I don't use a pc for academic work. I tried but it was terrible trying to code on it. It was very unproductive; windows is all around terrible and windows laptops break easily. I very much dislike android in its current state also; my nexus 7 was unusable after a year. Your assertion isn't true for me and others however I am glad Blend is working well for your setup.
    this post alone shows you have no idea what you are talking about...

I hate to say it but Apple Laptops are nice with a good OS for a student (I like the calendar/notes/email integration that Win8 currently struggles with but that's it) but to code seriously? lmaoooo

This laptop blows any $2000+ Apple Laptop out of the water and a sturdier build, same keyboard, even better mouse, same battery life, a much better screen then the retina scam and yes your read that right 2GB graphics card. All in a 3lbs laptop (same as the Air)
    Note: I have the UX303LN, the i7 core option on there.
    http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX303L...UvbUpU10980760

The $800 UX303LA blows any $1000 mac under the water as well.

I thought coders knew a thing or 2 about computers...
    Last edited by khehl; 10-17-14 at 08:09 AM.
    spikesolie likes this.
    10-17-14 07:56 AM
    More people will know only when this is widely available, and that is going to happen only with the OS update for all the BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 09:16 AM
    I don't use a pc for academic work. I tried but it was terrible trying to code on it. It was very unproductive; windows is all around terrible and windows laptops break easily. I very much dislike android in its current state also; my nexus 7 was unusable after a year. Your assertion isn't true for me and others however I am glad Blend is working well for your setup.
    Idk programs and compatibility support for macs is nowhere close to that of windows.

Even as a student, at school one of the things we are warned about is making a project in say keynote. Or other mac exclusive apps because fact of a matter is too many schools still issue pcs

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    10-17-14 10:37 AM
    Also that still has little to do with the original point which is versatility. If tomorrow you find out android suddenly is a platform you need or want to try, all that goes out the window.

My point? We didn't just get what you are talking about. That's what blackberry bridge was. Part of the con with bridge was that when J first got my PlayBook I had ios. Wasn't useful till I hot a z10

10-17-14 10:40 AM
    Honestly I'd have to respectably disagree with you. I very much like using Windows for coding and such, and it's a great experience. Maybe you were using subpar systems running Windows..?
    Anywho, if I had to pick between iOS and Android if BlackBerry10 hadn't worked out, I definitely would have chosen Android, I can't stand the limitations of iOS and everything Apple.

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    10-17-14 10:57 AM
    Windows 8.1 is the best computer os on the market right now.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    10-17-14 12:15 PM
    It is a great feature. I admit I have only glanced at it but it's great to sit down in front of the computer and not have to have the phone out. I use a headset for calls so other than dialing I don't have to have it out. Ties the two together better than I thought it would. However I am disappointed with the iPad app as it quits the minute you move to something else where on my Surface it runs in the background. That's the only fault I see

Passport on AT&T
    That's cripple for ya!! J/k!

Posted via CB10 on lovely Z30
    10-17-14 12:19 PM
    Blend isn't anything special.

I have been using Rogers One Number, and I can actually make and answer PHONE CALLS right on the computer.

The only thing Rogers One Number is missing is BBM.

It is better late than neber, but the Blend came really late to the game.
    Haha.

Only missing HUB, text, email, calendar and file manager.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 12:33 PM
    I find the Blend a truly state of the art app. It does what non of the others can do and that makes it a truly versatile phone.

So far I have used it on my surface 3, mac pro and a galaxy tablet with no issues whatsoever.

Blackberry need to market this type of connectivity and really show it off.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 12:46 PM
    So enjoying Blend so far with my Passport and Samsung Tablet. Three issues have come up though.
    1) When Blend is open on the Tablet and either I start up the Bluetooth keyboard, or the keyboard goes to sleep, Blend disconnects
    2) Could not get Blend to connect when I was in a neighborhood mall using the mall's free Wi-Fi on both the tablet and Passport
    3) What the crap is this "Work Space - Click to Unlock" feature in drop down menu. I cannot click on it and looking up the problem I'm told I must have BlackBerry Enterprise Service - which I do not.
    Anyone else experiencing these issues?
    10-17-14 03:29 PM
    Blend is indeed a great software with lots of potential. Not "new" per s� though, Airdroid has been around for quite a while.

I did have few problem at first :
    - lots of problems when getting in and out of the WiFi range. It's now working perfectly. I don't remember doing an update, but I probably did.
    - Even had a bug that infinitely duplicated my medias and sucked up all my 32 gigs ! Had to factory restore the Passport

Now I wish we had the remote access experience like the one found on BB Link
    I wish there were more notification settings (eg. for my personal email at home, and professional email at work)
    I wish I could grab the apk to install it on my Kindle fire

But yeh, it does make your life much easier
    10-17-14 04:43 PM
    Windows has a range of manufactures all with their individual pros and cons, if you want a durable windows laptop, you can find one, just personally find it easier to code on windows than mac especially since more programs are easily available..

