It grabs people's attention and pulls them in or pushes them away in a hurry....

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 10:08 PM
    So teenager opinion is irrelevant and derided when they fawn over androids and iPhone but is considered valid when they say something positive about BlackBerry? Right, gotcha
    The initial emotional reaction is noteworthy. In the past BlackBerry knew not to pay heed to that demographic. Now it is remarkable that such a positive reaction is received from that same demographic. Is that not better than being ignored?
    Last edited by LoneStarRed; 07-01-14 at 10:14 AM.
    06-30-14 10:45 PM
    My wife, who is a businesswoman thinks that it is hideous. It's cool if your teenage daughter was being serious, but like my wife, it's just one person's opinion.
    All the ladies I spoke to said no to the early pictures of it but all changed their mind now.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    07-01-14 12:55 AM
    All the ladies I spoke to said no to the early pictures of it but all changed their mind now.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    Yeah, finally seeing it in John Chen's hand made it a little more "real".
    07-01-14 01:09 AM
    BB missed the touch-screen phone 'boom' by years. By then, the BB Keyboard selling point was minimal, to say the least, as good as it was/is.

Altho', as we know, BB10's usability and hub more than make up for it not being top-top spec. for most purposes (in the Z30's case, at least), this is of little consequence either (iPhones aren't exactly rocket fuel), and trying to convince iSheep or Android users to switch ecosystems hasn't worked either.

With that in mind, the Passport kinda had to move the goalposts really. The square screen, odd-look, etc., does catch the eye. But good looking girls catch the eye also - and then so does a car crash...

I do think it'll be 'Marmite' - it'll be love or hated. Very few in-between I imagine. But surely this is better than all-but the die-hards just by-passing the latest BB10 device without even a second glance. I think Chen's hand was forced, but he might end up having some half-decent cards...
    07-01-14 10:03 AM
    The Passport will truly surprise all the doubters. Time will tell.
    07-01-14 10:31 AM
    BB missed the touch-screen phone 'boom' by years. By then, the BB Keyboard selling point was minimal, to say the least, as good as it was/is.

Altho', as we know, BB10's usability and hub more than make up for it not being top-top spec. for most purposes (in the Z30's case, at least), this is of little consequence either (iPhones aren't exactly rocket fuel), and trying to convince iSheep or Android users to switch ecosystems hasn't worked either.

With that in mind, the Passport kinda had to move the goalposts really. The square screen, odd-look, etc., does catch the eye. But good looking girls catch the eye also - and then so does a car crash...

I do think it'll be 'Marmite' - it'll be love or hated. Very few in-between I imagine. But surely this is better than all-but the die-hards just by-passing the latest BB10 device without even a second glance. I think Chen's hand was forced, but he might end up having some half-decent cards...
    A Marmite device also works brilliantly if it attracts attention and causes people to consider the other BB handsets. At the moment, no one even thinks about them - this may (only may) change that a little bit.
    Stwutter likes this.
    07-01-14 10:37 AM

Absolutely agree. BlackBerry had to disrupt and set new milestones for handheld devices.

I think a Passport will be a lot more pleasant than Marmite/Vegemite . But I don't think it will have such a memorable song mention.
    Stwutter likes this.
    07-01-14 10:39 AM
    Vegemite is a pale imitation. Never forget that....
    07-01-14 10:42 AM
    Double post
    07-01-14 10:42 AM
    Vegemite is a pale imitation. Never forget that....
    Here we go...this could get nasty.
    07-01-14 10:44 AM
    Here we go...this could get nasty.
    That was my evil plan....mwahahaha......
    07-01-14 10:46 AM
    A Marmite device also works brilliantly if it attracts attention and causes people to consider the other BB handsets. At the moment, no one even thinks about them - this may (only may) change that a little bit.
    Exactly. It will bring buzz to the brand! And sales will result from those who like it.
    07-01-14 10:46 AM
    That was my evil plan....mwahahaha......
    Marmite vs. Vegemite. Yankees vs. Red Sox. Man Utd vs. Liverpool. Everton vs. Liverpool. No reasoning with the masses there at all.
    07-01-14 10:54 AM
    Marmite vs. Vegemite. Yankees vs. Red Sox. Man Utd vs. Liverpool. Everton vs. Liverpool. No reasoning with the masses there at all.
    I'm a Manchester City fan. You're not making friends here you know....
    BigAl_BB9900 and JeepBB like this.
    07-01-14 10:59 AM
    I'm a Manchester City fan. You're not making friends here you know....
    I so started to answer differently but wisdom and restraint prevailed. Let's be "united" in our support of BlackBerry. If we see each other in the "city" I will buy you a beer and we can talk about it. Fair enough I hope.
    Banco likes this.
    07-01-14 11:05 AM
    Neither I think. We shall see
    Protective Father Mode: Engaged.
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    07-01-14 12:19 PM
    Protective Father Mode: Engaged.
    Lol. She was looking out of state and we've talked. She can really go anywhere. I do prefer close to home but that will be her decision. Teaching my girls to shoot (yes guns), fight and hunt has been a priority. They work hard and are honor students. Yes I am proud of them but I don't stifle. As young adults my job now is still guidance and helping them to make wise choices. We don't want an Icarus on our hands do we?

