I thought I would share my early impressions of the Passport having just received it in the mail this morning. And of course I am typing this out on my new device.

I ordered it yesterday before they sold out on shopblackberry.com. When I first opened the box I was immediately struck by the device's incredible build quality. Simply put it is industrial strength. The keyboard is not just bigger than previous Blackberries, it is in a different realm of technology achievement. The phone is hefty and solid. It feels like something that shouldn't be invented for another twenty years. It is a tremendous achievement in design and quality.

I took it into AT&T to get it activated and to show it off a little bit. It definitely got a lot of attention. Customers waiting in line immediately took notice and asked to check it out.

I got it activated fine but haven't been able to confirm if I can get LTE on it. Any help with this would be appreciated. It updated to a newer version of the OS after I did a software update check.

SCREEN

The screen is mind blowing. So sharp! Noticeably sharper and brighter than Z30. I ordered a screen protector from Amazon that I will get tomorrow, but so far the screen does not seem to be getting smudged up. Maybe that is because I'm using the keyboard for most of my scrolling. Surfing the Web and composing emails is a pure joy on this thing.

KEYBOARD

This is where it is going to be the toughest transition. It will take me awhile to get used to typing on this keyboard, and I'm not there yet. The feeling of pressing physical keys is indescribably pleasurable but each user will need to find just the right way to hold the device while typing. Since the keyboard is so low, it is not yet a completely comfortable experience. What I can say is that there is no issue with the device feeling top heavy. But boy are these backlit keys gorgeous! Having shift and period as part of the virtual pop up keyboard is not an issue although entering numbers and symbols is a bit more of a task, although nothing that I won't be able to get familiar with.

When you use the keyboard as a scrollbar sometimes you will accidentally activate the virtual keyboard which is a bit of a nuisance. What I can also say is that I am not finding myself using the predictive swipe up to add words compared to how often I would do this on my Z30. Maybe it's because typing out all the words is so much fun now!

BATTERY

I may have screwed up by not fully charging the battery before activating the phone. I charged it to 75% after bringing it down to 30% or so. Now I am letting it discharge all the way before re charging. But it seems on par if not slightly longer lasting than the Z30.

AUDIO

This is one area where this phone is head and shoulders above the Z30 and any other phone I've ever used. So crystal clear and loud! Call quality is far better and the speakerphone is just incredible.

FORM FACTOR

The phone is really not that large, it's just wide. So this will just take getting used to. You WILL DROP THIS PHONE more than the Z30 that is for sure, so a protective case will be a must. One handed use is possible, but not to do a lot of typing.

BB10.3

I was running 10.2 on my Z30 so the clean lines and interfaces of the new OS are really nice. I noticed that for some reason some apps that were available on Amazon App Store on my Z30 are mysteriously absent on the Passport's version, such as Netflix. So I loaded up 1 Mobile Market and installed it fine. Videos played just fine. Some apps don't scale perfectly to the square screen and I don't know how to use the zoom feature so any help would be appreciated.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Since getting the Passport fired up I have not used my laptop at all today, instead using my new phone to accomplish some content creation, such as this review. If I can get fully comfortable with the keyboard, which I expect will take some time, this device is going to really make a difference in how I get work done.

Thanks in advance for help with my questions and issues.

Posted via CB10
    ptpete, Anilu7, d.roc and 12 others like this.
    09-26-14 01:26 AM
    You just did a nice review. Thanks! Waiting for some more feedback after few days of use.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 02:19 AM
    With these batteries you do not need to do any cycles
    09-26-14 02:29 AM
    How's watching Netflix like, compared to Z30?

Zoom Zoom Z30
    09-26-14 02:43 AM
    Haven't tried to load up and use Blend?
    09-26-14 03:35 AM
    For symbols and numbers.. can you press the physical keys.. what I'm trying to say is when you pull up the symbols and numbers virtual keyboard is it possible to enter numbers by pressing the correlated key? Or is it not mapped? What happens if you press a physical key when you have the symbols and numbers virtual keyboard brought up.

Posted via CB10 on the Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    09-26-14 03:36 AM
    Perfect review, but you forgot about the Blend!
    09-26-14 03:48 AM
    Thanks for the review. Please add to it as you get to know the phone better!

Posted via CB10
    kerrywm likes this.
    09-26-14 04:21 AM
    Nice review, I am looking forward to doing mine after my passport arrives today sometime.
    09-26-14 04:38 AM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Awesome review....

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 04:46 AM
    Can't wait to get my hands on passport!!!

Q10 SQN100-3 | Z30 STA100-2 | 10.2.1.3247 iPhone 4s IOS 7.xx
    09-26-14 04:51 AM
    I thought I would share my early impressions of the Passport having just received it in the mail this morning. And of course I am typing this out on my new device.

