09-28-14 01:36 PM
74 123
tools
    This was a discussion, what a f***** forum is meant for. I asked for opinions, and you give demands.
    Bro....welcome to the world of CB. You're only 67 posts in. You haven't seen nothing yet. But if you keep your head down and eyes opens, you'll learn a little bit and survive.

Cheers.
    KingOfQwerty and LLAmos like this.
    09-26-14 09:18 AM
    I do find it interesting there's no one who mentions "innovation" regarding Passport. To me, what Blackberry has done with Passport and BB10 seems way more innovative than what Apple has done in the last few years. Yes, Apple had its own share of innovation at one time, and combined with their stellar marketing and personal charisma of Mr. Jobs (due in bigger part to the latter two, I think) they had a huge commercial success.
    Now Blackberry is innovating. Not necessarily the money making type of innovating, not necessarily the kind of innovation that will enrapture everyone, maybe, but I see them innovating way more here.

I guess that just goes to what I mean to say - Blackberry has poor marketing and doesn't have a Jobs.
    09-26-14 09:47 AM
    I neither did read the whole thread, nor did I watch the whole "review" as they call it. It started weird and turned stupid, I couldn't stand watching it and wasting any more time by finishing it. WSJ has a good reputation over here, yet this looks like something your local Joe newspaper might produce.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    09-26-14 04:14 PM
    No offense to anyone out there in the CB community, but I just loved this guy's comment:

WSJ review of the passport-img_20140926_220239.png

WSJ review of the passport-img_20140926_220246.png

Posted via Commodore 64
    09-26-14 09:03 PM
    I'm sorry but what business are people in when the first mode of communications is neither email nor phone call???
    Webcam model? Just a thought... lol

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 10:35 PM
    I run my own business, and the reason I have a BlackBerry ultimately is because of the messaging capability. Iphone was always completely out of the question because of its inability to send attachments.

So yes, some reviewers are missing the point that for a work device the primary need is calls and email. It just is. But they almost always write from the consumer perspective, and there many of the criticisms are valid in that context, but missing the point somewhat.

However, this is less true of something like a Z30, which is plainly aimed at consumer as well as corporate, but for the Passport, which is unashamedly a business device, that really is the point of it. There aren't many social activities it's going to be outstanding at, simply because of the form factor. You can do better with something else. I doubt BlackBerry would dispute that either.

Posted via CB10
    You can't send attachments natively via IPhone?!?!?! Is that still true?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 10:41 PM
    Fair point, but the iPhone is the status quo. I would counter that most people would contend every other platform is playing catchup to it. Plus, we also have to take into consideration the fact that for the entrenched iPhone user, BB10 might not be enough of a value to make them change.

I find it hard to criticize the Hub.
    See but that's my point...why at this point is it the status quo? Nothing software or hardware makes it stand heads and above.

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    09-26-14 11:57 PM
    See but that's my point...why at this point is it the status quo? Nothing software or hardware makes it stand heads and above.

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    You can make that argument, yes. All it really needs is for enough people to think it's the standard, though.

The ecosystem does help, I think. Not enough for me, but I can somewhat understand the allure.
    09-27-14 12:21 AM
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong but in my job email is still king... the only time I don't use email in a work capacity would be with a co-worker and that's still via text. I'm fairly certain this is the target market that BlackBerry is after. If your a lawyer, accountant, realtor, agent, sales person, financial consultant, contractor, etc. I would think you would be communicating with your clients or customers via phone call or email. If you've moved beyond email you probably have a fairly close relationship, but lets be honest who's sending Instagrams and Facebook messages to their stock broker. Frankly, if I had retained the services of a professional I'd be pretty appalled if they contacted me with anything aside from a phone call, email, or text and text is stretching it a bit.

The Passports is meant for the type of people who don't do anything but work (I know a few) or the people who actually do need a very serious communication tool for their work. A real estate agent that is very dedicated to their work is a perfect example. It's a job that requires you to be constantly on the move and requires professional communications with buyers and sellers that expect quick competent and attentive treatment.
    09-27-14 01:17 AM
    Yes, but in the professional world, emails are used extensively. This is the target audience.
    Exactly. Email is still the most important communication tool for business users. You have a paper trail, filing, attachments/secure attachments, links, CC, signatures, etc. It's just the way things were currently work, still.

Posted with Passport via CB10
    09-27-14 01:23 AM
    Yes. BlackBerry is weak when it comes to dealing with carriers. The days of them calling any shots are gone, perhaps forever. They have very limited resources. They've cut their workforce just to stay alive.