Posted via CB10
    That is true but I haven't found one that lasts more than a year. There is always something that has broken on mine or one of my friend's computers no matter how expensive they are. I had a Dell XPS and my ex had an HP Envy. Both are solid devices but both failed after a year. Windows does not have access to all of the open-source Unix programs and instead have to rely on freeware/shareware and paid-ware software. There is always a program out there that I don't have to worry about a little box that pops up and says I have 14 days left.

this post alone shows you have no idea what you are talking about...

I am at a University of California campus studying physics. I write c++/c code while running openmp for minimization routines in Neutrino Physics. My colleagues in high energy theory and experiment all have macs. Every time I go to conferences I see macs or pcs running LINUX, never windows. Not only that but condensed matter as well. More than "just students" but professionally as well. I had a Dell XPS computer with a top of a line graphics card...the whole nine yards and that thing was clumsy as ****. I gladly got rid of it.Coding in Windows is a nightmare. Want that piece of software? Oh I am sorry, that's shareware and will expire in 14 days. Not only that but you have to use a code editor that is basically a notepad clone. No thank you. I have taken multiple college courses in programming and all of them have said to use a UNIX system, not Windows. Pardon me if I take my own experience or CS professor's advice over yours.

I hate to say it but Apple Laptops are nice with a good OS for a student (I like the calendar/notes/email integration that Win8 currently struggles with but that's it) but to code seriously? lmaoooo

See above.

This laptop blows any $2000+ Apple Laptop out of the water and a sturdier build, same keyboard, even better mouse, same battery life, a much better screen then the retina scam and yes your read that right 2GB graphics card. All in a 3lbs laptop (same as the Air)
    Note: I have the UX303LN, the i7 core option on there.
    Amazon.com : ASUS Zenbook UX303LA-DB51T 13.3-Inch FHD Display Touchscreen Laptop : Computers & Accessories

The $800 UX303LA blows any $1000 mac under the water as well.

I thought coders knew a thing or 2 about computers...
    You mean that macbook air clone with an integrated graphics chip? Do you seriously game with integrated graphics or a laptop for that matter? It doesn't matter how much ram it has. If I wanted to game, I would use my gaming desktop which I can upgrade in the future if needed(which runs windows 8.1 unfortunately). My mac has lasted 2 years so far and not one piece has broke. I get OS updates every time they come out. I have support at the Apple store if I need it. My has an 8 thread i7 processor so I can code for parallel processes in my programs, 8 GB of ram and a Geforce GT 650M if I really wanted to game. It is UNIX based. I don't have to deal with the crap-fest which is windows 8 nor the iffy support of Linux desktops. Every single accessory or printer I have used just needs to be plugged in and it works. I can run native OS X apps or Linux apps on my mac and code c++/c/python/ruby. So yes, I do know what I am talking about and it is just the fact that you can't stand me using Apple devices which made you get all ****-hurt in the first place. I told you that I was happy that you got something similar to what I enjoy daily on my mac/ios devices. That is all. Then someone countered with Apple should release everything they design for everyone else which is complete non-sense. Why should Apple correct for BlackBerry's failures and deficiencies and spend their money developing something for other platforms. That is ridiculous. The strength of an ecosystem is that everything works together without hitch within that ecosystem. Do you see BlackBerry programming the Hub to be used(if by some off chance someone does want to use that bucket) for iOS? No because that is a feature you get for using a BLACKBERRY not an APPLE device. I want Apple to focus on THEIR devices instead of being spread thin developing for compatibility with everyone else's. That is how you get bloat like in the case of Android where developers have to worry about how their app will react to current and past offerings of all manufacturers of Android phones. As for your assertion that your laptop can beat any 2000+ laptop, go to the apple store and read up on their offerings because right now you are coming off as a fool.

Idk programs and compatibility support for macs is nowhere close to that of windows.