And yes I have had to communicate non verbally to prospective beaus. But as long as they stay within the boundaries it's all good.
    07-01-14 01:12 PM
    Lol. She was looking out of state and we've talked. She can really go anywhere. I do prefer close to home but that will be her decision. Teaching my girls to shoot (yes guns), fight and hunt has been a priority. They work hard and are honor students. Yes I am proud of them but I don't stifle. As young adults my job now is still guidance and helping them to make wise choices. We don't want an Icarus on our hands do we?

And yes I have had to communicate non verbally to prospective beaus. But as long as they stay within the boundaries it's all good.
    Ah, I hear you on that. Not being a father myself yet, I can only imagine being in those shoes really. I suppose one majestic day I will be that guy lurking in the background of pre-prom photos out front of the house with a shotgun, just sporting a look of absolute distaste, haha.

It sounds as though you are doing a fine job, and just so a MOD doesn't ban us for straying too far off topic, her intelligence level must be off the charts to recognize a BlackBerry smartphone as a "hot" alternative. Now that is a statement we can all get behind.

Would be great to see the Passport bring in a few of the teenage customers in the market! Do you think she might pick one up if the situation is right (contracts, money, etc.)?
    07-01-14 01:19 PM
    My daughter was doing some homework (summer college class). I was looking at a post on CB with pictures of the Passport. I was curious to get a raw impression from her.
    I showed her only one photo of Chen holding the new phone and asked her opinion. I was quite shocked to hear her say: "Wow, that's hot". This is coming from a 17 year old iPhone 5s social butterfly.
    The Passport GRABS people and pulls them in! From there they say "what, that's a BlackBerry? " I expect a big splash and shake up with this device.
    Passport is a revolutionary device.
    Like it or hate it, I believe there's not much space between these options.
    As much as I can tell (and based on several testimonies) I'll like it ... very very much.
    Teenagers may have a ride for something "new" ... and that KB alone, my friends, is a pure revolution.
    07-01-14 01:35 PM
    She was probably talking about Chen!

"Wow That's Hot!" says 17 year old about Passport-johnchen1.jpg
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    07-01-14 02:51 PM
    Passport is a revolutionary device.
    Like it or hate it, I believe there's not much space between these options.
    As much as I can tell (and based on several testimonies) I'll like it ... very very much.
    Teenagers may have a ride for something "new" ... and that KB alone, my friends, is a pure revolution.
    Pardon my ignorance but what has the passport revolutionized? I feel like people are comparing it to the iPhone when it first came out and how it greatly differed from everything else, but it wasn't considered revolutionary til it was actually successful.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-01-14 03:43 PM
    Pardon my ignorance but what has the passport revolutionized? I feel like people are comparing it to the iPhone when it first came out and how it greatly differed from everything else, but it wasn't considered revolutionary til it was actually successful.
    It's a revolutionary 'look', but how revolutionary it is will be determined by whether it helps turn BlackBerry around, and then if it effects the wider market or not.

The Human Torch was denied a bank-loan.
    07-01-14 03:46 PM

Would be great to see the Passport bring in a few of the teenage customers in the market! Do you think she might pick one up if the situation is right (contracts, money, etc.)?
    That......is a good question. I have to say it is a distinct possibility. If the Passport is over the top awesome it can actually happen. Of course that means seamless Twitter, Instagram and Vine ( more I think) social media performance. The 13mpx camera will rock. They are objective enough to be open to it once the visuals of the device prove to be compelling.

On a funny note they adopted my terms and call the Apple zombies Appleheads or Borg.
    07-01-14 06:10 PM
    She was probably talking about Chen!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	johnchen1.jpg 
Views:	826 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	281848
    Lol. Is that what she was talking about? Considering the phone I showed her was Chen's hand holding a Passport the chances are slim.
    07-01-14 06:12 PM
75 123