Of course one good use would be to carry out a BBM video conversation on the host computer using your device as a webcam of sorts.
    You realize that at that point you might as well just use the device to carry out the conversation, right? That's not really a convenience so much as extra steps to do something that you can easily do already... being that you probably want to be looking at the camera and thus the phone.

So you mean to say after blend arrives to all the devices BlackBerry link will be discontinued?
    As it stands Link is still necessary... backups and such.
    10-15-14 04:21 PM
    You realize that at that point you might as well just use the device to carry out the conversation, right? That's not really a convenience so much as extra steps to do something that you can easily do already... being that you probably want to be looking at the camera and thus the phone.
    Not necessarily,.. I never stare at my webcam whenever I'm on a PC video chat. But then again, I'm more of an introvert,.. probably looking at my shoes. Lol

I really couldn't care less about the camera,.. but I would love a zero-installation browser based client above all, and in the future perhaps full device interaction to allow remote assistance to my wife/parents.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 04:27 PM
    It can even access the camera on the Passport...

Damn,.. Blend kinda sucks.

Attachment 306307

Posted via CB10
    the funny thing is, this app/program is 2-3 years old. Samsung, BlackBerry and Apple just decided to do it this year...

I can't use this app too much but I do mess around with it. I need BBM since I live in Waterloo (everyone uses BBM here) but if you use any other IM app that your allowed to multi log. This is an amazing solution.
    Last edited by khehl; 10-15-14 at 05:19 PM.
    10-15-14 05:00 PM
    I really couldn't care less about the camera,.. but I would love a zero-installation browser based client above all, and in the future perhaps full device interaction to allow remote assistance to my wife/parents.
    Mostly, I wanted to point out Blend does not kinda suck cause you can't use the camera, unlike that Android app. The camera really doesn't offer much real world functionality.

BBM Video with screen sharing works great for remote assistance by the way. You can easily guide them through things and they learn what to do at the same time.

the funny thing is, this app/program is 2-3 years old. Samsung, BlackBerry and Apple just decided to do it this year...
    You are correct, Blend is very long overdue. But, it does appear they have been perfecting it since the Bridge days.
    10-15-14 05:34 PM
    You are correct, Blend is very long overdue. But, it does appear they have been perfecting it since the Bridge days.
    Yes, but much like all BlackBerry products they never get updated to their full potential. They all start off as an amazing idea (HUB, buying out a big part of DataWiz for DocsToGo, first to natively put quick reply [toast] an OS for example) but then never touch again except for tiny updates (maybe).

What makes you think that Blend won't follow this BlackBerry trend after BBM Meetings and 3rd party apps is implemented?
    Will Remember, DocsToGo, PrintToGo, Express and etc even make it into Blend?
    (every single one of those apps need to be updated as well)
    Last edited by khehl; 10-15-14 at 06:09 PM.
    10-15-14 05:45 PM
    What makes you think that Blend won't follow this BlackBerry trend after BBM Meetings and 3rd party apps is implemented?
    Honestly, I think it's going to be up to the users and then the developers. If BB regains some market share and Blend becomes the next big thing there is no limit I believe. But, that's not something I'm going to hold my breath for, because in all reality (although I hope otherwise) the Passport could still be a big flop along with all of BB10.

The Hub for example isn't stale yet and is still receiving improvements. 10.3 brings Instant Actions (Ref: Thank You BlackBerry for making email triage on 10.3 faster than iOS and Android | CrackBerry.com ), previous updates brought the priority Hub, pinch to sort, and even a gesture to quickly move to the next/previous email. These are pretty major things to some people, and you really can't expect a complete over hall to what is typically called the phones best feature. Things will come, it way seem slow, but proper development and testing takes time. Toast notifications, not really sure what else you would want...

