07-10-16 04:50 AM
176 ... 5678
tools
    You made me laugh sir, very few forum posts do that.
    considering your avatar, you would assume all forums posts do that.
    07-06-15 09:41 AM
    considering your avatar, you would assume all forums posts do that.
    I don't assume things about myself. Can I assume you're a talking speaker?
    07-06-15 09:57 AM
    It's about making BlackBerry available for Android markets also enterprises will have the option of choosing the BlackBerry brand known for it's security is that a bad thing?

Posted via CB10
    Of course not, but they've already tried something similar with the Z3. I'm not sure but I believe the security for Blackberrys is a combination of the bbos and security being baked into the hardware. Not sure if you could do this with Google OS. In any event hasn't BlackBerry looked into this option by working with Samsung on their Knox project?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 10:56 AM
    No

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 12:15 PM
    Yes. I personally like android almost as much as BB10

Posted via my Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    07-06-15 12:30 PM
    It's about making BlackBerry available for Android markets also enterprises will have the option of choosing the BlackBerry brand known for it's security is that a bad thing?

Posted via CB10
    Smokin' much?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 12:38 PM
    If they can make it a hybrid OS that is bb10 with android on top of it then I'm good with that. I just don't want to see a blackberry device with an android OS on it like HTC for example. That would be a no-go for me.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 03:56 PM
    I don't assume things about myself. Can I assume you're a talking speaker?
    let me rephrase it then. judging by your avatar, one would assume you find all things funny.
    07-06-15 05:09 PM
    No, I'd rather go for the slider.
    Android was just not designed for a square screen.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 05:50 PM
    Nope, changing my mind, but I would buy an Android running BB10 OS.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 05:58 PM
    I never found this argument to hold any weight. I fully switched to BlackBerry in January, and yes, I could just as well get by without installing a single Android app. I don't "need" any, but when there are certain apps like PocketCasts (my favorite podcast app), Quizlet (flashcard app I use all the time to study), Spotify, Amazon (for shopping), TeamViewer (the RDS client I use), and others that enhance my life and work flow, why would I not use them? Just to say I'm a BlackBerry purist? They will never be built natively for BlackBerry.

You don't want Google on your phone, but there's a good chance you use Google search, don't browse the internet privately, etc, etc, etc.

Funny you call Windows and iOS users mobs, but then you mention how you exclusively use Linux. I dual boot Linux as well, and I'd say Linux boards and users can be quite a bit more mob-like than their counterparts.
    For most of these apps, there are alternatives that do not require sharing your data with Google.

I stopped dual-booting Windows and Linux in the mid 2000's when Microsoft started updating the OS automatically.
    I avoid Google search as much as I can.
    I don't use Spotify. I prefer owning my music.
    Teamviewer does not do X11 forwarding, so it is of little use for me since I cannot run my IC design program remotely on my cellphone when I travel. That's the only thing I miss compared to a laptop.
    I know there is an android app that does that, but I don't want to use it.
    I used "mob" more like "crowd".
    I prefer to use the third OS. Far fewer intruders.

All I want from my Passport is to use it as my Linux laptop minus the weight and size. If I need a larger screen, I connect to my HDMI monitor.

I don't have apps on my laptop, so it should be possible.

Apps are mostly developed to collect and sell your data.

In my opinion, the phone and OS manufacturer should develop all utilities and pre install them in the OS, just as they do (used to do) on PCs.
    A smartphone today should do everything a laptop of 5 years ago did + be a phone.
    ALL media should be playable in the browser. Should not need any apps for that. It's possible.

All these apps are just programs by any other name, only far less secure and much more intrusive, and, of course, less capable than the corresponding program (see the office suite for example).

What is new in smartphones, as opposed to laptops and PC's, are the sensors that allow for new programs and functions to be implemented.
    However, the user should have total control of the sensor data that an app collects and be able to deny the app to collect and/or transfer that data from the phone. We are not animals in a zoo or cows in a pasture to be monitored all the time by Google.

