I have Blend loaded on my laptop.. just waiting for 10.3.1 so i can use it. Can't wait!!
    10-15-14 01:36 PM
    Sidesync is just screen sharing and doesn't work from separate networks so really it's nothing like blend.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 01:41 PM
    Sidesync is just screen sharing and doesn't work from separate networks so really it's nothing like blend.

Posted via CB10
    it works on Wifi, like I said Pros and Cons. It does have a lot of Pros over Blend. But they go about it in a different way. To most people like me, who always have their phone on them. The different network Con wouldn't have any effect, almost everywhere has wifi.
    10-15-14 01:46 PM
    I love it as much as I loved Bridge.
    10-15-14 01:46 PM
    it works on Wifi, like I said Pros and Cons. It does have a lot of Pros over Blend. But they go about it in a different way.
    I don't think you're getting it. All the products you mentioned require both the PC and the phone to be on either the same WiFi or a USB connection.

The point with Blend is that it connects over the public Internet, presumably through BlackBerry's NOC infrastructure. You could leave your phone charging at home and fly around the world and still be able to use Blend on your iPad at any WiFi hotspot.
    10-15-14 01:49 PM
    True, though I hate to think what that might do for both battery life and data usage. But, yes, in an emergency that could be useful indeed.
    I've been using it over the mobile network for about 2 weeks. If the device monitor is correct battery and data usage for Blend have been surprisingly minimal. To the point where I've started to think that it's partly lumped in with System, but I haven't noticed any out of the ordinary usage of the battery or data. That's over an 8+ hour work day, as I have no Wifi at work and never used the USB.

Now, everyone's usage is different but as far as I can tell I could leave Blend connected 24/7 and have no worries of battery or data usage. I do worry someone might be using my computer though...
    si001 and playboldbook like this.
    10-15-14 01:50 PM
    I don't think you're getting it. All the products you mentioned require both the PC and the phone to be on either the same WiFi or a USB connection.

The point with Blend is that it connects over the public Internet, presumably through BlackBerry's NOC infrastructure. You could leave your phone charging at home and fly around the world and still be able to use Blend on your iPad at any WiFi hotspot.
    Same as Airdroid and Mobizen. I can go 100,000 km away from my phone, on some random network and access my phone and it's apps.

This is why I intentionally split up the different solutions. I know SideSync and Handoff are a bit different, but they try to achieve the phone to computer interaction as well and that's why I said there are a lot of Pros and Cons versus Blend.

Jeez people come onnn
    10-15-14 01:51 PM
    Same as Airdroid and Mobizen. I can go 100,000 km away from my phone, on some random network and access my phone and it's apps.

This is why I intentionally split up the different solutions... Jeez people come onnn
    Sorry, kind of researching on the fly. Mobizen seems to require either the same network or USB, though granted Airdroid 2 does have some really cool features. My question would be a) how secure are either of these solutions and b) is there a performance hit?
    10-15-14 01:58 PM
    Sorry, kind of researching on the fly. Mobizen seems to require either the same network or USB, though granted Airdroid 2 does have some really cool features. My question would be a) how secure are either of these solutions and b) is there a performance hit?
    Like I said in the OP, "Blend is just a secure version of AirDroid 2 and Mobizen". I've been using AirDroid since 10.1 and it works 100% no performance hit. The only thing I don't like is that I can't use BBM since when I download or use BBM through the service I have to log off my BBM on my phone. (can't multi log)

Mobizen and AirDroid actually work the same. You can use any of your phone's app/ PIM on any computer/tablet or what ever. You can download a program/app for them or you can access it via web browser. Unlike Blend they do not have an iOS app though (they do have an OSX).

For app sharing Mobizen needs to be on Wifi or USB but when doing simple PIM things it can use any network. Example forgetting your phone at home, just log into your account on the web and text/call.

Mobizen

Air droid 2
    Last edited by khehl; 10-15-14 at 02:15 PM.
    10-15-14 02:00 PM
    Like I said in the OP, "Blend is just a secure version of AirDroid 2 and Mobizen". I've been using AirDroid since 10.1 and it works 100% no performance hit. The only thing I don't like is that there is no BBM.

Mobizen and AirDroid actually work the same. You can use any of your phone's app/ PIM on any computer/tablet or what ever. You can download a program/app for them or you can access it via web browser. Unlike Blend they do not have an iOS app though (they do have an OSX).

Mobizen

Air droid 2
    Conceivably, I guess you could use both Blend (strictly for messaging and file access) and Mobizen or Airdroid (for other apps). Theoretically, Blend should enjoy an advantage for messaging at the very least if only because it gets pretty much everything in one place.

