Hey if you lost 20% overnight why don't you look at the device manager to see what took that much battery overnight?

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 02:11 PM
    Wow! It took a plunge into the abyss.

Posted via CB10
    D3C0D3R and AnimalPak200 like this.
    10-04-14 02:31 PM
    I would give it a little time before getting crazy that something is wrong. It could have been one of many possibilities, so if it's still doing that after a few days then I would look into it being a bad battery or device.

Z30 / STA 100-3 / 10.3.1.632
    10-04-14 02:53 PM
    Too early to tell, just charge it up and keep an eye on the battery monitoring curve for a while, if it happens again you will have more clues to work with the mystery.

I kinda agree with the calibration theory... it's very unlikely for a battery of this size to discharge that fast without starting a fire or something like that. So it's likely that the battery discharge didn't actually happen, but the monitoring software was doing calibration, hence the sudden jump in readings.

But as stated earlier, it's just a theory, needs more info to verify.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154
    10-04-14 03:08 PM
    Just the same, a little CPU spike and nothing else much. The screen appeared to be on for a bit in the middle of the night but that's about it!
    I'm beginning to think that I may have a faulty unit.

Hey if you lost 20% overnight why don't you look at the device manager to see what took that much battery overnight?

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 05:27 PM
    Just the same, a little CPU spike and nothing else much. The screen appeared to be on for a bit in the middle of the night but that's about it!
    Un-install the ebay app and remove your email accounts and leave it over night and see what happens

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 07:26 AM
    This happened with my z10 when I got it. It is almost always some app or whatever that is trying to accomplish something and failing. My main culprits are: I get a notification in nfl mobile or Google talk.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 10:52 AM
    Too early to tell, just charge it up and keep an eye on the battery monitoring curve for a while, if it happens again you will have more clues to work with the mystery.

I kinda agree with the calibration theory... it's very unlikely for a battery of this size to discharge that fast without starting a fire or something like that. So it's likely that the battery discharge didn't actually happen, but the monitoring software was doing calibration, hence the sudden jump in readings.

But as stated earlier, it's just a theory, needs more info to verify.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154
    There is no calibration..... I proved it above try a reset....

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 08:28 PM
    There is no calibration..... I proved it above try a reset....

Posted via CB10
    Some say that, yes, but even among experts in the mobile battery industry it's disputed as to whether calibration of the first few charges does in fact help your battery, and if it does, what the best method is.

Personally I'm letting it fully die out each night by running the flashlight and an assortment of resource intensive apps and android apps so that it fully dies and charges a full cycle.(even from 7% that still takes over half an hour, this battery is a beast!)

From my experience with my Z10's awful 4-hour charge (I'm a big "power user"), this is the best way to do it and for the first while that I did this on my third and fourth batteries (the first couple stopped getting their full charge above 80% after a few months when I started using them right away the non-calibrated way) they lasted a LOT longer CONSISTENTLY, and kept their full charge!

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    10-07-14 12:37 AM
    Calibration was always referred to the nickel type of batteries. Look at this
    I worked in the cell phone industry, moat times battery drain could be from what he said, a malfunctioning devices. Extreme over use when first obtained, remember that the 20 hour battery life is an average drain. In his case there is something abnormal. I will have to re look at those pictures to make sure.

Posted via CB10
    Well maybe "Calibration" isn't the correct term. The system needs to learn the cell's capacity. In most systems using Ni cells the capacity was based on the cell voltages only and a lookup table was used. When I worked at Motorola in the '90s, we helped TI develop their Coulomb counter/cell voltage algorithm. Most Li battery fuel gauging ICs use this approach. Not going into the gory details, but a "full" charge/ discharge is needed to update the fuel gauge if you want the most accurate fuel gauge. Not saying this is the issue, but it helps.
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    10-07-14 09:50 AM
    Well maybe "Calibration" isn't the correct term. The system needs to learn the cell's capacity. In most systems using Ni cells the capacity was based on the cell voltages only and a lookup table was used. When I worked at Motorola in the '90s, we helped TI develop their Coulomb counter/cell voltage algorithm. Most Li battery fuel gauging ICs use this approach. Not going into the gory details, but a "full" charge/ discharge is needed to update the fuel gauge if you want the most accurate fuel gauge. Not saying this is the issue, but it helps.
    Thanks for the insight, that's the closest we've heard sofar from someone with experience!

