Looks like both an impact and melt to me. Separate though. Probably dropped on the corner once some time before.

But the rest definitely looks like melted plastic, and the right side is notorious for overheating. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the frame got very hot in a stifiling case one day during a software update or something similarly intense. And then the plastic chin melted a bit. I'd have BlackBerry replace it.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 11:58 AM
    Looks like both an impact and melt to me. Separate though. Probably dropped on the corner once some time before.

But the rest definitely looks like melted plastic, and the right side is notorious for overheating. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the frame got very hot in a stifiling case one day during a software update or something similarly intense. And then the plastic chin melted a bit. I'd have BlackBerry replace it.

Posted via CB10
    It's kind of strange though for the device to get so hot that it's melting itself. Could the processor alone handle that much heat? Something must have laid on it for just a few seconds. Something very hot. I refuse to believe that the device was letting off enough heat for the plastic to melt that way, metal or no metal. Smooth it out and give it a couple of small coats of plasti dip. Plasti dip is very resistant to heat. Upwards of 300 degrees fahrenheit I believe.

Posted via my Classic Passport
    06-11-15 12:47 PM
    The only thing in that corner to generate heat would be the speakers. So no the phone didn't melt on its own.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 06:31 PM
    I'm sorry, but there is no way the melting point of ANY material used in the Passport's construction is lower than the maximum operating temperature of the Snapdragon 800.

End of story.
    06-11-15 06:41 PM
    Surprised this thread is still ongoing.

OP, very likely this will be marked as customer abuse and nothing will be done.

A couple of days ago, I went on a service call to inspect a 60" TV with a cracked LCD. The customer was adamant that the panel just cracked all by itself and that no one had anything to do with it.

Until his young son picked up a hard cricket ball and threw it at the TV, right while we were all there. The husband started freaking out on his wife and son. They were speaking in a language I didn't understand but the body language and hostility gave it all away.

The little boy whipped the ball at the TV before, cracked the screen, and the man tried to avail himself of the warranty. Wasn't happening. I made my report and the claim was denied. Warranties cover faulty workmanship and parts, not customer abuse...accidental or intentional.

I've been around enough damaged and dropped electronics to know that that is not a burn of any kind. Melted plastic always leaves bubbling or puddling around the burn area. That looks like it was dropped onto red brick interlocking like a drive way or something, with the plastic impact point being colored by the brick. The plastic is indented, how can one buff out an dent? If this was automotive bodywork, you would have to pound out the dent then sand, prime and repaint.

Pay that deductible. If they are willing to help you, take advantage of their assistance. If this was one of my service calls, I would be denying the claim. But if all you gotta do is pay a $129 deductible, I would be on that in an instant. Replacement parts would probably cost that anyways and you would still have to find someone to do the labor.
    cbosdell and Dave Bourque like this.
    06-11-15 06:41 PM
    Heat didn't cause it just like the Passport won't bend and it doesn't have a double typing issue. Welcome to CB OP!
    06-11-15 08:10 PM
    The bottom right corner of my passport looks exactly the same, but I dropped mine..lol

Sent from my Passport
    06-11-15 09:30 PM
    Passport was replaced by Blackberry Tech Support.
    I sent them my logs and they said they don't see anything going on with my android apps. Aside from the small mark on the edge, my Passport becomes incredibly hot to the touch, right where the battery is. I shipped my Passport to them on Tuesday, using my Z30 until I get my replacement.
    Thanks for all of your idiotic statements. I didn't need to be "welcomed" to CB. I've been on here for years. But there is your happy ending. To the butts who work at Bestbuy with their "I would deny your claim" BS. In your face.
    Last edited by pkcable; 06-12-15 at 08:18 AM. Reason: yes edited!
    Smply_Rckless likes this.
    06-11-15 11:35 PM
    I sent them my logs and they said they don't see anything going on with my android apps. Aside from the small mark on the edge, my Passport becomes incredibly hot to the touch, right where the battery is. I shipped my Passport to them on Tuesday, using my Z30 until I get my replacement.
    Thanks for all of your idiotic statements. I didn't need to be "welcomed" to CB. I've been on here for years. But there is your happy ending. To the butts who work at Bestbuy with their "I would deny your claim" BS. In your face.
    Glad it all worked out for u.

