Hi guys,

What would I gain and lose if I went from the Z30 to the Passport?

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 02:01 AM
    Nothing. Everything about the Passport is better unless you really don't like physical keyboards lol. The biggest thing you'll lose is the dark theme in your settings screen.
    methodinsane likes this.
    09-18-15 02:11 AM
    Does the keyboard of passport have some ingress protection?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 02:27 AM
    Nothing. Everything about the Passport is better unless you really don't like physical keyboards lol. The biggest thing you'll lose is the dark theme in your settings screen.
    Wrong. The PP is wider and it does create a different experience (I have both). The physical keyboard issue aside, you will have to adjust to the wider display, and to some extent- the bulkiness of having it your pocket.

I have both and love both....but they are very different beasts. The Z30 learns your typing and autoceorrects accordingly. Anyone who says they can type faster on the PP is lying..... I can fly on the Z30 like there's no tomorrow. BUT....having a wider screen is great for reading documents, emails, and messaging. The Z30 is an all-around beast and is usualy my daily driver....the PP is a great backup.

Unless you "need" the PP, the Z30 feels better as a daily driver.... if you don't need the physical keyboard.
    methodinsane and 3yE like this.
    09-18-15 03:28 AM
    Does the keyboard of passport have some ingress protection?

Posted via CB10
    No.
    09-18-15 03:30 AM
    Wrong. The PP is wider and it does create a different experience (I have both). The physical keyboard issue aside, you will have to adjust to the wider display, and to some extent- the bulkiness of having it your pocket.

I have both and love both....but they are very different beasts. The Z30 learns your typing and autoceorrects accordingly. Anyone who says they can type faster on the PP is lying..... I can fly on the Z30 like there's no tomorrow. BUT....having a wider screen is great for reading documents, emails, and messaging. The Z30 is an all-around beast and is usualy my daily driver....the PP is a great backup.

Unless you "need" the PP, the Z30 feels better as a daily driver.... if you don't need the physical keyboard.
    I have the z30 since Jan 2014 and still rocking it since. Have no plan to upgrade to PP.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 04:06 AM
    You should also be aware that some apps are not available on the Passport although they are available for the Z30, also some apps don't display properly on the PP, you lose the bottom of the screen.

Don't get me wrong I love the Passport but it isn't without it's own problems.

Before you take the plunge make sure there are no apps you are currently using and need that are not available on the PP.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    methodinsane likes this.
    09-18-15 04:46 AM
    PassPort is lcd so it can go a LOT dimmer for those reading in the dark moments.
    PassPort volume buttons are better, I always had problems with my z30 buttons.
    Z30 displays mobile webpages better. I've found that I want to zoom out to see the whole picture on a webpage using my PassPort only to find you can't zoom as it's a mobile version of the site. So you get 80% of picture shown.
    PassPort voice calling is unbelievable it's soo good. When my brother phones me it is so clear.
    PassPort heats up, in my opinion, too much in the top right corner.
    My Mireo Don't Panic sat nav displays a lot better in my Z30. I'm forever zooming in and out on the PassPort.
    I found that Z30 implementation of the autocorrect works better for me as space doesn't really change much unlike the Z30.
    PassPort is heavier and bulkier but suprisingly you get used to it very quickly.
    The PassPort does seem louder to me.
    The PassPort gets a lot more attention from other people.
    Using the speaker when on a call is soo much better on PassPort than the Z30. I find I can easily have a conversation in the car using the speaker unlike the Z30 where I had to hold the phone close to hear it properly.

That's some of my thoughts. I have Z30 and PassPort SE for comparison so if u wanna know just ask me.

Posted via CB10
    methodinsane likes this.
    09-18-15 05:10 AM
    I'm on my second day after upgrading to the Passport. Overall I think I was significantly faster typing on the Z30 but there are some things that I type faster on the Passport such as when I need to use numbers or characters. I put my Passport through its paces yesterday and it lasted me a whole day which wouldn't have been possible with my Z30.

It may just be my imagination, but I noticed that I find all the audio outputs (speakers, earpiece, aux output for earphones) are a little louder or clearer. However, I still like the fullness of sound from the Z30 speakers.

I adapted to the form factor and keyboard relatively easily. Only thing I'm not sure about yet is if the form factor will be an inconvenience for outdoor activities. Unless you have very large hands, you can say goodbye to one handed use for this device. I probably have average medium-sized hands and I would say one-handed use is impossible. Even if you can hit the keys on the other side you probably wouldn't be able to do it without the risk of dropping your phone and it'd also be incredibly inefficient.

The Passport SE keyboard is definitely better than the original. Using the keyboard as shortcut keys is also awesome. I haven't looked back to my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 07:14 AM
    Anyone here moved from a Passport to a Z30 can share their experience?

