry-addict) today off mobile41 and it looks awesome! I unzipped to a folder and used my desktop manager to install and everything! But now... MY INTERNET IS GONE! None of my links are "click"able and the icons for my two browsers are GONE! I tried changing the theme back and my browser icons are still missing.

Can somebody help me please???
    06-16-07 10:52 PM
    In order to see the browser icon you MUST have a data plan and register the HRT (host routing table) to get the browser configuration and service books. If you have normal wap service just install opera browser with a USB and then surf that way. Hope that helps!

Andrew
    06-17-07 12:12 AM
    I bet you got your problem sorted out but I had the same issue and here's the solution.

Go to Options>Mobile Network.

Once you are there - turn Data Plans ON.

Voila!
    06-07-09 06:55 PM
    Hi, I have a Blackberry Pearl 8130 with 4.5 OS from Verizon. I flashed the phone and now have it hooked up with PagePlus Pre-Paid. I have an unlimited plan, last month my browser worked immediately, now this month it does not work. The browser IS installed and ALL of the service books are there. I called pageplus and there is nothing they can do on their end. My point is, you DON'T have to have a Blackberry Data Plan like all of you have said. Nothing at all in anyway has changed since last month when my browser worked. All of the sudden it just doesn't work?!
    01-18-10 05:15 PM
    try clicking the blackberry icon then clicking on "show all", if that that does not do anything then try "alt + back key" (not the the red one the other white back key) it lets you switch apps. one of them is the browser. But when you click you'll get something like " you don't have any service books etc".
    i recommend you go to your carriers blackberry website like mine is "optus.blackberry.com"
    there you can register for bb bis server. Then your browser should appear once registered .
    hope i helped.
    Gratz on your joining.
    01-19-10 12:58 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD