So like many of you, I also picked up a new Passport this past weekend. I got the SE.

I'm currently using my launch Z30. It's over 3 years old, and is starting to show its age. I really debated about getting the SE. I'm not a fan of the Passport keyboard, but the phone looks so good! I'm truly hoping I'll get used to it, and love it like my Z30.

If they had released a true follow up to the Z30, I would have got that. But this is a good second choice.

What things should I know moving from Z30 to the Passport SE?

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    12-01-16 12:39 PM
    BB10 is BB10... other than the neat keyboard it should be much the same as your Z30. Might find a few BB10 apps are not available...
    12-01-16 01:05 PM
    How does the camera compare? Specs say 13mp vs 8mp. It is noticeably better? I take a lot of photos of my kid right now with my Z30. Will the quality be better? Or the shooting experience?

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    12-01-16 01:11 PM
    How does the camera compare? Specs say 13mp vs 8mp. It is noticeably better? I take a lot of photos of my kid right now with my Z30. Will the quality be better? Or the shooting experience?

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    The camera is reasonably good however the focus speed is still fairly slow and consequently pics of your child may not be much improved UNLESS you can get him /her to keep still. If the subject is still you can take very nice pics. If you do a search of the Passport forum here, you can find a very lengthy thread with photos to give you an idea.

Posted via CB10
    skilas likes this.
    12-01-16 02:19 PM
    I can't get my PP to focus half the time. I don't use it for arty photos but is a pain when need to record an image for something. Maybe there is a function I ned to learn about that will attach the focus to a particular object.

Posted via CB10
    skilas likes this.
    12-01-16 03:44 PM
    Maybe there is a function I ned to learn about that will attach the focus to a particular object.
    The "function" is to be incredibly still while taking the picture. I do this by holding the Passport between my thumb at the bottom of the device and my forefinger at the top, then press the space bar (not the blue shutter button on screen) with my thumb on the other hand to take the shot. Good Luck!
    skilas likes this.
    12-01-16 03:49 PM
    Never cease to amaze the most popular excuse, the 2-3 years old phone become obsolete. Z30 capable do anything that passport can, maybe a bit slower. I moved from Z30 to passport se because I want wider screen, pkb, and most of all I just like PP SE on pictures, fell in love. So never bull**** myself that I need new gear because of the older limitation. BlackBerry always had app limitation against android and ios, it's not new story. I can do everything on my old nokia n8, but moved on because of desire for a new tool. If I had to I can place my Sim back to my old nokia and live with it perfectly. Of course I'd miss the pkb, speed, comfortable browsing, but I can do everything I need. Of course it's not true for everybody, but I see a lot hype for new gadget, and people tell themself funny excuses.
    Z30 is an excellent device, for 90% of smartphone usage (browsing, music, communication, map, camera, calendar) easily hold up with any phone, even outmatch in some aspects (battery life, vkb, stability, multitask, hub). And I really miss the Amoled infinite contrast in dark environment.
    PP SE is the best phone on market in my opinion, better in many aspects than Z30. Worthy upgrade from Z30? Yes and no. Yes for browsing and accurate typing and a big no if you just want something new because you think your phone is outdated.

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 and YesAndNo like this.
    12-01-16 04:16 PM
    Never cease to amaze the most popular excuse, the 2-3 years old phone become obsolete. Z30 capable do anything that passport can, maybe a bit slower. I moved from Z30 to passport se because I want wider screen, pkb, and most of all I just like PP SE on pictures, fell in love. So never bull**** myself that I need new gear because of the older limitation. BlackBerry always had app limitation against android and ios, it's not new story. I can do everything on my old nokia n8, but moved on because of desire for a new tool. If I had to I can place my Sim back to my old nokia and live with it perfectly. Of course I'd miss the pkb, speed, comfortable browsing, but I can do everything I need. Of course it's not true for everybody, but I see a lot hype for new gadget, and people tell themself funny excuses.
    Z30 is an excellent device, for 90% of smartphone usage (browsing, music, communication, map, camera, calendar) easily hold up with any phone, even outmatch in some aspects (battery life, vkb, stability, multitask, hub). And I really miss the Amoled infinite contrast in dark environment.
    PP SE is the best phone on market in my opinion, better in many aspects than Z30. Worthy upgrade from Z30? Yes and no. Yes for browsing and accurate typing and a big no if you just want something new because you think your phone is outdated.

Posted via CB10
    I am a big defender of my Z30. But the biggest issues I find of it showing its age are the camera and the battery life (wear and tear). My Z30 battery will not last the day anymore, and typically needs a top up on the drive home from work, otherwise would not last til dinner.

Unfortunately it's disappointing to hear about the camera being similar to the Z30. Focusing really is slow. But I guess that's fine.

And I agree with you about the AMOLED screen. I love it so much.

The joy of getting a new device definitely is an added benefit. But I do think after a few years, electronics show their age. Especially a BB device, with what little support it had, jumping ship.

I hope the wow factor of this new device is what I'm looking for, for the next couple of years. Then time to reevaluate again.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    12-01-16 05:56 PM
    Touch and hold the on-screen shutter button...as you do that, the image will come into focus and the view finder will turn green. Release. Voila, a properly focused photo.

The "function" is to be incredibly still while taking the picture. I do this by holding the Passport between my thumb at the bottom of the device and my forefinger at the top, then press the space bar (not the blue shutter button on screen) with my thumb on the other hand to take the shot. Good Luck!
    brookie229 and skilas like this.
    12-01-16 10:19 PM
    Touch and hold the on-screen shutter button...as you do that, the image will come into focus and the view finder will turn green. Release. Voila, a properly focused photo.
    Yep, that works also. I used to use this method as well, but I find the space bar to be more effective for me. YMMV.
    skilas likes this.
    12-01-16 11:27 PM
    If it focuses wrong, how do re-focus without taking the photo?