From my Jamaican Passport
    09-18-15 08:17 AM
    Anyone here moved from a Passport to a Z30 can share their experience?

From my Jamaican Passport
    Smaller battery, faster typing, screen is not as bright but also not as dim. Less hardware build issues but slower processor.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 08:29 AM
    Using a Z30 daily but type faster on a Passport. I have nothing against touch screen typing, I'm just not good at it but it has benefits for one-handed use.
    09-18-15 11:45 AM
    passport all the way
    09-18-15 06:27 PM
    I went from Z30 to Passport SE. Primarily because I missed the PKB. I had a curve and then a q10 before the Z. Z30 was great for shorter messages but found it frustrating to type longer emails and messages. Too many errors. Maybe it's my bigger hands. Feel more comfortable with the Passport keyboard and am more accurate with spelling, as opposed to my touchscreen errors. I can sacrifice some typing speed for accuracy.
    Form factor takes getting used to but now it's not an issue really. Z30 is really nice to lay down with and use one handed. Get used to more two handed time with the Passport. That being said, extremely happy with my switch. Good luck!

Posted via my Passport SE
    09-18-15 07:03 PM
    You lose single-hand convenience, but gain better specs on processors and screen. And it's a different form factor, can't really say it's a gain or loss, just different.

And that's pretty much it.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    09-18-15 08:14 PM
    I was very fast with the Z30 keyboard, and I'm still getting used to the pkb. I'm catching on and really liking it. I like having LTE again, and I also like being able to type in the first few letters of someone's name to get their contact information and start a call or email. Bringing the Z30 kb up with two fingers was always tricky -- it popped back down frequently and I'd inadvertently initiate a call sometimes.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    09-18-15 08:24 PM
    I'm on my second day after upgrading to the Passport. Overall I think I was significantly faster typing on the Z30 but there are some things that I type faster on the Passport such as when I need to use numbers or characters. I put my Passport through its paces yesterday and it lasted me a whole day which wouldn't have been possible with my Z30.

It may just be my imagination, but I noticed that I find all the audio outputs (speakers, earpiece, aux output for earphones) are a little louder or clearer. However, I still like the fullness of sound from the Z30 speakers.

I adapted to the form factor and keyboard relatively easily. Only thing I'm not sure about yet is if the form factor will be an inconvenience for outdoor activities. Unless you have very large hands, you can say goodbye to one handed use for this device. I probably have average medium-sized hands and I would say one-handed use is impossible. Even if you can hit the keys on the other side you probably wouldn't be able to do it without the risk of dropping your phone and it'd also be incredibly inefficient.

The Passport SE keyboard is definitely better than the original. Using the keyboard as shortcut keys is also awesome. I haven't looked back to my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    About the phone lasting a day, think about this, it was still settling in. This thing refuses to die sometimes

Post via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    09-18-15 08:58 PM

Really this a matter of opinion and here's mine. Loved the Z30. Thought I would keep it alongside the Passport. So in preparation for the Passport I used my Z30 in landscape mode for the week leading up to me getting the Passport. Initially I thought that I would miss the display of the Z30 in landscape while watching videos but that never materialized.

Really, once I held and used the Passport it rendered my Z30 OBSOLETE. I tried using it on many different occasions. But for me the love affair was over. Nothing about the Z30 was/is better. The power, speed, and functionality of the Passport was/is obviously better. Finally I gave my Z30 to a BBM contact and I've never regretted it at all. I just couldn't go back to using it at all for any length of time.

I will say that the Passport for me is a dream device. It covers All the bases for me. I can't see any phone ever surpassing it for what I need and want from handheld device. The Z30 is a beast but the Passport is in a class of its own.

Posted one-handed via Passport

Ps.

To the posters that talk about using the Passport in mobile view and how the pages render. Why not just use Desktop Mode? The pages render beautifully. It's almost pointless to have this wide screen and then use a mobile version of a website. Just my two cents. My opinion is just that: my opinion.
    methodinsane likes this.
    09-18-15 09:18 PM
    Cheers guys I really appreciate the replies.

I'm sold on the Passport and will hopefully pick it up when I can. I'm very happy with the Z30, it replaced my aging iPhone 4s. But honestly I got a Z30 because at the time I couldn't afford the Passport. In Ireland no carriers offer BlackBerry 10 phones. I bought it second hand cheap for a mint device pretty much unused. If I could have I would have jumped straight for the Passport.

Time to do some research on what's the cheapest way for me to join the Passport family =) The slider looks great but I'd be happy with a Passport. Plus the slider will no doubt be a price I can't afford.

Thanks again!
    JP

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 02:12 PM