I mean forget android and google etc. And all the security issues too. Just a passport with some updated specs running the latest bb10. I might bet there is a good market... not huge, but enough. What do you think? I don't mean to be retro. I just think a market exists for those who just want privacy at the limit.
    09-29-18 04:24 AM
    09-29-18 04:33 AM
    No.
    I like definitive views!
    09-29-18 04:44 AM
    Topic has been discussed ad nauseam. Search the forums.
    09-29-18 04:59 AM
    Just buy a KEY2 or KEY2 LE to hope that BBMo survives and keeps making keyboard devices
    09-29-18 05:37 PM
    I mean forget android and google etc. And all the security issues too. Just a passport with some updated specs running the latest bb10. I might bet there is a good market... not huge, but enough. What do you think? I don't mean to be retro. I just think a market exists for those who just want privacy at the limit.
    Go for it if you believe in your idea. Round up some funding. Sign an OEM agreement with BlackBerry and make your idea happen. Only way to make this happen.
    09-29-18 06:26 PM
    You're looking at 1-2 billion dollars and 2 years to rebuild BB10 for modern hardware, and to strip out the Android Runtime (which is required for OHA compliance).
    Last edited by conite; 09-30-18 at 07:11 AM.
    09-29-18 06:40 PM
    Sure a market exists, but it’s so tiny as to not be cost effective to serve in any viable manner. As others have suggested, the idea has been thoroughly discussed numerous times. How do you suggest it would happen? Your business argument, if you will?
    09-29-18 06:46 PM
    I get that all this has been discussed before... sorry for the re-imposition. I am sure the CrackBerry nation has moved on. I am just thinking that when the world of 7 billion people all have at least one smartphone the google and apple business models will not suit some, and those who want absolute security and privacy. A full upfront user pay model for selected features such as email, maps, browser, chat, cloud could function. So the business model is full user pay basis. No one fixed OEMs, an e-sim could allow one to buy the cheapest option. TCL could do all this via a licence with BlackBerry for bb10 and a base passport model. of course I know I am dreaming...
    Qorax likes this.
    09-30-18 04:26 AM
    I get that all this has been discussed before... sorry for the re-imposition. I am sure the CrackBerry nation has moved on. I am just thinking that when the world of 7 billion people all have at least one smartphone the google and apple business models will not suit some, and those who want absolute security and privacy. A full upfront user pay model for selected features such as email, maps, browser, chat, cloud could function. So the business model is full user pay basis. No one fixed OEMs, an e-sim could allow one to buy the cheapest option. TCL could do all this via a licence with BlackBerry for bb10 and a base passport model. of course I know I am dreaming...
    You're ignoring the sheer magnitude of the investment required.

More importantly, you're also ignoring the use of paragraphs.
    09-30-18 07:13 AM
    You're ignoring the sheer magnitude of the investment required.

More importantly, you're also ignoring the use of paragraphs.
    It's what dreamers do - on both counts. :-)
    09-30-18 08:56 AM
    You contradict yourself within a garbled strategy.
    09-30-18 09:07 AM
    You contradict yourself within a garbled strategy.
    Maybe so. Certainly not a well thought out nor complete strategy. I am not a market analyst nor strategist. There appears to be a market for only two business models, one hardware centred and one information centred. The privacy market is two expensive to effect despite all recent evidence. The forums have been through this... I just wonder if it will change.
    09-30-18 09:29 AM
    Maybe so. Certainly not a well thought out nor complete strategy. I am not a market analyst nor strategist. There appears to be a market for only two business models, one hardware centred and one information centred. The privacy market is two expensive to effect despite all recent evidence. The forums have been through this... I just wonder if it will change.
    Nope. It’s just like the non-mobile OS with Apple/Microsoft. Even if something changes, it belongs to Apple/Google/Microsoft because they have the economic resources.
    09-30-18 09:35 AM
    You are right.... only a market for the two entrenched platforms. And security has always been a tough sell to the consumer market.