So, back to Blend... I see two major things here, first as I already mentioned there is the possibility it will eventually move to be accessible through any browser. There were rumors this was originally the plan, and rumors that the software is nothing more then a browser. Second, it appears Blend has the framework to work with any app. Assuming BB releases an API for it developers should be able to integrate their own apps into Blend. Look at BBM in Blend, it has it's own so called app at the bottom, where you can access channels, but it is also accessible through the Blend Hub.

Lets assume BB does release an API, which I think it is safe to assume, it is then up to the developers to make/update apps to use that API. That will be dependent on its overall popularity. Just keep in mind, the API is the big thing, this is what will allow Blend to do amazing things... it really doesn't need to go much further then that. BB has already delivered a very complete solution that works very well.
    10-15-14 06:38 PM
    1 The Hub for example isn't stale yet and is still receiving improvements. 10.3 brings Instant Actions (Ref: Thank You BlackBerry for making email triage on 10.3 faster than iOS and Android | CrackBerry.com ), previous updates brought the priority Hub, pinch to sort, and even a gesture to quickly move to the next/previous email. These are pretty major things to some people, and you really can't expect a complete over hall to what is typically called the phones best feature. Things will come, it way seem slow, but proper development and testing takes time. Toast notifications, not really sure what else you would want...

2. So, back to Blend... I see two major things here, first as I already mentioned there is the possibility it will eventually move to be accessible through any browser. There were rumors this was originally the plan, and rumors that the software is nothing more then a browser. Second, it appears Blend has the framework to work with any app. Assuming BB releases an API for it developers should be able to integrate their own apps into Blend. Look at BBM in Blend, it has it's own so called app at the bottom, where you can access channels, but it is also accessible through the Blend Hub.

3. Lets assume BB does release an API, which I think it is safe to assume, it is then up to the developers to make/update apps to use that API. That will be dependent on its overall popularity. Just keep in mind, the API is the big thing, this is what will allow Blend to do amazing things... it really doesn't need to go much further then that. BB has already delivered a very complete solution that works very well.
    I will answer as much as I can. You went a bit far in the outfield but I can at least address some Blend uncertainty and talk about the HUB a lot (from a power user's perspective).

Toast notifications have completely open APIs on Android L and iOS8. Any dev can make a fully interactive toast/quick reply notification. Right now we are limited to BlackBerry only apps.

1. First things first, the HUB was awesome when it came out because it was a good base. There are huge things they need to address because now it's starting to fall behind the competition
    - the Notifications Tab/Category is a mess. I get over 20-100 headless notifications a day (i'm a power user) just on 3 different apps headless apps (these aren't HUB integrated apps). Since there are basically no headless apps. If you were me, trust me you would be annoyed. Imagine me having 10-40 headless apps like the normal person on any other OS.
    a) the "Bell" notification, is not only ugly. It's hard to determine what app it's from sometimes.
    b) no filters/tags/collapsable folders within the Notifications tab to easily find and organize each app.
    c) The Notification "Middle/App Launcher Screen" is ugly and useless.
    http://i.imgur.com/iyDz5uQ.png (yes, I have to look at that pointless ugly screen 20-100 times a day)
    They need to either: let developers use HMTL in the body for the visual look (pictures) and let them make it interactive like HUB Integrated Apps or take out that dumb middle screen and launch the app to that message straight from the dumb (the worse option, but still better then it is now)

- before there was no competition it was completely new, but now
    a) Acompli is out innovating the the Email part of the HUB. Full integrated notes and calendar right from it. How about that? It's feature packed so it's pretty self explanatory
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...compli.acompli
    b) Snowball is out innovating the Notifications part of the HUB (yes, my biggest pet peeve)
    Snowball Debuts A Unified Inbox For All Your Messaging Apps | TechCrunch
    c) HUB for Android, is pretty ugly but at least it gives better indicators for headless notifications https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...emsi.hub&hl=en

- gesture based email looks a lot nicer, can do more and is faster then speed triage.
    - select more is really redundant, you shouldn't manually have to press select more after holding an item. It should automatically let me select more when the delete button is on the action bar. They are overusing the overflow menu.

