Please post your passport uptime here... days, weeks, months ?!

I'm more interested in environments running Native & Android apps and using the Hub for ( at least ) emails, whatsapp, fb, calendar.

Reason for asking is I just got through very negative experience with a Passport SE restarting 2-3 times a day while I had bought this device to have a productive, safe, relailable companion for work. I was not able to stabilise the device on any available OSs ( 2474 - 2530 ). While some people on this forum considers this issue is HW related, IMO it is most likely a software problem that affects all Passport devices ( original and SE ).

Question I would need an answer before trying a 2nd device: is Passport a device capable to run for weeks without restart issues ? If not, I would need to give up despite the fact I like the device and its business features.
    phoenix55 likes this.
    01-01-16 09:27 AM
    My Passport SE has been up since December 28, 7pmish. And only reason it was restarted is I had tried and deleted an app I did not like/want any further. Can go weeks before a restart is needed and never as a result of the phone itself restarting. Running 53 BlackBerry apps and 32 Android apps (loaded via Google play store). And prior to the SE(since November) had the original Passport with similar set up and no issues. Your restart are definitely hardware related in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 01:36 PM
    Passport SE up since early July. Every couple of weeks, I'll restart it myself. The device has never restarted on its own.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-01-16 01:46 PM
    Oh, yeah -- sorry; no Android apps, no Wastebook, no WhatsCrap.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    anon(8050899) likes this.
    01-01-16 01:47 PM
    Your Passport Uptime please ( Native & Android Apps )-img_20160101_195040_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 01:51 PM
    Dec 17. Can't remember why I rebooted.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 02:12 PM
    I am having se for three days and it is great! No problems so far !

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 02:43 PM
    Only reboot to switch out m sim card into my other phone.
    Otherwise I have had weeks without rebooting.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 04:36 PM
    Thanks for sharing. Would you please disclose os version and netwok ?

Regards
    Ovidiu
    01-02-16 09:13 AM
    While i m not a heavy user of these apps difficult to avoid them these days. I need to keep in contact with friends and groups, not an option.
    01-02-16 09:14 AM
    Thanks for sharing ... Would you please disclose os version and carrier ?

Regards
    Ovidiu

My Passport SE has been up since December 28, 7pmish. And only reason it was restarted is I had tried and deleted an app I did not like/want any further. Can go weeks before a restart is needed and never as a result of the phone itself restarting. Running 53 BlackBerry apps and 32 Android apps (loaded via Google play store). And prior to the SE(since November) had the original Passport with similar set up and no issues. Your restart are definitely hardware related in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-16 09:16 AM
    My Passport SE never rebooted by itself. I was on every OS since 2339.

I did reboot it myself every few days though, as I ran a lot of Android apps, and there is no other way of properly clearing memory leaks.
    01-02-16 09:22 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160101_195040_edit.png 
Views:	1392 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	386320

Posted via CB10
    Where can I fin that menu?
    01-02-16 11:05 AM
    In the about menu under software release and OS version

Thanks
    Ovidiu

Where can I fin that menu?
    ngc likes this.
    01-02-16 03:31 PM
    Thanks for your input

Sorry I don't understand why the android apps are to blame about memory leaks and phone reboots. These days android phones and apps are quite stable and do not require reboots.

It might be the bb android environment being buggy.

More input on your statement is useful. What behavior are you experiencing if not rebooting your phone - lag, crashes , etc ?

Thanks
    Ovidiu

My Passport SE never rebooted by itself. I was on every OS since 2339.

I did reboot it myself every few days though, as I ran a lot of Android apps, and there is no other way of properly clearing memory leaks.
    01-02-16 03:41 PM
    Thanks for your input

Sorry I don't understand why the android apps are to blame about memory leaks and phone reboots. These days android phones and apps are quite stable and do not require reboots.

It might be the bb android environment being buggy.

More input on your statement is useful. What behavior are you experiencing if not rebooting your phone - lag, crashes , etc ?

