On the screen, the 4th row is always displayed (when texting) as a virtual key row, with Shift, punctuation and Symbol button.

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    That's not bad. You don't think that would interrupt the typing flow? (I'm buying it regardless btw lol). I'll figure it out as I go
    06-29-14 02:18 AM
    That's not bad. You don't think that would interrupt the typing flow? (I'm buying it regardless btw lol). I'll figure it out as I go
    Let's wait and see... I also have the intention to get it ;-)

velkod likes this.
    06-29-14 03:47 AM
    Attachment 280759

I would choose this keyboard over that one we saw on the pictures. Problem solved!
    This would be incredible!

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 03:14 PM
    This would be incredible!

Posted via CB10
    Who knows. Maybe they'll sell a different keyboard as per the anticipated "accessories" we've been hearing about? Hmmmmm
    06-29-14 03:59 PM
    Even More images of the keyboard:

anischab likes this.
    07-01-14 08:39 AM
    Even More images of the keyboard:

http://s18.postimg.org/rplmfmvjd/Compose_Ss.png
    I see the # is again on the Q, the * on the A and the 0 on the bottom row... fits better, imo coz it "has always been so"... jk for this last statement.

07-01-14 08:49 AM
    Now I don't feel that I like the keyboard. That layout is the layout of SwiftKey, and I definitely don't like it. I know, I know, BlackBerry OS devices has that layout, but it's a big difference between having it shown on the keyboard and it shown on the virtual keyboard. I couldn't get used to it.

I like Z10's virtual keyboard layout better. But I guess we'll have to see

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    07-02-14 03:17 AM

The Passport will become the #1 phone in the world.
    07-03-14 01:23 PM
    http://s22.postimg.org/a09alcg9d/prot.png

The Passport will become the #1 phone in the world.
    did you create these images?
    07-03-14 02:23 PM
    Attachment 280759

I would choose this keyboard over that one we saw on the pictures. Problem solved!
    This isn't much better. What's the point in having numbers and symbols on the keyboard if there isn't any hardware shift/alt keys? Having the hit shift/alt on the on-screen keyboard would still interrupt text input flow.

The wonderful thing about the Q10 keyboard is never having to look at the keyboard or even screen while typing (once you're proficient with typing on it of course). The Passport will always require you to keep your eyes on the screen at least and still interrupt you're text input flow by having to dance back and forth between hardware and on-screen keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 05:19 PM
    I wonder if they'll implement a swiftkey feature where long press gives you the symbol rather than capital.

So if you want to type say a period, you long press M. Capital would require a shift key.

I actually like the swiftkey execution of symbols.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 06:29 PM
    did you create these images?
    Yes, this is an adaptation of my previous renderings to match the simple keyboard layout that BlackBerry adopted.
    07-03-14 06:36 PM
    This isn't much better. What's the point in having numbers and symbols on the keyboard if there isn't any hardware shift/alt keys? Having the hit shift/alt on the on-screen keyboard would still interrupt text input flow.

The wonderful thing about the Q10 keyboard is never having to look at the keyboard or even screen while typing (once you're proficient with typing on it of course). The Passport will always require you to keep your eyes on the screen at least and still interrupt you're text input flow by having to dance back and forth between hardware and on-screen keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    My version allows you to type the same way you do on the Q10, once you memorize which keys produce each symbols you won't need to look at the screen to input them.
    07-03-14 06:42 PM
    My contract ends on september, right now im typing on my Q10 but the new passport looks like old machine, like hipster desing, do you know when Z50 coming ? Also iphone gonna release a new phone on septmeber november, so wait for Z50 or iphone 6 ?

Posted via CB10
    velkod likes this.
    07-04-14 02:01 AM
    My contract ends on september, right now im typing on my Q10 but the new passport looks like old machine, like hipster desing, do you know when Z50 coming ? Also iphone gonna release a new phone on septmeber november, so wait for Z50 or iphone 6 ?

Posted via CB10
    Ok
    07-04-14 02:32 AM
    Ok
    Ok? Ok
    07-04-14 02:52 AM
    My version allows you to type the same way you do on the Q10, once you memorize which keys produce each symbols you won't need to look at the screen to input them.
    Want to know how it can be even better? The Q10 keyboard; I don't have to look at my device at all to type because there's numbers and commonly used symbols that you can access with the use of the alt key right on the keyboard, plus the less commonly used ones on the sym hardware key!!!