I don't know much about the companies publishing either app, though, or what the revenue model is for either product. BB has its own infrastructure, and it looks like allowing BES users to use Blend for work will require a license upgrade, so they'll make money off it. If Mobizen and Airdroid are free, how are they maintaining the network they'd need to provide the service?
    10-15-14 02:16 PM
    Conceivably, I guess you could use both Blend (strictly for messaging and file access) and Mobizen or Airdroid (for other apps). Theoretically, Blend should enjoy an advantage for messaging at the very least if only because it gets pretty much everything in one place.

I don't know much about the companies publishing either app, though, or what the revenue model is for either product. BB has its own infrastructure, and it looks like allowing BES users to use Blend for work will require a license upgrade, so they'll make money off it. If Mobizen and Airdroid are free, how are they maintaining the network they'd need to provide the service?
    AirDroid: (no info on Mobizen since it's pretty new)
    Developing Minds Want to Know: Q&A with Sand Studio?s tech lead about AirDroid - Android app article - Brad Spirrison | Appolicious ? Android App Directory.
    Summary:
    Currently they have someone funding them and once they have the users, they think the business model will follow. Basically they get the users with free. Once hooked, start to charge. What I got from that is, that one day they might charge but as of now it's free.

I'm not hating on Blend don't worry, I love it. I just hope it's regularly updated like competition. Much like the HUB vs Acompli (for email) and Snowball (for notifications). BlackBerry just needs to know there is something like it out there and they need to keep innovating.
    10-15-14 02:20 PM
    They got asked in an interview and this was the interview Developing Minds Want to Know: Q&A with Sand Studio?s tech lead about AirDroid - Android app article - Brad Spirrison | Appolicious ? Android App Directory.

Summary:
    Basically currently they have someone funding them and once they have the users they think the business model will follow. So basically get the users with free, once hooked started charging. So don't be surprised if they do start charging down the line someday. ( not that, that is a bad thing.)

I'm not hating on Blend don't worry, I love it. I just hope it's regularly updated like competition. Much like the HUB vs Acompli (for email) and Snowball (for notifications). BlackBerry just needs to know there is something like it out there and they need to keep innovating.
    And I'm sorry I jumped on you so quickly. These apps are clearly in a similar space. I'm just in the process of installing Snap on my Passport to see how well they run. I'm curious now.
    10-15-14 02:24 PM
    And I'm sorry I jumped on you so quickly. These apps are clearly in a similar space. I'm just in the process of installing Snap on my Passport to see how well they run. I'm curious now.
    Also sorry for being a bit of a d*ck :P

Use Air Droid it's much better. Until you can get Blend working on your BB10 device that is. I've been using it, over a year and it's really great. (except for the BBM thing which I stated above) Note: this is for consumers not business users like Blend. Mobizen is hard to bypass the account thing but some how after many tries I got it.

I'm hard on BlackBerry as you may notice on these forums but I do know a lot about new tech and apps on all platforms. So, I like to compare and make lists so BlackBerry can get better.
    Last edited by khehl; 10-15-14 at 02:40 PM.
    10-15-14 02:30 PM
    Blend is awesome, I just used it to transfer a bunch of files to my Passport. Worked flawlessly. Responding to texts, BBMs, emails is a snap.
    10-15-14 02:40 PM
    Solutions like Blend have been around for a while...

Here is an old one for BBOS
    SOTI Pocket Controller-Pro for BlackBerry - BlackBerry World

What sets Blend apart is it is a trusted built in native solution that works very well. Albeit, every solution is different and has its pros and cons. Blend does deliver and appears to have room for other apps to be integrated into it. It's very simple to setup and use, and works very well. It's not just for business, it's a very good solution for all consumers.
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    10-15-14 02:41 PM
    Also sorry for being a bit of a d*ck :P

Use Air Droid it's much better. Until you can get Blend working on your BB10 device that is. I've been using it, over a year and it's really great. (except for the BBM thing which I stated above) Note: this is for consumers not business users like Blend. Mobizen is hard to bypass the account thing but some how after many tries I got it.

I'm hard on BlackBerry as you may notice on these forums but I do know a lot about new tech and apps on all platforms. So, I like to compare and make lists so BlackBerry can get better.
    I just got my Passport yesterday and I've already used Blend on a PC and an uber-cheap Acer Android tablet. Not perfect, but very usable nonetheless and I would assume they're rolling this out very carefully and dealing with glitches as they arise before a wider release to all BB10 users.