I also have a nicely compiled HUB/Email Feature List
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...10-3-a-958510/

2. To be honest, there is a slight chance (almost to none) that we will ever have a browser version of Blend. App/Program is the most secure solution for it so I personally think that it should stay like that.

3. I'm not sure if you got confused by me wanting "Remember, DocsToGo, PrintToGo and Express" (I think BlackBerry Travel should be on that list) as 3rd party apps but they are most definitely not. These apps are made by BlackBerry and need to be implemented into Blend by BlackBerry. They are essentials for business (once updated at least).

It is no rumour that Blend will allow 3rd party apps in. The APIs will most likely be released very soon.
    Last edited by khehl; 10-15-14 at 09:40 PM.
    10-15-14 09:29 PM
    I was worried that an overly restrictive firewall or network security would cripple Blend. When we had Wifi at work I couldn't use it with my BB10 phone as it would block the BB services and BBM. Giving me a limited connection error. I haven't had an issue with Blend, but I was worried that I would and imagine that some will.
    Hmm, might have been a user fault on my part, I'll try pairing it again via USB and then removing the USB to see if it works via WiFi or data...

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    10-15-14 09:38 PM

BBM Video with screen sharing works great for remote assistance by the way. You can easily guide them through things and they learn what to do at the same time.
    It works ok as long as the other party has some idea of the terms you are using to describe actions. I have help my mother all the time, in Spanish (my native language)... things like "just swipe from the top", or "tap on the overflow menu button" or "go to the active frame page"... are brutally painful to try to describe in other words and, worse, in another language. Especially when there's a very high chance that the person you're trying to help will mistakenly swipe up and close the BBM video chat/screen share active frame.

Trust me... I've tried... and I full want remote assistance capabilities.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 09:42 PM
    Damn,.. airdroid seems to be completely browser based. Blend would be useful to me if it didn't require the installed client and a bunch of firewall exceptions,.. neither of which I can do on my work computer (where I spend 11 hours a day).

Posted via CB10
    That's funny. My firewall at work has no issue. My guess is Blend doesn't use much more than 80 and 443.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome PASSPORT(!) 2BDDB50E
    10-16-14 12:33 AM
    Blend isn't anything special.

I have been using Rogers One Number, and I can actually make and answer PHONE CALLS right on the computer.

The only thing Rogers One Number is missing is BBM.

It is better late than neber, but the Blend came really late to the game.
    spikesolie likes this.
    10-16-14 01:23 AM
    Blend isn't anything special.

I have been using Rogers One Number, and I can actually make and answer PHONE CALLS right on the computer.

The only thing Rogers One Number is missing is BBM.

It is better late than neber, but the Blend came really late to the game.
    Gave you a like. I needed my dose of bs tonight

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    10-16-14 01:44 AM
    Lol, a simple Google search of the term "Rogers One Number" would show you that it indeed is not a bs.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    10-16-14 01:50 AM
    Lol, a simple Google search of the term "Rogers One Number" would show you that it indeed is not a bs.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    It shows that while it has SOME similarity, it's not even close to the same and very limited in comparison.

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    spikesolie likes this.
    10-16-14 08:43 AM
    I was looking forward to Blend when I got my passport, and was actually the feature that pushed me to go from a monthly plan to a short contract to get one.

I have to agree with the OP, blend really does rock. I work from home, and my phone is, even now, plugged in on my night table. If they ever figure out how to port calls through Blend, it will be perfect. But it doesn't matter much because I don't get many calls - all text, BBM, and the lion's share is email.

The majority of my work (media production) is done on a desktop, and not having to drop what I'm doing and pick up the phone, then answer, is darn near revolutionary in my world. It speaks to how focused Blackberry is been about business productivity, and how well they're executing it.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-16-14 01:24 PM
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for submitting feedback to the Blend Development Team?
    Like others I have my thoughts on how Blend could be improved and I would like to share them through the proper channels.