10-07-14 10:00 AM
    My BBM id is associated with my Z30 - I didn't really want to mess with that until I'm 100% about the Passport.
    Even after a couple of days, its behaving strangely. I just woke up to a 20% battery loss overnight when my Z30 lost it's usual 2 to 3%!
    I do have the eBay app installed - strangely that would ONLY install from the Amazon store and not from BB World. That just kept coming up with an error after accepting the license, prior to installing. Not sure what that's about!
    Android apps are notorious for misbehaving on BB10. Delete eBay and switch your BBM to your Passport. One of those, if not both, are likely the culprit.
    10-07-14 10:30 AM
    Some say that, yes, but even among experts in the mobile battery industry it's disputed as to whether calibration of the first few charges does in fact help your battery, and if it does, what the best method is.

Personally I'm letting it fully die out each night by running the flashlight and an assortment of resource intensive apps and android apps so that it fully dies and charges a full cycle.(even from 7% that still takes over half an hour, this battery is a beast!)

From my experience with my Z10's awful 4-hour charge (I'm a big "power user"), this is the best way to do it and for the first while that I did this on my third and fourth batteries (the first couple stopped getting their full charge above 80% after a few months when I started using them right away the non-calibrated way) they lasted a LOT longer CONSISTENTLY, and kept their full charge!

From most of the things I've read up on doing a full charge / discharge on a daily basis would eventually lead to shortened battery life. I agree in the short term it would give you better battery, but with the Passport do you really need it? Doing the full charge / discharge maybe once a month should keep the battery gauge pretty accurate although I never even do that.

10-07-14 11:18 AM
    From most of the things I've read up on doing a full charge / discharge on a daily basis would eventually lead to shortened battery life. I agree in the short term it would give you better battery, but with the Passport do you really need it? Doing the full charge / discharge maybe once a month should keep the battery gauge pretty accurate although I never even do that.

I'm not in any means saying do it daily! I'm saying to do it for the first couple and then after that do it about once every couple months :P

10-07-14 03:04 PM
    Open the BB Assistant and ask: "Is my Passport a wallhugger?" If the assistant answers anything with the word iPhone in its answer, bring your faulty device back, you've got a cross dresser.
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    10-07-14 03:24 PM
    Now returned for a refund. Retailer (in UK, Carphone Warehouse) didn't know anything about the device and BB UK have no support options other than the forums, not even a support number to call. I waited for nearly a week for customer services to respond to an email, still no email. I tweeted them and still no response.
    I guess they're doing so well that they don't need my business..
    10-10-14 12:34 PM
    Now returned for a refund. Retailer (in UK, Carphone Warehouse) didn't know anything about the device and BB UK have no support options other than the forums, not even a support number to call. I waited for nearly a week for customer services to respond to an email, still no email. I tweeted them and still no response.
    I guess they're doing so well that they don't need my business..
    This scares me because I'm looking to get the Passport or Q10 when my contract ends and it's for this exact reason why I might not. It's like no UK shop cares about Blackberrys. I went to EE yesterday and ask why there were no BBs on display and the guy just laughed and said those phones aren't sold anymore. Then he had the nerve to ask if I've been living under a rock. Of course he shutup when I showed him mine. If none of these carriers care about BBs, i'm not sure if I want to invest in another BB10 device knowing ill receive absolutely no support.

Posted via CB10 on Blackberry Q5
    10-10-14 12:51 PM
42 12