I guess at that point the question becomes: what's available on Windows Phone?
    10-15-14 02:49 PM
    Blend works across different networks for me. Yay! Non-work and work networks can now be joined via Blend. Now, if only it will also work like Bridge... let me browse the internet from the laptop while USB connected to the Passport when on the road, please!!!! I can do this with the Playbook and Bridge, please let me do the same with laptop/tablet and Blend.
    The ability of the phone to create a mobile hotspot negates the need for this. Blend will work through the hotspot also.

For some strange reason at my university, could just be a routing issue, my laptop isn't able to sync with my Passport in Blend except when wired... both on the same wifi or even with the laptop on the wifi and phone on data... :/
    I was worried that an overly restrictive firewall or network security would cripple Blend. When we had Wifi at work I couldn't use it with my BB10 phone as it would block the BB services and BBM. Giving me a limited connection error. I haven't had an issue with Blend, but I was worried that I would and imagine that some will.

I just got my Passport yesterday and I've already used Blend on a PC and an uber-cheap Acer Android tablet. Not perfect, but very usable nonetheless and I would assume they're rolling this out very carefully and dealing with glitches as they arise before a wider release to all BB10 users.
    I think BlackBerry has been very careful. I believe they were sure it works as good as it does before releasing it. It's one of those things that would have quickly flopped if it wasn't perfect.
    10-15-14 02:54 PM
    So -- does Airdroid or Mobizen work on the Playbook? Would either of these allow my Playbook to be a dumb tablet powered by my phone's apps.

Also, if I understand right - these apps would allow a Windows or Android tablet to connect to my BB10 phone, display the apps on my phone on the tablet.

Is this correct - My Playbook is showing its age and I am considering probably a Dell Venue Pro for later this year. In my business, having a stylus would be helpful.
    10-15-14 03:00 PM

I guess at that point the question becomes: what's available on Windows Phone?
    With Win10 there will be a handoff like feature but as of now there is nothing. They completely dropped the ball on phone to computer interaction. Even though Nadella wants "One" type integration with all Win devices.

I can't seeing the Win10 Notification Centre being anything close to as good as OSX Handoff notifications because the infrastructure of OSX is much like headless apps. OSX handles notifications the best out of any other solution (that is it's biggest Pro over competition).

Microsoft could be the king with all their services but it would be hard since the company is so fragmented.

So to answer your question, WP8 is the only OS to not have a computer to device type solution. I'm surprised Google doesn't either. You would think both Microsoft and Google would have this in the bag. At least Google has amazing Devs to save their a*ses
    Last edited by khehl; 10-15-14 at 03:21 PM.
    10-15-14 03:00 PM
    Damn,.. airdroid seems to be completely browser based. Blend would be useful to me if it didn't require the installed client and a bunch of firewall exceptions,.. neither of which I can do on my work computer (where I spend 11 hours a day).

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 03:42 PM
    Accessing the Passport using the Z30s browser.

Why couldn't they make a Web client for Blend?!?

Wow, does Blend rock-img_20141015_164925.png

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 03:50 PM
    It can even access the camera on the Passport...

Damn,.. Blend kinda sucks.

Wow, does Blend rock-img_20141015_165618.png

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 03:57 PM
    Accessing the Passport using the Z30s browser.

Why couldn't they make a Web client for Blend?!?
    Rumor is that the Blend software is nothing more then a browser window. If that's true I believe the reason there is separate software is for diagnostics and testing as the Blend software has the ability to export logs. Really, considering that it works across networks it kinda makes sense that they would incorporate the ability to properly diagnose problems from the start. It's quite possible that once they figure they have a stable and iron tight solution it will be moved to the browser.

Exactly, how does using the camera remotely really help? That is unless you figure you can catch a picture of a thief or something. And, how well does it work when being used on separate networks across the internet, the camera that is.
    10-15-14 04:03 PM
    Rumor is that the Blend software is nothing more then a browser window. If that's true I believe the reason there is separate software is for diagnostics and testing as the Blend software has the ability to export logs. Really, considering that it works across networks it kinda makes sense that they would incorporate the ability to properly diagnose problems from the start. It's quite possible that once they figure they have a stable and iron tight solution it will be moved to the browser.

Exactly, how does using the camera remotely really help? That is unless you figure you can catch a picture of a thief or something. And, how well does it work when being used on separate networks across the internet.
    I hope those rumors are true.

I don't really know, but I tapped on the icon and it worked lol. Of course one good use would be to carry out a BBM video conversation on the host computer using your device as a webcam of sorts.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 04:09 PM
    So you mean to say after blend arrives to all the devices BlackBerry link will be discontinued?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 04:19 PM
156 ... 23456 ...