I would like BlackBerry to remove the Android runtime. It would greatly improve performance of our device and it would force developers to build native applications.

Also, by now we can build our apps against Qt and it can be compiled natively for each mobile platforms without changing a single line of code.

Posted via CB10
    Good thought, but we haven't seen much improvement on the topic over the last few years. Maybe if they sold to Samsung or Microsoft though.

Samsung QNX 10.10
    Microsoft QNX 10.10
    Or
    A. Blackberry/Tesla partnership

Don't get me wrong, I would love BlackBerry to grow.

Bottom line; start developing

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 09:02 PM
    Good thought, but we haven't seen much improvement on the topic over the last few years. Maybe if they sold to Samsung or Microsoft though.

Samsung QNX 10.10
    Microsoft QNX 10.10
    Or
    A. Blackberry/Tesla partnership

Don't get me wrong, I would love BlackBerry to grow.

Bottom line; start developing

Posted via CB10
    True but having developed for pretty much every platforms, it is with BlackBerry that I am enjoying the more. If only Momentics IDE was better, it would be perfect

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 09:23 PM
    Yes! Got it for productivity and because it is unique not for the APPs
    06-03-15 10:33 AM
    Yes! Got it for productivity and because it is unique not for the APPs
    I'm sorry, I like both
    06-03-15 11:56 AM
    Absolutely.
    07-07-15 10:03 AM
    Android apps weren't part of my consideration for my Passport at all.

Via my Red Passport
    07-07-15 10:40 AM
    Probably not. I'm not saying that the apps are so important that I can't live without them. But then apps never were about necessity, they were about choice and freedom.

Apps give you the ability and freedom to completely transform and customize your cell phone experience and that's fun, refreshing and quite frankly at times very useful. But most importantly it is personal and intimate. Nobody wants exactly the same phone...being able to customize your phone with your apps makes that phone yours and nobody else's.

BB was right to get on app train. Apps aren't a fad, they're an integral part of the mobile experience now.
    07-07-15 10:45 AM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 03:02 PM
    I would like BlackBerry to remove the Android runtime. It would greatly improve performance of our device and it would force developers to build native applications.

Also, by now we can build our apps against Qt and it can be compiled natively for each mobile platforms without changing a single line of code.

Posted via CB10
    Someone should pose this question to JC to get his thoughts on this. I'm for it.

Posted via CB.10 on my  Z10
    James St-Pierre likes this.
    07-07-15 03:34 PM
    It would kinda suck because of not having Google Maps and TuneIn, but I'd deal with it.
    07-07-15 04:17 PM
    Yes. Dont have any now and dont plan on installing any.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 05:07 PM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 05:42 PM
    Dumb question.

Brought to you by...My sweet Passport
    07-08-15 11:48 AM
    No, I need at least some Android apps. I am OK with the BBW version too. Without runtime BlackBerry would be a non starter for both consumers and enterprise. Perhaps the hypervisor will give you a choice of OS.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 12:07 PM
    I don't even use the Android app store or any Android apps, got like 100+ native apps and use about 10 on a regular base. The moment I see an app with permissions I can't change it will not be installed. So, to answer your question, yes, I'll buy a BlackBerry for its own advantages.

CB10 - Passport
    Last edited by Mo Cat; 07-08-15 at 12:46 PM.
    07-08-15 12:12 PM
    That's assuming they bought it because of Android apps.

People do not buy BlackBerry devices because of Android apps. That's either a bonus or a nuisance. NOT a selling point.

And specially not for the Passport.
    This is wrong. This does not ''assume people buy because of Android apps''.
    No matter how much some people liike the Passport, they may have Android apps that are essential.

For me, I have multiple work apps I use. I could get by without them, and did on my z10 but for many, Android app capability is what allows them to use BlackBerry 10 phones.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 01:25 PM
    I won't pretend that the Android app compatibility doesn't make the Passport more attractive, but yes, I still would have bought it.

The vast majority of stuff I use is native BB10, but I'll admit that the ability to run Android apps (and run them VERY well in my experience) has been pretty handy.
    This sums up my experience. There isn't a single android app that is absolutely needed, yet several, including works apps make it so much better.
    For instance, I am a field technician and as I often need to get signed work orders, the old method was to print out a sheet, get it signed and fax it in. I can still do that, but one app allows me to take the signature in the app directly. The app also does things that used to require me to log into the desktop site.

So, while there are no deal breakers for me, and I would have gotten it anyway, at this point it would be difficult to go back.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 01:33 PM
    No.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 02:36 PM
    A tough one to answer considering ability to use android apps was available way before the passport. It is a complimentary feature of BB10..so if it was not available, where would BB10 be?...who knows..what I do know is that I (and a lot of BB users) like the option of loading android apps in to bridge the app gap in BB world...ideally we would like apps to developed for BB10...but that's another painful story not worth getting into...

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 02:47 PM
    Yes, I would. I don't like too many apps cluttering up the screen. I can never find the one I want quickly of I have to thumb the screen 3-4 times just to hunt for the one I want. I intend to use my Passport for BB only business related apps that are truly compatible with this device (and to stop battery drainage, which I read can be problematic when running non-Snap apps, and I use it for essential work related activities. For recreational films on the go or book reading the Kindle Android app will remain confined to my cheapo Lenovo 10 inch tablet, which is still my preferred choice for bulk reading materials like books and papers because of the screen size.
    07-08-15 03:19 PM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 03:27 PM
    Most apps are serious garbage.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 03:29 PM
    Honestly didn't even know android apps were working on it !!!

I'm just a stupid blackberry die hard fan !!! Just can't change.
    And this phone has put it to another level

I've found what suits me the most

I'm in love...with a phone

White Passport via CB10
    07-08-15 03:47 PM
    For all Passport users: Would you still buy Passport if it didn't have any Android apps?

Posted via CB10
    No.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 04:11 PM
    This is wrong.
    Oh sure, you bought the Passport ONLY AND SPECIALLY because it ran android apps.

It was the reason you got it. It had nothing to so with ANYTHING else the device, the OS or other features.

It's a nice bonus. Itt's good to have. It makes things easier.

But it is not the top selling feature.
    07-08-15 09:16 PM
275 ... 45678 ...