I have tried searching but no one has really addressed the screen difference when watching movies etc other than the 1:1 resolution causes black bars and small picture. I am looking at changing my z10 out for a passport and I am struggling to wrap my head around how a 4.5 inch by 4.5 inch screen will have a smaller picture than that of my z10 in landscape? I do not mind watching movies on it and when I measure it I got 3 5/8" x 2 1/4" roughly so I understand it will have black bars top and bottom but surely the overall picture size will not be smaller than my z10? I apologize if this has been addressed already.
    09-29-14 12:40 PM
    Like watching a movie on TV. Tvs are 16:9 however most movies now are 2.3:1. You will get black bars as well. If you don't get black bars in your TV then you are cutting some content off. I am expecting to get black bars unless you force it not to. If.you compare the size of the movie screen even with black bars it's close to ip4s size. So I am ok with that.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 12:54 PM
    That is what I thought I figured it would be pretty much like watching my z10 with black bars but I was hoping someone could confirm as people are making a huge deal about movies on it, funny how people poke at things yet were fine watching movies on the z10 or iphone 4s but holy the world ends when it comes to the passport because or a couple black bars haha
    09-29-14 01:14 PM
    I have tried searching but no one has really addressed the screen difference when watching movies etc other than the 1:1 resolution causes black bars and small picture. I am looking at changing my z10 out for a passport and I am struggling to wrap my head around how a 4.5 inch by 4.5 inch screen will have a smaller picture than that of my z10 in landscape? I do not mind watching movies on it and when I measure it I got 3 5/8" x 2 1/4" roughly so I understand it will have black bars top and bottom but surely the overall picture size will not be smaller than my z10? I apologize if this has been addressed already.
    It's not 4.5 X 4.5. It's 4.5" diagonally. You labour under a misapprehension sir.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    09-29-14 01:14 PM
    Just like guygardner said, you got confused with 4.5" by 4.5". The passport screen is 3.18" by 3.18". So the length of the video will be a bit shorter than what you're used to on the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 01:27 PM
    Am I the only one who would choose to go all trigno and find this answer rather than a simple Google search?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 01:28 PM
    Ahh yes the diagonal measurement, you are correct I misinterpreted the specs and got caught up in the 1:1 ratio. Judging by your signature as a passport owner can you comment on your viewing in comparison to the other phones you have owned / used. I guess the point I am labouring at is that hopefully the talking heads that review phones for a living are making a lot to do about fractions of an inch and the viewing experience while it could be better on a true 5 inch plus 16:9 device isn`t that bad on a passport. For the amount of videos I watch on my phone I can live with not that bad.
    09-29-14 03:20 PM
    You are not sadly I was struggling to find accurate measurements for the other devices to properly calculate the difference and at the end of the day I was hoping for more in the responses from someone with first hand viewing experience as really the calculated fractions of an inch difference will likely be unnoticeable when not holding it next to another device however the reviewers act like I will need a magnifying glass to watch a movie on it.
    09-29-14 03:23 PM
    Ahh yes the diagonal measurement, you are correct I misinterpreted the specs and got caught up in the 1:1 ratio. Judging by your signature as a passport owner can you comment on your viewing in comparison to the other phones you have owned / used. I guess the point I am labouring at is that hopefully the talking heads that review phones for a living are making a lot to do about fractions of an inch and the viewing experience while it could be better on a true 5 inch plus 16:9 device isn`t that bad on a passport. For the amount of videos I watch on my phone I can live with not that bad.
    I can confirm that although the screen is not as wide as a Z10 held sideways, it really is perfectly acceptable. There is also the option to go full screen which of course loses some of the content and is akin to the old 4:3 TV's. Honestly, it's absolutely fine for 16:9 vids. I don't know what all the fuss is about black bars on the screen, when I watch my tv, I don't pay any attention to what's above or below the picture. I love this device, I got it on Friday after much anticipation and after a couple of days of acclimatisation, i'm loving it.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    CHUDS1 likes this.
    09-29-14 04:20 PM