Hey chaps.... untill a few days ago YouTube used to play fine through the browser but now it seems to be locked to 'help I'm in a tin can underwater' settings... is there any way to change this? It used to happen when I had a low signal but I work in a 4g area and it's still the same...

I even bought fast tube... but it seems to be rubbish considering how many people rave about it... all I saw from the paid side of it was being able to sign in and look at the videos of the peeps I'm subscribed to... not access their playlists or anything... anyhow...

Any ideas chaps? (and lady chaps too?)
    05-02-15 12:16 AM
    First question, are you in desktop mode? If you are in mobile mode, then I dont think there is a way to change the quality (mine is quite good though). If you are in desktop mode (settings->developer tools->desktop mode), then the usual youtube settings apply. Click the gear wheel at the bottom of the video window for settings, which include video quality/size etc.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 08:28 AM
    Just checked, the mobile youtube site allows you to select HQ or SD by toggling a button in the lower left corner of the video window. A blue background on the HQ button indicates high quality, no blue background means standard.

Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 08:39 AM
    I am in desktop mode and I can't seem to get anything beyond 720p on YouTube. It is the only option available. I have tested this on multiple videos, including my own 4k uploads. How do I go about seeing all the quality options? This is while connected to wifi, if it matters.

I think I recall at some point when I first turned on the device there was a link to a 4k Youtube video that played in 4k. I believe this was done to showcase the device's capabilities so it must be possible.

EDIT: FastTube only appears to be playing at 720p as well.
    05-02-15 10:07 AM
    I am in desktop mode and I can't seem to get anything beyond 720p on YouTube. It is the only option available. I have tested this on multiple videos, including my own 4k uploads. How do I go about seeing all the quality options?

I think I recall at some point when I first turned on the device there was a link to a 4k Youtube video that played in 4k. I believe this was done to showcase the device's capabilities so it must be possible.

EDIT: FastTube only appears to be playing at 720p as well.
    There is absolutely no way for the human eye to discern the difference between 720 and 4k on a phone screen....especially on Youtube.

It's possible that youtube doesn't even offer resolution options to mobile devices beyond 720 because it's pointless.
    05-02-15 10:21 AM
    Thx for the responses peeps...

Just sussed out the desktop mode thing just as I noticed I had the notification of a reply...

Don't remember seeing anything to change quality via the app thing... will have a look for it tho...

Thanks again!
    05-02-15 10:25 AM
    Aaah... the quality thing was fast tube... fast tube played everything ok... just slow to update subscriptions and unable to view youtubers playlists (the ones they make for their videos to make it easier to watch) it's not a bad app but in my eyes not worth paying for the limited extra fuctions..
    05-02-15 10:29 AM
    There is absolutely no way for the human eye to discern the difference between 720 and 4k on a phone screen....especially on Youtube.

It's possible that youtube doesn't even offer resolution options to mobile devices beyond 720 because it's pointless.
    There absolutely is. The passport screen is big enough.

Anyway, anybody else find a way to play higher quality HD content on this thing? If Android phones can do it through their native browser, then this should too.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 11:55 AM