I don't own a passport but I think BlackBerry would have been in a totally different place if it didn't improve on android apps like they did with 10.3.1...
    I use it for the streaming apps like DI radio and soundcloud. I also use it to run my university apps. They only build for android (not even IOS) so basically I have more functionality than an iPhone user in this regard...

I bought an android tab to fill out these gaps before 10.3.1 but once it was released I must say I use the android toy a lot less.. so yeah android support is essential

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 09:08 AM
    To me the android play time is a selling point. I think I may not have brought a Balckberry if this feature wasnt present as I loved my blackberry 9800 but was sick of the lack of apps and everyone have apps that I wanted to use so easily. Im already limited with the number of android apps that I can actually get working but it is enough. Without it I would have to utilise another operating system so that I could have access to more apps even though I love Blackberry phones so much but I need some apps that arent on BBworld. There are some work abouts like using the browser but in 2015 I dont expect this. I was sick of having to do workabouts to get the blackberry torch to do what I want but even that was limited. If I had some say within Blackberry this is my choice regarding the future of the android player. Blackberry improve android runtime> Blackberry dont change the android runtime but keep it in the OS>Blackberry remove Android runtime
    05-29-15 11:18 AM
    I wonder if folks who keep saying "yes" understand that many of the apps on the BB World Store are 'in fact' Android ports - only made possible by the Android Runtime, and are not native BB 'Cascades' apps? Maybe OP does not know this either. Many apps Passport users call BB apps are essentially Android apks, converted to bar files to load on BB World.

Also, so many here say 'yes' I only use 1 or 2 Android apps, but I don't "need" them. I don't buy it. If an app is consistently falling short of your expectations or is unavailable, so that you load an app from another source to fill that need, it would not take very long before frustration set in. In fact, most longtime BB users would argue this is part of the great migration of BB during the BB OS6/ OS7 years, when everything seemed to get an app and every app was available for other platforms and not BB.
    cbosdell and kbz1960 like this.
    05-29-15 12:09 PM
    I would. I don't have any android apps on mine. Some apps I do have are Android ports, but all were downloaded from Blackberry World.
    05-29-15 12:29 PM
    I bought it because it runs android apps. It would be a game breaker for me
    05-29-15 01:59 PM
    In a heartbeat

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 02:09 PM
    Maybe, but having them makes it a lot easier decision. Especially for the banking apps. BBW sorely lacking on bank and financial apps. I've been a long time BlackBerry user, but honestly was just about to jump ship due to the apps. Many I use for business and personal were just not there and it was becoming annoying. Then I found out how to sideload the Android apps, and then the Amazon store, 1Mobile Market, Snap and it became a non issue. Why BlackBerry doesn't buy Snap and make it a permanent part of the phone, and hype the crap out of the fact that BlackBerry can run most Android apps too, is beyond me...

I <3 NY!
    05-29-15 04:59 PM
    I'm honestly not sure if I would have gotten the Passport or not without the Android runtime. I'm not a fan of Android at all but there are a dozen or so apps I use on a daily basis on my Passport that aren't natively available for BB10. I'd like to think I'd make it work somehow but realistically probably not.
    05-29-15 05:21 PM
    Absofreakinglutly. I only use about three snap adroid apps and they are not exactly necessary. I could spend about and hour and get rid of one of them for good. The other two I could just use a computer.

In amazon store I have five and four are almost never used and could be replaced. The only android app that I would miss is sirius xm radio. Still I could remedy over 70 Percent of the sirius need with a work around.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 07:39 PM
    Yes.

I have no use for any Android crap.

Posted via CB10
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    05-29-15 09:07 PM
    Yes. I always get crap from my coworkers for having probably the only blackberry in the company, but I bought it as a tool for productivity, not a toy to play with. I will stick with my passport until it bites the dust and will stay with BlackBerry forever.

Posted via CB10
    lol nice first post!
    05-29-15 09:10 PM
    Another question would be "Would you still buy Android devices if ALL those apps / games available in Playstore are also in BlackBerry World?"

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 12:58 AM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 06:52 AM
    I wonder if folks who keep saying "yes" understand that many of the apps on the BB World Store are 'in fact' Android ports - only made possible by the Android Runtime, and are not native BB 'Cascades' apps? Maybe OP does not know this either. Many apps Passport users call BB apps are essentially Android apks, converted to bar files to load on BB World.

Also, so many here say 'yes' I only use 1 or 2 Android apps, but I don't "need" them. I don't buy it. If an app is consistently falling short of your expectations or is unavailable, so that you load an app from another source to fill that need, it would not take very long before frustration set in. In fact, most longtime BB users would argue this is part of the great migration of BB during the BB OS6/ OS7 years, when everything seemed to get an app and every app was available for other platforms and not BB.
    I am not sure whether I am the minority, I use only very few apps, and could use the phone on stock because it has bundled most apps that I need on it like Box, Dropbox, and Evernote. The only critical app that I installed separately is Whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 07:01 AM
    Definately, I do try to actively avoid Android apps

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 08:41 AM
    Yes but would have been a more difficult decision, especially since BlackBerry World is missing a few Apps that I use daily.

Posted from my Kick@ss AT&T Passport.
    06-01-15 06:24 PM
    That's a tough call for me, perhaps no I wouldn't. I say this because where I live, I couldn't locate a local BlackBerry dealer. There wasn't a way to get hands on to see what it could do. It was that I had just purchased a Z30 and understood what BB10 could do and I wouldn't have bought the Z30 either without Android. But I lean towards saying, without Android Apps then I probably wouldn't have gotten the Z30 therefore wouldn't have bought a Passport.
    06-01-15 07:20 PM
    Yes, of course ..
    06-01-15 08:14 PM
    Not a chance...
    06-01-15 09:28 PM
    YES!
    I don't use Android apps.
    06-01-15 10:12 PM
    Have just a few android apps, so: yes

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 01:54 AM
    Definitely. The Android apps are merely a bonus.
    06-02-15 02:00 AM
    Other than some Bank apps, I'm fine.
    I've got fair few other Android apps installed too but don't use them anymore.

Posted via CB10 using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    06-02-15 02:41 AM
    Yes! Buy them, collect them, trade them with your friends.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 04:36 PM
    I would like BlackBerry to remove the Android runtime. It would greatly improve performance of our device and it would force developers to build native applications.

Also, by now we can build our apps against Qt and it can be compiled natively for each mobile platforms without changing a single line of code.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 05:27 PM
275 ... 34567 ...