Even as a student, at school one of the things we are warned about is making a project in say keynote. Or other mac exclusive apps because fact of a matter is too many schools still issue pcs

Students can easily export to any of Microsofts formats from Mac format or even get Office for mac. I am not sure what you are getting at here. I've never had to download any driver for my mac to get any accessory to work; it all just works. I am able to use any Unix based program without any difficulty and I can use the programs that matter in Windows without hitch. I don't have to worry about installation of internet toolbars or spyware or any of that. I don't have to worry about what CNET puts in my program installer. I don't have to worry about a whole slew of things which is nice because it allows me to focus on the things that matter like my dissertation. I don't have to spend 2 grand for a decent build windows laptop and expect it to fall apart after a year. My friend's three year mac and my 2 year mac still work beautifully and are pristine. However this is besides the point. You all are talking about Blend and for that, I say, "have fun and I'm glad such an awesome feature has arrived for BB10"

Windows 8.1 is the best computer os on the market right now.
    This is a matter of opinion. I personally hate it and dread going into it every time I want to play on my gaming pc. I absolutely hate the interface and wish I would have got windows 7 but again like Windows Phone or BlackBerry, I wanted to try something new and it was a complete disappointment. I'm glad you like it but it isn't "the best" for everyone.
    Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    Last edited by jdhooghe; 10-18-14 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Switched thread/core cause drunk
    10-18-14 05:07 AM
    BlackBerry Blend is an excellent piece of software. As usual, there is no noise about it from the tech media, even though it makes desk-time soooo much more pleasant.

I would rather not have to use a separate device (PC) at all, but mobile isn't quite there yet. When I am forced into a PC session, it's so incredibly nice to not have to go back and forth between the two devices. Not having to make that unconscious mental 'shift' each time is something I never thought about before, but the sense of being unburdened is quite real.

Posted via PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 on CB10!
    10-18-14 10:03 AM
    good god do not turn this into a pc vs mac flamewar. I will nominate anyone who continues for permaban. sheesh.

I would like to see Blend enable more 'housekeeping' tasks, like organizing browser bookmarks, access to Remember notes, tags, editing email accounts / changing server settings, etc. My Passport screen and keyboard are great for enabling lots of activities that are impractical on smaller screens / touchscreen keyboards, but all that swiping and long-pressing to edit and organize things is tedious. Put another way: handheld data "maintenance" is a task that is easily deferred until you are 'back at your desk' and it is those kinds of tasks that should be available in Blend, not just the basic data access tasks.
    si001 likes this.
    10-18-14 10:42 AM
    BB Blend is indeed pretty slick however I cannot see whatsapp msgs on my laptop or can I?
    10-18-14 12:57 PM
    BB Blend is indeed pretty slick however I cannot see whatsapp msgs on my laptop or can I?
    No whatsapp doesn't have access to blend so you will not see any messages from that app. Maybe in the future BlackBerry will open the app to allow 3rd party apps access to blend.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 02:54 PM
    I don't know what all the fuss is about; Adam Sandler was never that funny and I never thought Drew Barrymore was that attractive. Wait, what? Oh, sorry that was Blended.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 04:02 PM
    Blend is like still BETA, or not too far from that. Don't forget that too.
    10-18-14 05:17 PM
    Thanks Spawn12...yeah maybe in the future. It'll be good to see all the messages on one screen...
    10-19-14 01:46 AM
    I love blend, sweet sweet idea.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    10-19-14 02:03 AM
    Me not passport device, still can't use it always restrictions by ... RIM

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 09:18 PM
    How useful is it when it lacks full integration of Hub? Having notifications just for text, BBM and email is kind of limited. I'm not complaining but I will give it some time to grow. I would like to see full integration of hub as well as making calls using blend.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 06:33 AM
    No whatsapp doesn't have access to blend so you will not see any messages from that app. Maybe in the future BlackBerry will open the app to allow 3rd party apps access to blend.

Posted via CB10
    Opening third party api won't be useful as there aren't many developers keen on creating apps for BlackBerry 10, let alone the blend. We have a growth in Amazon Android apps too in our ecosystem. They must bring the notification center from the Hub to blend so we could get notifications from Android apps too. Mirroring the phone could even be a solution if it's possible.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 06:38 AM
    Boo hoo hoo, my Blend isn't working this am.

Rebooted my PC, rebooted my phone. Says "connecting" but then says it can't connect. Checked all the settings and such and all seems in order.

What annoys me, is I got spoiled by Blend using it on my PC at the office, and now that I don't have it this morning, Its killing me! I miss it, and realize now how freakin handy it was to have.

Edit: deleted the Blend software from my PC and reinstalled. All is well again.
    Last edited by sandman10; 10-20-14 at 12:03 PM.
    10-20-14 07:23 AM
    I am sorry if this has been answered, but I was wondering what transferring files is like through blend?

How do you transfer files from Blend to PC, or vice versa? With Link it would automatically sync the photos to my computer, and only the ones that I haven't synced before...does Blend do this? Or do you have to manually choose to save each individual file? Can you drag and drop files from the Device to a Folder on the PC?
    10-21-14 12:09 AM
156 ... 4567