The one thing that I would like to bring forward is a zoom or re-size feature (Blend displays very small on my Surface Pro 3)
    10-16-14 04:23 PM
    Wish I could join in all the fun of BlackBerry blend on my passport but so far I haven't been able to get it to connect to my laptop. It will say it is connected but then disconnects within a few seconds. Doesn't matter if it's a USB or wireless connection.

Not sure if having my old z30 attached to my BlackBerry id is causing any issues??? I've transferred all my stuff over to my passport so don't know why the Z30 is coming up on blend.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 05:14 PM
    Wish I could join in all the fun of BlackBerry blend on my passport but so far I haven't been able to get it to connect to my laptop. It will say it is connected but then disconnects within a few seconds. Doesn't matter if it's a USB or wireless connection.

Not sure if having my old z30 attached to my BlackBerry id is causing any issues??? I've transferred all my stuff over to my passport so don't know why the Z30 is coming up on blend.

Posted via CB10
    Try uninstalling blend, link and all the drives that your Z30 created from your computer and try to start from scratch.

Then when you plug in your passport it will automatically install blend, and drivers.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 05:23 PM
    Have tried that but still doesn't work. I get the pairing numbers so accept on both laptop and passport, it connects and says bringing up dashboard but then disconnects.

When I first start up blend, I get my Z10, Z30 and passport which is strange as it says all 3 are associated with my BlackBerry id. I've tried deleting them from blend and link but they still show up both in blend and link.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 05:43 PM
    Switch to Passport. You won't regret it. I switched from Q10 to Passport. Man! I never look back.

Posted via CB10
    Ditto!
    10-16-14 06:00 PM
    Love the blend equivalent in iOS. Messaging and phone calls on my MacBook and iPad is amazing. Glad you all got something similar
    10-16-14 09:57 PM
    Love the blend equivalent in iOS. Messaging and phone calls on my MacBook and iPad is amazing. Glad you all got something similar
    It would be even more amazing if you could do that with an iPhone on a non apple device.
    Blend allows cross platform.

Posted via CB10
    spikesolie and Thunderbuck like this.
    10-17-14 02:23 AM
    It would be even more amazing if you could do that with an iPhone on a non apple device.
    Blend allows cross platform.

Posted via CB10
    I don't use a pc for academic work. I tried but it was terrible trying to code on it. It was very unproductive; windows is all around terrible and windows laptops break easily. I very much dislike android in its current state also; my nexus 7 was unusable after a year. Your assertion isn't true for me and others however I am glad Blend is working well for your setup.
    10-17-14 02:49 AM
    I don't use a pc for academic work. I tried but it was terrible trying to code on it. It was very unproductive; windows is all around terrible and windows laptops break easily. I very much dislike android in its current state also; my nexus 7 was unusable after a year. Your assertion isn't true for me and others however I am glad Blend is working well for your setup.
    Windows has a range of manufactures all with their individual pros and cons, if you want a durable windows laptop, you can find one, just personally find it easier to code on windows than mac especially since more programs are easily available..

Posted via CB10
    spikesolie likes this.
    10-17-14 04:17 AM
    Have tried that but still doesn't work. I get the pairing numbers so accept on both laptop and passport, it connects and says bringing up dashboard but then disconnects.

When I first start up blend, I get my Z10, Z30 and passport which is strange as it says all 3 are associated with my BlackBerry id. I've tried deleting them from blend and link but they still show up both in blend and link.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes my phone doesn't connect to my PC wirelessly and sometimes when I reload an OS it takes a few times to connect to my PC wired/wirelessly. I hate recommending reinstalling the OS because usually it just randomly works with time. But maybe at your stage you might have to :S

Does your passport hook up to link at all or does it just not work with blend? Maybe call BlackBerry (even though their customer service is much worse then any carrier support)
    10-17-14 07:55 AM
156 ... 34567