Google and Android exist to acquire and to sell your data.
    This is the reason why I would not buy a phone running Android and this is why I avoid android apps, as much as I can.
    It may be a losing battle, but it is worth fighting for.
    Last edited by sorinv; 07-06-15 at 07:00 PM.
    scorepion and gugomat like this.
    07-06-15 06:16 PM
    NO!! I only use two OS
    1. Blackberry
    2. iOS

I don't need Android.

iPhone 5 16GB Black
    07-06-15 08:55 PM
    No, I would not.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 09:08 PM
    No!

Posted via CB10
    07-03-16 11:04 PM
    Nope!

Posted via CB10
    07-03-16 11:31 PM
    No way
    07-03-16 11:31 PM
    NEVER !!!
    07-04-16 07:12 AM
    & so comes Mercury... looks like a kinda priv stuck slider open or a squished passport with 4row KB... android it is...
    07-04-16 07:19 AM
    My data is worthless so I don't care... if I had anything of value, I certainly wouldn't put it on a phone...
    For most of these apps, there are alternatives that do not require sharing your data with Google.

I stopped dual-booting Windows and Linux in the mid 2000's when Microsoft started updating the OS automatically.
    I avoid Google search as much as I can.
    I don't use Spotify. I prefer owning my music.
    Teamviewer does not do X11 forwarding, so it is of little use for me since I cannot run my IC design program remotely on my cellphone when I travel. That's the only thing I miss compared to a laptop.
    I know there is an android app that does that, but I don't want to use it.
    I used "mob" more like "crowd".
    I prefer to use the third OS. Far fewer intruders.

All I want from my Passport is to use it as my Linux laptop minus the weight and size. If I need a larger screen, I connect to my HDMI monitor.

I don't have apps on my laptop, so it should be possible.

Apps are mostly developed to collect and sell your data.

In my opinion, the phone and OS manufacturer should develop all utilities and pre install them in the OS, just as they do (used to do) on PCs.
    A smartphone today should do everything a laptop of 5 years ago did + be a phone.
    ALL media should be playable in the browser. Should not need any apps for that. It's possible.

All these apps are just programs by any other name, only far less secure and much more intrusive, and, of course, less capable than the corresponding program (see the office suite for example).

What is new in smartphones, as opposed to laptops and PC's, are the sensors that allow for new programs and functions to be implemented.
    However, the user should have total control of the sensor data that an app collects and be able to deny the app to collect and/or transfer that data from the phone. We are not animals in a zoo or cows in a pasture to be monitored all the time by Google.

Google and Android exist to acquire and to sell your data.
    This is the reason why I would not buy a phone running Android and this is why I avoid android apps, as much as I can.
    It may be a losing battle, but it is worth fighting for.
    07-04-16 07:23 AM
    Never!

Posted via CB10
    07-04-16 07:43 AM
    Im practically already running Android on my Passport because there are hardly any native OS10 apps that are useable. WhatsApp is EOL at the end of the year as well. That and the fact they already released an android device, you can just wait for the total conversion to happen somewhere along the line.

So why not?

Apple is not an option with their abhorrent business model that is very anti consumer, so there's just one choice left sadly.
    07-04-16 02:37 PM
    After much thought.. why not right! What's with all the negativity. It'll be unique although one thing would be annoying, rendering apps on a 1:1 square screen hahaha.

 Power of QNX
    07-05-16 02:06 AM
    If there will be a passport running on android YES. I spoke to a friend who switch from a z30 to a priv and she very pleased with the andriod because of the APPs. And now a day is just a part of life (eco systeem)
    07-05-16 03:48 AM
    Not if the Hub and gestures and not made similar to bb10 I will always feel like it's a step back. The productivity of a bb10 device is huge. For me I only use a few apps that I can get and work fine. It's other things (battery, build, hub and work flow) that drives my decision.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 07:27 AM
    Yup I would go for that. A great keyboard and access to all the apps I currently have to go without...

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 07:44 AM
176 ... 5678