No new threads, seems people have or trying to get rid of Passport, as only couple of months to go! But I guess the support has extended after 2020, how true is it?

Posted via CB10
    10-26-19 11:53 AM
    No new threads, seems people have or trying to get rid of Passport, as only couple of months to go! But I guess the support has extended after 2020, how true is it?

Posted via CB10
    Nothing has changed with respect to support. BlackBerry only issued a clarification that the backend services won't be immediately EOL on Jan 1st.

I suspect they will keep them going as long as something doesn't break.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Nothing wrong with that!
    10-26-19 12:16 PM

Posted via CB10

The Passport is an amazing device no doubt, from a hardware perspective that screen size and shape, the keyboard and the speakers. The thing is a tank!!

I recently dropped mine and the device won't turn on, I'm devastated. I have a lot of photos and such I need to get looked after and I might need to go the expensive, data recovery route.

I'm looking at replacing it as I am using a Classic for the moment. I like the Classic a lot but the speed and the screen size + the few remaining BlackBerry World Android apps don't work too well.

It's a great device and I hope it will continue to serve you for calls, texts and emails for the future!

Posted via CB10
    10-26-19 03:08 PM
    Nothing has changed with respect to support. BlackBerry only issued a clarification that the backend services won't be immediately EOL on Jan 1st.

Yes, will enjoy the device till it stops, but any confirmation how long will it live after 2020?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-19 03:44 AM
    Yes, will enjoy the device till it stops, but any confirmation how long will it live after 2020?

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately there is no date, it could be a couple of months or a few years we just don't know.

Enjoy it for as long as you can.

Posted via CB10 using my OG Passport running 10.3.3.3216
    10-27-19 07:04 AM
    Unfortunately there is no date, it could be a couple of months or a few years we just don't know.

Enjoy it for as long as you can.

Absolutely, but learn from @curves2000 's example and make sure you have all of your data backed up - and more specifically, make sure you have it backed up in a non-proprietary, non-encrypted format. Standard BB backups using Link save data in an encrypted format that requires BB services to be online in order to decrypt, and can only be restored to a working device - you can't get data out of the backup any other way.

So, in addition to Link backups, make sure your pictures, documents, contacts, calendar entries, app data, and anything else important to you is saved in a format that can be accessed or imported by other platforms, because if your device breaks tomorrow (as happened to curves2000), or if services get shut off, your options for getting your data off the device could be severely limited (and potentially very expensive), or even impossible.

Don't put yourself in a position where you lose data. That's a horrible situation to be in, always.
    10-27-19 02:24 PM
    Absolutely, but learn from @curves2000 's example and make sure you have all of your data backed up - and more specifically, make sure you have it backed up in a non-proprietary, non-encrypted format. Standard BB backups using Link save data in an encrypted format that requires BB services to be online in order to decrypt, and can only be restored to a working device - you can't get data out of the backup any other way.

So, in addition to Link backups, make sure your pictures, documents, contacts, calendar entries, app data, and anything else important to you is saved in a format that can be accessed or imported by other platforms, because if your device breaks tomorrow (as happened to curves2000), or if services get shut off, your options for getting your data off the device could be severely limited (and potentially very expensive), or even impossible.

Don't put yourself in a position where you lose data. That's a horrible situation to be in, always.

Thanks for posting this as its a very important post and step. I'm kicking myself everyday for my situation as it looks like I'm going to have to pay a small fortune + lose a full working device + need a new one.

I've read on here a million times to do a proper back up! He'll, I bought an SD card for that reason and it just sat around collecting dust in the drawer.

I got a little cocky in some ways cause the Passport is such a little tank and I thought nothing would happen. The irony is that when I dropped it, nothing happened physically to the phone, only the software.

Moral of the story for all BlackBerry 10 users is to make sure you have everything backed up. If your looking for a cloud solution or something, ask for help.

If your in a bind on what to do and have a back up BlackBerry device, use the device switch app and transfer photos, files and calendar, contacts to the backup device until you know what your doing.

Thanks to all the CB members for their assistance

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-27-19 02:43 PM
    I just fired up my PP SE and am typing this from that device on the CB10 app and wow... IMO this is still the undisputed champion of pkb! The swipe up words feature is flawless and miles better than the KEY2. And the width of the keyboard... such luxury !