I ordered it yesterday before they sold out on shopblackberry.com. When I first opened the box I was immediately struck by the device's incredible build quality. Simply put it is industrial strength. The keyboard is not just bigger than previous Blackberries, it is in a different realm of technology achievement. The phone is hefty and solid. It feels like something that shouldn't be invented for another twenty years. It is a tremendous achievement in design and quality.

I took it into AT&T to get it activated and to show it off a little bit. It definitely got a lot of attention. Customers waiting in line immediately took notice and asked to check it out.

I got it activated fine but haven't been able to confirm if I can get LTE on it. Any help with this would be appreciated. It updated to a newer version of the OS after I did a software update check.

SCREEN

The screen is mind blowing. So sharp! Noticeably sharper and brighter than Z30. I ordered a screen protector from Amazon that I will get tomorrow, but so far the screen does not seem to be getting smudged up. Maybe that is because I'm using the keyboard for most of my scrolling. Surfing the Web and composing emails is a pure joy on this thing.

KEYBOARD

This is where it is going to be the toughest transition. It will take me awhile to get used to typing on this keyboard, and I'm not there yet. The feeling of pressing physical keys is indescribably pleasurable but each user will need to find just the right way to hold the device while typing. Since the keyboard is so low, it is not yet a completely comfortable experience. What I can say is that there is no issue with the device feeling top heavy. But boy are these backlit keys gorgeous! Having shift and period as part of the virtual pop up keyboard is not an issue although entering numbers and symbols is a bit more of a task, although nothing that I won't be able to get familiar with.

When you use the keyboard as a scrollbar sometimes you will accidentally activate the virtual keyboard which is a bit of a nuisance. What I can also say is that I am not finding myself using the predictive swipe up to add words compared to how often I would do this on my Z30. Maybe it's because typing out all the words is so much fun now!

BATTERY

I may have screwed up by not fully charging the battery before activating the phone. I charged it to 75% after bringing it down to 30% or so. Now I am letting it discharge all the way before re charging. But it seems on par if not slightly longer lasting than the Z30.

AUDIO

This is one area where this phone is head and shoulders above the Z30 and any other phone I've ever used. So crystal clear and loud! Call quality is far better and the speakerphone is just incredible.

FORM FACTOR

The phone is really not that large, it's just wide. So this will just take getting used to. You WILL DROP THIS PHONE more than the Z30 that is for sure, so a protective case will be a must. One handed use is possible, but not to do a lot of typing.

BB10.3

I was running 10.2 on my Z30 so the clean lines and interfaces of the new OS are really nice. I noticed that for some reason some apps that were available on Amazon App Store on my Z30 are mysteriously absent on the Passport's version, such as Netflix. So I loaded up 1 Mobile Market and installed it fine. Videos played just fine. Some apps don't scale perfectly to the square screen and I don't know how to use the zoom feature so any help would be appreciated.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Since getting the Passport fired up I have not used my laptop at all today, instead using my new phone to accomplish some content creation, such as this review. If I can get fully comfortable with the keyboard, which I expect will take some time, this device is going to really make a difference in how I get work done.

Thanks in advance for help with my questions and issues.

Posted via CB10
    To zoom in you have to scroll from the top of the screen and you will see the zoom in option on top right corner.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 04:56 AM
    For symbols and numbers.. can you press the physical keys.. what I'm trying to say is when you pull up the symbols and numbers virtual keyboard is it possible to enter numbers by pressing the correlated key? Or is it not mapped? What happens if you press a physical key when you have the symbols and numbers virtual keyboard brought up.

Posted via CB10 on the Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    You can press on keyboard to type in numbers as well when the virtual keyboard is on screen.

A small letter will be shown adjacent to the number on screen to be typed accordingly from the keyboard.

It is like Q 0, W 1, E 2 and so on.

I hope it makes sense to you

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 05:00 AM
    Perfect review, but you forgot about the Blend!
    Blend is awesome.

Nothing can beat a full fledged laptop screen and keyboard to type in some emails and bbm which is instant like a BlackBerry

Leave your device on charge or in the other room and use blend instead. That's a SWEET piece of software .

Posted via CB10
    rawat_sandip likes this.
    09-26-14 05:04 AM
    Compare performance? What is noticeably faster on the Passport vs Z30?
    09-26-14 05:07 AM
    While in an android app, swipe down from the top of the screen the zoom is on the top right.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 05:09 AM
    From what I have seen and heard, symbols and numbers are mapped to the physical keyboard. Yes, one can press the co-related physical keys instead of tapping on the virtual keyboard when in numbers / symbols mode.

Here is the demo:
    parapep10 likes this.
    09-26-14 05:21 AM
    Really nice. Thanks a lot for this article. Good to hear. Im from Czech rep., and I pre-ordered Black PassPort. I have to wait aprox. 14 days. Cant wait to feel it in my hands
    09-26-14 05:57 AM