On a camera, you press half way, then let go if it's not working. Or push the last half way to take the photo.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    12-02-16 03:50 PM
    Z30 is the best BlackBerry 10 device. Let me explain why. BlackBerry 10 os is so well optimised that I never saw a difference in performance between my passport and z30. I charge my phone every night when I go to bed so while both z30 and passport last me more than a day... it really doesnt matter because iam gonna start with 100% the next day I wake up. The camera is albeit better on passport but in daylight z30 is good too. I dunno about you but I never used physical keyboards before so I was at home with the z30 keyboard but the passport took me awhile to Adjust to. I suggest you to keep z30 and skip the passport.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-16 11:57 PM
    Z30 is the best BlackBerry 10 device. Let me explain why. BlackBerry 10 os is so well optimised that I never saw a difference in performance between my passport and z30. I charge my phone every night when I go to bed so while both z30 and passport last me more than a day... it really doesnt matter because iam gonna start with 100% the next day I wake up. The camera is albeit better on passport but in daylight z30 is good too. I dunno about you but I never used physical keyboards before so I was at home with the z30 keyboard but the passport took me awhile to Adjust to. I suggest you to keep z30 and skip the passport.

Posted via CB10
    The difference in speed and screen resolution is very noticeable on the passport. Surprised you don't notice!

Posted via CB10
    joseanmx likes this.
    12-03-16 05:02 PM
    If it focuses wrong, how do re-focus without taking the photo?

On a camera, you press half way, then let go if it's not working. Or push the last half way to take the photo.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    You just slide your finger off the button.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-16 05:03 PM
    Wow, has this device switch experience so far been ridiculous.

It's been hours so far, and haven't even started the switch!

First I did a backup of my Z30. Both by copying all the files, and then making a proper BBB file. Now I'm trying to do the switch, first by loading the backup. BlackBerry Link has been ridiculously slow at recognizing my Passport. Anyone know why? My Z30 is fine.

Even if it does recognize the device, it can "find" the backup to "load". Just keeps spinning. I'm about to try on another computer. But it means copying over my 7gb backup file via USB stick, and reloading Link on the other computer. Not how I wanted to spend my Say night, from 6p to 11:30p and counting...

Admittedly, I did spend a bunch of time trying to research the best way to do the device switch (through the switch option on Link, or by loading the backup I just made). But at this point, I could care less.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    12-10-16 10:38 PM
    I did the same as you and moved up to SE, took awhile to get used to physical keyboard again and the overall size but love it. Be prepared for loads of comments like what's that didn't know BlackBerry! Still made phones etc.
    12-11-16 05:42 AM
    I moved from Z30 to PP SE and was pretty simple.
    Download Device Switch from BlackBerry World to both phones. Follow instructions.
    Done!
    Only glitch is with Outlook contacts. My phones syncs contacts automatically from my exchange server. As I recall there were options to select emails, contacts and maybe something else to sync. I should not have selected contacts as some of the information was duplicated on some contacts: double phone numbers, emails and addresses. When I get bored I scroll through and check and edit, removing the duplicate data.
    Other than that move was super simple.
    Welcome aboard!
    Ted

Posted via CB10
    12-11-16 07:15 AM
    I moved from Z30 to PP SE and was pretty simple.
    Download Device Switch from BlackBerry World to both phones. Follow instructions.
    Done!
    Only glitch is with Outlook contacts. My phones syncs contacts automatically from my exchange server. As I recall there were options to select emails, contacts and maybe something else to sync. I should not have selected contacts as some of the information was duplicated on some contacts: double phone numbers, emails and addresses. When I get bored I scroll through and check and edit, removing the duplicate data.
    Other than that move was super simple.
    Welcome aboard!
    Ted

Posted via CB10
    Were you able to move over your BBM conversations? Not just the contacts?

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    tedorkin likes this.
    12-11-16 07:30 AM
    I don't use BBM so don't know, but I think device switch basically clones the Z10 to the PP including most programs.
    It's amazing!
    Let us know how it goes.
    I'm not an expert but if you haven't upgraded to 10.3.3 you may want to do that first. It wasn't out when I switched so may not make a difference. Be sure to have phone on charger when upgrading.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-16 07:40 AM
    So like many of you, I also picked up a new Passport this past weekend. I got the SE.

I'm currently using my launch Z30. It's over 3 years old, and is starting to show its age. I really debated about getting the SE. I'm not a fan of the Passport keyboard, but the phone looks so good! I'm truly hoping I'll get used to it, and love it like my Z30.

If they had released a true follow up to the Z30, I would have got that. But this is a good second choice.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    Moving from an amoled screen to a lcd screen.
    Moving to the 1 1 aspect ratio screen.
    The passport will be faster.
    12-11-16 08:45 AM

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    Learn to make a good use of Passport great Keyboard.

Posted through my  Z30
    12-11-16 02:16 PM
    Everything is better. You love the z30 keyboard but what is new and faster makes a nice trip back onto a KB

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    12-13-16 02:49 PM
    I too just switched from the Z30 to the Passport. As well, I couldn't get BlackBerry Link to even see that I had the Passport connected. I needed to "re-download (update?)" Link and after that, it all worked very well. I haven't used the camera much, so I've got nothing to offer there. So far though, I'm really lovin' the Passport.
    12-13-16 05:40 PM
    Delete all blackberry software. Reboot. Plug in passport and choose to install drivers. The start over will get you updated proper.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    12-13-16 07:59 PM