Tapatalk'n On The IPhone 6 Plus 
    Last edited by pkcable; 06-12-15 at 08:19 AM. Reason: same edits
    06-11-15 11:42 PM
    Also, I don't appreciate the references to "joint smoking". My name is actually Mari (Marr-EE), middle name Jane.
    But point is, I have a valid claim, Blackberry Tech Support has acknowledged this. Since I wasn't even filing the claim about the mark but about the unit overheating and not charging.
    So you can all sleep at night since you clearly were so worried over my misfortune. I'm sorry things didn't work out the way you guys wanted it to. Miserable people you must be.
    Last edited by MissMariJane; 06-12-15 at 12:11 AM.
    reeneebob likes this.
    06-11-15 11:48 PM
    Lol. They weren't wrong either. Yes it's likely that the battery might of been defective. But if the processor melted that corner of the device the whole thing would of been finished.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-12-15 12:58 AM
    Well, I've learned a lesson from reading this thread.

Me: Document hardware issues with videos, research information to be heavily informed, spend hours on the phone with BlackBerry, spend 3 weeks of back and forth emails and 4 escalations to higher tier customer support = hardware warranty denied

Her: Make a claim of phone overheating SO MUCH, yet still functioning perfectly with no throttling or performance drop, that it melts the device opposite from where the heat is coming from = no questions asked, here's a new device!

Makes perfect sense to me.

And don't be naive MariJane. When making that screename you didn't think for one second "Maybe someone will make a joke regarding weed?" I made my avatar because I looked at the CB logo and got inspiration for turning it into a face smoking a joint. I don't smoke weed, but I guarantee everyone on this form thinks I do. If you put it out there, people will respond and think a certain way.
    tp2386 likes this.
    06-12-15 01:08 AM
    You then must be referring to me as the butts. I have absolutely no problem with that, I have dealt with harsher people than you. I not only work for Best Buy but my company is contracted to a number of warranty underwriting firms, OEMs and retail chains.

I know what I saw in that picture clear as day. If myself or any of my staff tried to pass that damage off as grounds for a warranty exchange to our clients, we would be in big trouble and our accounts and practices called into question. Integrity and honestly are important in our line of work. We don't engage in sleazebaggery or shady tactics.

Don't forget that you are the one who started this thread, and do you remember what the title of this thread was?

"WTF? Can I buff this out?"

Part of my job is also investigating when people try to pull fast ones on the manufacturers and try to pass off blatant customer abuse as defects in workmanship.

If you knew from the start that the damage was caused by overheating and a burning battery, why would you feel the need to "buff this out"? It's not your fault the phone was damaged, right? So why are you asking people how to buff your phone damage out? Only someone who either accidentally or intentionally dropped their device would be seeking advice on how to repair or buff out the damage.

The proper course of action you should have taken was to never make this thread at all and take your concerns direct to Blackberry. Problem solved.

I never implied you smoked green, I just know that you dropped your phone.

I, for one, am glad you got it sorted out. You are the lucky one. I salute you.

Whoever authorized that exchange for you at BB Tech Support, it's their backside that's gonna be on the line when their supervisor sees that they authorized an exchange for a unit with that kind of damage. There are certain standards set for what constitutes faulty workmanship and customer damage, these things are not just arbitrarily dreamed up on a case-by-case basis.

The last time I saw a shady authorization like that, both the customer and the TS agent enjoyed significant benefits. The customer was given a new $3000 TV...and the tech support agent was given the opportunity to find themselves a brand, spanking new job.

Enjoy your new device that's coming, and take better care of it.
    Last edited by pkcable; 06-12-15 at 08:21 AM. Reason: same edits
    Daanisawesome and modifier like this.
    06-12-15 01:33 AM
    Well for her luck, hopefully BlackBerry doesn't take the phone apart and change their mind. Then she'll be a really happy customer with a new device bill.
    And yes, BlackBerry has the right to bill her the full price of the replacement phone if her claim turns out to be false.

When Samsung had people claiming their phones were melting, Samsung did investigations on the phones returned and ended up back charging over half those people that made the claims.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 05:05 AM
    Thanks for all of your idiotic statements. I didn't need to be "welcomed" to CB. I've been on here for years. But there is your happy ending. To the assholes who work at Bestbuy with their "I would deny your claim" BS. In your face. You suck.
    I know my "welcome to CB" and I'm sure donnations were actually sarcastic and on your side, I'm sorry if you took it as an insult. I said commenting to how you got piled on by the usual antics of late...the "someone said something negative about the PP attack attack accuse of lying attack".

And yeah, the drug references were obnoxious.

Glad you got the issue sorted though!

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    06-12-15 06:36 AM
    I'm going to close the thread with this........

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!

PS Yea a bunch of posts are deleted live with it!!!!!!!
    JanuarJaguar likes this.
    06-12-15 08:23 AM
91 ... 234