Thanks
    Ovidiu
    When available memory drops below around 600mb, things seem to lag, and some Android apps become stubborn and refuse to open.

This is not as much of an issue on a Passport (with its 3GB ), but happens often on other BB10 devices when a lot of Android apps are installed.

It is the nature of the beast - something to do with the memory management within the Runtime.
    01-02-16 03:50 PM
    In the about menu under software release and OS version

Thanks
    Ovidiu
    Thanks!
    01-02-16 04:15 PM
    I have a passport se that restarts a few times each day. Didn't had this on my original passport. Haven't been able to find the cause, it appears to be completely random. Happens during idle time in bedside mode at night, it happens when I'm browsing or using all kind of apps. It sometimes is frustrating, but most of the time I'm up and running within 30 seconds.

Paspoort
    01-02-16 04:47 PM
    The restart issue is definitely related to the PP SE Android run time environment and particular android apps. I suspect its because the passport is stuck with 4.3(due to agreement with G). While BB has said it will maintain this version, for me the most recent update didn't fix this or other android problems. In the end i don't believe any maintenance updates will fix them and they will most likely increase as most apps are being tailored for the latter droid versions. Its a shame because the PP SE hardware is superior to most Android phones.

Edit: I would like to add the restart issue seems to be more a problem with the SE despite it supposedly having the same hardware as the PP....
    01-02-16 05:13 PM
    The restart issue is definitely related to the PP SE Android run time environment and particular android apps. I suspect its because the passport is stuck with 4.3(due to agreement with G). While BB has said it will maintain this version, for me the most recent update didn't fix this or other android problems. In the end i don't believe any maintenance updates will fix them and they will most likely increase as most apps are being tailored for the latter droid versions. Its a shame because the PP SE hardware is superior to most Android phones.

Edit: I would like to add the restart issue seems to be more a problem with the SE despite it supposedly having the same hardware as the PP....
    That said, I never had a single reboot in 4 months.
    01-02-16 06:05 PM
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

restart on my unit was not only related to android runtime. Eg my phone restarted once after hard reset and no android apps run / installed on the phone. It simply crashed while typing a text message.

In fact most of the crashes appeared while typing in various applications. afaik keyboard is different btw original and se phones and issue that might come from this different keyboard unit (hw or sw in the os core eg driver). Of course this is just my speculation, no logs or system events allowing me to prove that.

We might blame android apps but don't forget android runtime is provided by blackberry and they have everything in their hands to make things stable and create a sandbox that cannot affect other apps. Having a qnx os running a java vm should not cause so many issues.

01-03-16 12:30 AM
    Conite, 600 mb is a lot and might show dificiencies in memory and processes management at os level. Your statement is not providing more confidence to me.
    01-03-16 12:47 AM
    I have never had a single reboot on my Passport SE itself since October. I have been on every OS.

Posted via CB10 from Passport SQW100-4/10.3.2.2876
    01-03-16 01:02 AM
    Never had a random reboot on mine, it can run for months without a restart, currently the last time I did a restart was on the 18th of December, and that was because I couldn't get the Kindle app to work without crashing which was clearly a software issue.

By the sound of it your issue was a hardware one and you should try another passport as this does seem to be a problem some people have experienced but not the vast majority.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    01-03-16 05:44 AM
    that's a good uptime. thanks for sharing.

as you mentioned few people have experienced this issue, however most of them ended by ordering the original BB. haven't seen a person on this forum that stated their passport se replacement works fine now and confirmed in a way the previous device had an issue ( meaning on the same usage and apps footprint ).

note: looked in local showroom where a passport se was exposed and tried to check on the uptime. bad luck, device was there with bb error and not able to even start additional sign this device is not for me ?!

Never had a random reboot on mine, it can run for months without a restart, currently the last time I did a restart was on the 18th of December, and that was because I couldn't get the Kindle app to work without crashing which was clearly a software issue.

By the sound of it your issue was a hardware one and you should try another passport as this does seem to be a problem some people have experienced but not the vast majority.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    01-03-16 08:18 AM
39 12