Shame that I can't really use this for anything other than email and text. I'll just keep it on my desk as my CB forums posting machine !

Posted via CB10
    10-29-19 10:19 PM
    I just fired up my PP SE and am typing this from that device on the CB10 app and wow... IMO this is still the undisputed champion of pkb! The swipe up words feature is flawless and miles better than the KEY2. And the width of the keyboard... such luxury !

Shame that I can't really use this for anything other than email and text. I'll just keep it on my desk as my CB forums posting machine !

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!!! I enjoy BB10 hardware for CB10, email and text....although I prefer CB in a mobile browser for DM features.
    10-29-19 10:22 PM
    Exactly!!! I enjoy BB10 hardware for CB10, email and text....although I prefer CB in a mobile browser for DM features.
    I wish I could go back to dual carrying. But I'm spoiled with the dual Sim and can't adjust to going with just a single BB10 device for email and text with no reliable access to all my other apps (mostly Google account stuff, PocketCast but most importantly, my work email).

I've also done the cobalt playstore workaround but it's not quite the same.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-19 10:32 PM
    Emergency calls only in 3... 2... 1...
    10-30-19 05:38 AM
    please explain to me (weak of mind) what will become of my OG Passport when the service support finally goes. will it still function as a phone and email, messaging, browsing, and more sometimes using android runtime ? or will it brick ??
    10-30-19 01:38 PM
    please explain to me (weak of mind) what will become of my OG Passport when the service support finally goes. will it still function as a phone and email, messaging, browsing, and more sometimes using android runtime ? or will it brick ??
    Nothing will brick or explode in your hand. It will just slowly become less useful as back-end services are deprecated and protocols evolve.

The only thing you might have to be careful with is resetting the device. You should also get used to using third-party backup solutions, and/or the cloud.
    10-30-19 01:53 PM
    I back up everything from all my phones to idrive constantly. Passport is backed up to microSD card. I am anxious to be able to use it on occasio going forward for several reasons:

1. For the pleasure of it as a unique experience
    2. For travel as backup device. It was useful last time when my KEYᵒⁿᵉ experienced screen pop and BlackBerry advised me to wait until back to get warranty advanced exchange with the correct model
    3. To really hard look compare with Titan to see if it's a viable device with a future.
    4. I makes people jump to see it being so unique and rare; my sole remaining claim to being cool as the Fonz...
    10-30-19 02:14 PM
    Nothing will brick or explode in your hand. It will just slowly become less useful as back-end services are deprecated and protocols evolve.

The only thing you might have to be careful with is resetting the device. You should also get used to using third-party backup solutions, and/or the cloud.
    Will it become unreliable?
    Will it become un-reset-able due to lack of BlackBerry ID or something like that?
    10-30-19 02:16 PM
    Not only passport, most of bb10 phones don't get into typical issues like android phones. Most of bb10 threads are third party app specific.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-19 02:17 PM
    Will it become unreliable?
    Will it become un-reset-able due to lack of BlackBerry ID or something like that?
    BlackBerry ID infrastructure has struggled with reliability over the last while, but has been fixed each time. One has to wonder what will happen going forward. Just hope for the best, but plan for the worst.
    10-30-19 02:20 PM

Hi, apk whatsapp stopped today! Asking to update. I installed whatsapp from the link you gave me few months ago. Now what's the latest working whatsapp for Passport?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-19 02:08 AM
    Hi, apk whatsapp stopped today! Asking to update. I installed whatsapp from the link you gave me few months ago. Now what's the latest working whatsapp for Passport?

Posted via CB10
    Just delete WhatsApp and reinstall from the link.

www.whatsapp.com/android/

Posted via CB10
    11-02-19 06:59 AM
    Just delete WhatsApp and reinstall from the link.

www.whatsapp.com/android/

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! I just forgot to uninstall whatsapp! was trying to update after downloading! But a fresh install made it work again!

Posted via CB10
    mh1983 likes this.
    11-02-19 07:26 AM
    I was trying to get rid of this Lil fella but I cant.
    I'd rather keep this until I broke it myself.

I'm going to miss the sound of the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-19 01:36 PM