So I am happy they are just still in business with a plan to grow again. I don't think one can expect more than that.
    I think the previous management were arrogant to the the carriers, to the point of making the carriers not like then, and the carriers realized they could make way more money by pushing other devices that people wanted that didn't require a Fmfee to RIM per month to work. This is why BIS died in BB10. I think a lot of what we see now are the carriers turning the tables on them. However if BlackBerry can get strong sales numbers on Amazon and shopblackberry.com, and carriers start to realize that they are missing out on some profit potential they may start including BlackBerry again.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    09-27-14 07:52 AM
    I think the previous management were arrogant to the the carriers, to the point of making the carriers not like then, and the carriers realized they could make way more money by pushing other devices that people wanted that didn't require a Fmfee to RIM per month to work. This is why BIS died in BB10. I think a lot of what we see now are the carriers turning the tables on them. However if BlackBerry can get strong sales numbers on Amazon and shopblackberry.com, and carriers start to realize that they are missing out on some profit potential they may start including BlackBerry again.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    It won't have gone unnoticed at the carriers that 200,000 sales in a day occurred that bypassed them completely.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 08:16 AM
    I wonder we live in the world of aspect ratio 16:9. How did they get the idea of the square?
    09-27-14 08:23 AM
    I wonder we live in the world of aspect ratio 16:9. How did they get the idea of the square?
    An aspect ratio which sucks for a lot of stuff.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    09-27-14 09:07 AM
    Take some time to watch these videos:

Loved the Q10 but now it's Z30 power time!!!
    09-27-14 09:15 AM
    So i figured why Blackberry critiques pan Blackberry.

They were all Blackberry users at one point of time (the time when "the best" was still the best & these consumers wanted a pie out of Blackberry)

Today these consumers have moved to other platforms which promote communication in an open sphere kind of environment a.k.a Social networking.

Fact is Blackberry is still the best in non social networking domain & the more and more ex blackberrians pan blackberry the more and more they appear ******.
    09-28-14 01:19 AM
    Hmm well most reviewers are hoping for consumer phone so we can't blame them. John Chen had been vocal about blackberry going back to its roots which is a regulated market. That is his first target market before the consumer market. The Passport was not advertised for entertainment or selfie or for taking videos. It was advertised for those people who uses smartphone for reading and viewing excel files,xrays, layout designs etc. Not for watching HD movies and posting Instagram pics. It's a phone with that purpose in mind.
    This product just screams BlackBerry and not trying to be iPhone or Android.

Z10
    Northernlady likes this.
    09-28-14 02:51 AM
    I'm a professional and 90% of my communication is through emails. If the worst thing they can say about the passport is its still best at emails that's a good review. 200k sold in 2 days might get it noticed by big name app developers soon

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 04:02 AM
    I have all the apps you mentioned on my Q10, Z30 and soon passport. Instagram, what's app, facebook, better web browser than the rest, there is nothing that I can't do on my blackberry 10s that the iphone or android can.

Except of course for I message which no one uses in my country (everyone uses what's app)

My blackberry does a whole lots more than email so that review is quite stupid if you ask me.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 04:59 AM

I never had instagram and it is not big in europe....

Posted via CB10
    You're right, it's much bigger than that. Enormous?

Posted via CB10 on Blackberry Q5
    09-28-14 05:29 AM
    I wouldn't call myself a Buisness driven person. I don't work for a big company, nor would I say I NEED a hub to sort out my 5-6 emails a day. I'm just your normal graduate student working a normal graduate job. My interests are all the social apps that Blackberry don't have. Perhaps I should have a iPhone/Android since apparently the Blackberry isn't for me.... but I choose Blackberry all the time, mainly because I can't leave my keyboard.

I'm only making this point because everyone keeps driving on about this business use thing as if there aren't loads of normal teens around still on Blackberry's. With Snap, I have all the Google apps along with Insta, Snapchat etc. Sure they aren't perfect but I've had no issues.. it's not impossible to get these apps and live comfortably.

Anyway, I'm not going to rant.. I'm just standing up for my generation of BlackBerry users. We don't all have Apple/Androids
    WSJ review of the passport-img_20140928_114517.png

09-28-14 05:45 AM
    I wouldn't call myself a Buisness driven person. I don't work for a big company, nor would I say I NEED a hub to sort out my 5-6 emails a day. I'm just your normal graduate student working a normal graduate job. My interests are all the social apps that Blackberry don't have. Perhaps I should have a iPhone/Android since apparently the Blackberry isn't for me.... but I choose Blackberry all the time, mainly because I can't leave my keyboard.

I'm only making this point because everyone keeps driving on about this business use thing as if there aren't loads of normal teens around still on Blackberry's. With Snap, I have all the Google apps along with Insta, Snapchat etc. Sure they aren't perfect but I've had no issues.. it's not impossible to get these apps and live comfortably.

Anyway, I'm not going to rant.. I'm just standing up for my generation of BlackBerry users. We don't all have Apple/Androids
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140928_114517.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	346.4 KB 
ID:	301188

Those MX apps for London transport are brilliant, aren't they...

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 05:49 AM
    Point is BlackBerry's tech and QNX is ahead of the market in many ways. Have you seen Blend? When and where have you seen a touch enabled keyboard? Some vendors are just adding NFC which BlackBerry has had for like 3 yrs. USB OTG is another capability that many devices on the market lack. Do you know how convenient it is to be able to use a USB/Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with your Hand held when it's blasting full HD to an External HD display? Or how about DLNA and MirrorCast, or the filing system, with major cloud services baked right in? Multitasking? Which other mobile device on the market is capable of running apps from a competing vendor? Battery life is second to none, display with 456ppi custom dictionary, word substitution? There is lots more too, and lets not forget about security
    Northernlady likes this.
    09-28-14 10:20 AM
    Those MX apps for London transport are brilliant, aren't they...

Posted via CB10
    Why yes, yes they are.

09-28-14 01:36 PM
74 123