BB10 failed, the number weren't there.
    09-30-18 10:16 AM
    Nope. It’s just like the non-mobile OS with Apple/Microsoft. Even if something changes, it belongs to Apple/Google/Microsoft because they have the economic resources.
    I'm not certain. Industrial kings and queens have always been dethroned. The big surprise to me so far is that China and India have completely embraced android. Arguably China doesn't need or want Google services and an "executive" decision could disrupt the economics there in a flash. Certainly no one in the rich West would buy a China OS, but I can't see China relying on a Western software forever. What do I know really...
    09-30-18 10:18 AM
    I'm not certain. Industrial kings and queens have always been dethroned. The big surprise to me so far is that China and India have completely embraced android. Arguably China doesn't need or want Google services and an "executive" decision could disrupt the economics there in a flash. Certainly no one in the rich West would buy a China OS, but I can't see China relying on a Western software forever. What do I know really...
    China and India are really just exercising the axiom of “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.”
    09-30-18 10:22 AM
    China and India are really just exercising the axiom of “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.”
    If figure China already essentially has enough control of influence over anything/everything tech/hardware related, so they're happy enough the way things are for now.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    09-30-18 10:32 AM
    If figure China already essentially has enough control of influence over anything/everything tech/hardware related, so they're happy enough the way things are for now.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Something like that. Of course, to me it’s simple. What easier way to infiltrate your competition? If everyone is using a common language, it’s easier to sneak in.
    09-30-18 10:37 AM
    All logistics aside, Yep, I would love a Passport II with a BlackBerry OS. I think as google gets more intrusive (or maybe it's gets caught being intrusive) it will sound better. In the meantime I love my Key2 and just don't put a ton of stuff on it. And I don't use google apps when there is an option or a way to work around. The Key2 really is an awesome phone.
    09-30-18 11:17 PM
    If you believe in this project take the lead and make it happen. TCL has already stated they have zero interest in BB10. BlackBerry Limited has said Since 2013 they are interested in licensing BB10. If you truly believe there is a market for BB10 then you and a few who believe in BB10 should license BB10 and build phones.

People here post like BlackBerry Limited is watching these forums looking for a viable way to get back into the phone business. They are not and have zero interest in spending money on BB10. As stated above they are interested in licensing BB10. So go for it, create a business and make your idea happen.
    10-01-18 12:24 AM
    It's what dreamers do - on both counts. :-)
    Successful dreamers make their dreams into reality.
    10-01-18 12:26 AM
    Successful dreamers make their dreams into reality.
    There is a fine line between a dreamer and someone unable to process reality.

Think Elon Musk might be one that stepped over that line...
    If John Chen suggested that they invest a billion dollars or more into BB10... he'd be seen the same way.
    10-01-18 09:43 AM
    You are right.... only a market for the two entrenched platforms. And security has always been a tough sell to the consumer market.

BB10 failed, the number weren't there.
    I'm not sure there's any real evidence that BB10 without BES was any more secure that iOS. Privacy may be another concern but I think iOS still handles mainstream consumer privacy better than Google. I think that the part of the market that was concerned about security, iOS proved to be secure enough. I think the market that does exist for what you want is one that wants something more secure than stock Android but is less expensive than iOS, which is what the Blackberry Androids are trying to accomplish, along with those that want PKB.
    10-01-18 10:34 AM
    All that's needed is an updated Android with access to Google services, so someone who (a) gathers enough faithful who (b) are willing to pay for this, say $100 USD and (c ) delivers. It's not like going to Mars. The pitch is that some of use are perfectly happy with our device and don't want to downgrade to a keyboard-less phone.

I would even recycle the design for specific industries, like doctors, dentists and the like.

But it's not going to happen, it's easier to pitch "new android slab with latest processor".
    10-01-18 10:34 AM
65 123