Seriously though, no. The Passport is a nice idea, with an incredibly poor execution. All BlackBerry had to do was leave the QWERTY hardware keys intact. It doesn't matter if they squish all the keys in the 4 row keyboard down to 3 rows; but gimping the hardware keyboard is unacceptable.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 03:16 AM
    Want to know how it can be even better? The Q10 keyboard; I don't have to look at my device at all to type because there's numbers and commonly used symbols that you can access with the use of the alt key right on the keyboard, plus the less commonly used ones on the sym hardware key!!!

Seriously though, no. The Passport is a nice idea, with an incredibly poor execution. All BlackBerry had to do was leave the QWERTY hardware keys intact. It doesn't matter if they squish all the keys in the 4 row keyboard down to 3 rows; but gimping the hardware keyboard is unacceptable.

Posted via CB10
    "Poor execution" and "unacceptable" is strong judgements for a product that's not even released yet, don't you think?
    07-04-14 04:52 AM
    The only way this will be good is if you can hardware 'swipe' the keyboard and then immediately press a letter for punctuation like period, comma etc.

I do NOT want to choose commonly used punctuation from the touch screen. This is *precisely* the reason I have a hardware keyboard and not an iPhone, because I despise typing on a touch screen.
    07-04-14 05:40 AM
    "Poor execution" and "unacceptable" is strong judgements for a product that's not even released yet, don't you think?
    Strong judgement? Absolutely. Regardless if the device has been released or not is irrelevant. It's a fact that the hardware keyboard has been crippled. You can clearly see this fact on the many pictures released showing no hardware alt key, shift key and sym key; and you can also see this fact on the many pictures showing the on-screen keyboard that takes up a massive 1/3 of the entire screen just to type numbers and common symbols.

Unless BlackBerry goes back to the drawing board and changes the keyboard design to have hardware alt, shift and sym keys, and includes the alternate numbers and symbols on the hardware keyboard keys like a proper QWERTY hardware keyboard. If BlackBerry did that then everything I said previously would be invalid; but I highly doubt they'd do that. The Passport is slated to be released in just 2 to 3 months. That's not a lot of time to make such a massive change to the hardware of a device.

As much as I feel bad for use English device users, I feel even a bit worse for those that use their devices with alternate language keys. The Passport will be a monumental failure in those countries. Of that I have no doubt.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 05:47 AM
    The only way this will be good is if you can hardware 'swipe' the keyboard and then immediately press a letter for punctuation like period, comma etc.

I do NOT want to choose commonly used punctuation from the touch screen. This is *precisely* the reason I have a hardware keyboard and not an iPhone, because I despise typing on a touch screen.
    Doesn't matter. The shift and alt keys are on-screen. You will have to touch the screen at some point.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 05:49 AM
    Strong judgement? Absolutely. Regardless if the device has been released or not is irrelevant. It's a fact that the hardware keyboard has been crippled. You can clearly see this fact on the many pictures released showing no hardware alt key, shift key and sym key; and you can also see this fact on the many pictures showing the on-screen keyboard that takes up a massive 1/3 of the entire screen just to type numbers and common symbols.

Unless BlackBerry goes back to the drawing board and changes the keyboard design to have hardware alt, shift and sym keys, and includes the alternate numbers and symbols on the hardware keyboard keys like a proper QWERTY hardware keyboard. If BlackBerry did that then everything I said previously would be invalid; but I highly doubt they'd do that. The Passport is slated to be released in just 2 to 3 months. That's not a lot of time to make such a massive change to the hardware of a device.

As much as I feel bad for use English device users, I feel even a bit worse for those that use their devices with alternate language keys. The Passport will be a monumental failure in those countries. Of that I have no doubt.

Posted via CB10
    Hm okay I get that and basically I'm in the same boat. On the other hand I want this form factor, screen and hardware design sooo badly :/

But just for the record: the contextual row has a switch button for numbers on the right end. So at least numbers won't need the pop up.
    07-04-14 06:24 AM
    Doesn't matter. The shift and alt keys are on-screen. You will have to touch the screen at some point.
    What I was trying to say is that you could easily swap a physical ALT key, and a physical SYM key for a 'swipe' on the keyboard, therefore eliminating the need to use the touch screen. If they wanted to reduce the number of keys, that could work.

BUT using an on-screen shift key is going to be ghastly for text selection.

If we wanted buttons on the touch screen we'd have a Z30 already.
    07-04-14 07:03 AM
    BUT using an on-screen shift key is going to be ghastly for text selection.
    Just for the record: text selection will be solved differently, not via the SHIFT key.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-04-14 08:32 AM
    Just for the record: text selection will be solved differently, not via the SHIFT key.
    The only BB10 that probably will use the Shift key to text select is the Classic
    07-04-14 09:29 AM
138 ... 3456