Never

From my Jamaican Passport.
    extisis likes this.
    07-04-15 11:11 PM
    No

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    07-04-15 11:27 PM
    Would that it could be that simple. Google themselves would have to rewrite the rules for the Open Handset Alliance for that to work.

Even worse, by the current rules of the OHA (which manufacturers need to follow to get GPLAY access for their devices), BlackBerry would have to either remove Android compatibility from BB10 or stop making it completely.

I'd love for BlackBerry and Google to work something out on this, but it's really Google's call to make and there is little benefit to them.

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    This is quite possible to happen given the current situation of BlackBerry.

But again, I wouldn't blame the CEO for making such decision - especially if it will bring profit to the company. Somehow BlackBerry need to evolve to survive - even it meant of changing their whole product lines. They missed the opportunity to attract those developers of famous and commonly used apps / games to make their products available in BB10 OS version. They lost a lot of money by not investing on apps / games. They stick and trying to convince users / consumers / prosumers that they don't need apps / games. They failed to be relevance on the current demands. Now, they have to do drastic experimental strategic business just to survive.

Poor management's vision, prioritisation and strategy...

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 11:33 PM
    If it had the hub and a great camera, YES!!

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 11:38 PM
    Except that's not the case unless BlackBerry simply throws stock Android on the device with no security implementations or OS tweaks. At the very least, BlackBerry will add security enhancements and Hub integration so no, Google won't be pushing OTA updates to the devices; BlackBerry will once they receive updates from Google and add their own **** on top.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    sounds like a total mess.
    07-05-15 12:18 AM
    Why would I want a BlackBerry android device? I have a huge range of phones to choose from. That is unless BlackBerry does something really good with Android customizations.

Passport, SQW 100-1, 10.3.2.440
    no matter how you cut it, it will always be an android
    07-05-15 12:20 AM
    It's face it no body here has any authority to stop BlackBerry from making any business decisions that is beneficial or not.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 03:36 AM
    Yes, I will.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 03:57 AM
    Yes. I'll buy one.

Btw.. anybody have an idea what this long composition is about?

Despite the denials I have been seeing here on CB, its pretty much a given at this point that BBRY will be releasing an android berry. It is not a question of IF they will but rather WHEN they will announce the android phones.

Logically speaking, they have to dot the Is and cross the Ts behind the scenes. This release will significantly impact the ecosystem, because if you thought the introduction of the android runtime screwed over native developers, then this is going to be a decisive blow to them. I am sure they are just working out the kinks and details and maybe working out a framework for interoperability of apps and easy porting. I have heard from buddies working in BBRY that the passport android device was definitely being field tested but have not heard anything about the slider, so my money is on them going with an android passport first, to really solidify their enterprise base.

If you actually think about, this move to release an android device makes perfect sense, especially if you consider the direction that BBRY has been taking recently such as their renewed focus on IOT, MDM and their strong commitment to Enterprise. Despite what many say, many workplaces are either dropping blackberries in lieu of android/iOS devices, or going BYOD, which brings about the same result unfortunately.

By releasing an android device, secured by blackberry, they can target specific sectors that heavily rely on specialized apps but are in need of security that blackberry is world renowned for. This would give companies an incentive for looking at Blackberry devices again for enterprise imo.

When I was doing my clinical rotations as a medical student, I relied heavily on a number of apps, which at that time was iOS specific. Nowadays those apps have come to android as well. Using a blackberry in those situations would have been a no go.

For residency training these days, residents at most programs are automatically given subscriptions to major medical databases and guides such as uptodate and Prescription guidelines, that are crucial on the wards and need to be consulted at a moments notice. Utilizing the runtime to use these android apps on BB10 devices for these scenarios would be a recipe for disaster, because of the eventual app crashes that will happen.

So in what seems like a genius move, BBRY will have a better shot at deploying with more health networks now. More places will be willing to give the droid berry a chance because a) specialized app availability b) phone is still secured by BBRY, who are still considered the undisputed champs in this regard, whereas before these health networks might have given BBRY the cold shoulder.

From a professional user's perspective, this strategy looks to be a good compromise between not having a BlackBerry phone at all, and being stuck with an android phone or iPhone. Nothing against those phones, in fact I am a former iPhone user of many years who transitioned to a 9900 on a whim, then switched to BB10 because I became a fan of sorts. I would characterize my experiences in using BB10 phones as a love and hate relationship. I love BB10 phones for their general reliability, good battery life (except on the Z10 lol that would only last me 4-5 hours) and good reception at hospitals, sometimes even in elevators and deep inside buildings. The attachment view makes it a cinch to pull up reports and imaging from past correspondences and so that saves me the hassle of having to go hunting for it.

Lastly, from a social perspective, the HUB keeps me very organized. I find it quite easy to engage in several conversations at once across not just one or two, but SEVERAL apps, all thanks to the HUB and BB10 multitasking. I would have conversations happening across WeChat + Whatsapp Groups + BBM + Facebook messenger/texting for girlfriend, often at the same time. Most of all, I love that when I am busy working, one glance at my Z30 is all it takes to know whats going on, specifically using peak and flow, as I really don't have time to go through each individual app. If they can replicate this ease of peak/flow and the convenience that the HUB offers, I will use the droid berry as my only phone, no questions asked. Otherwise I will get a classic for my personal use and relegate droid berry for work purposes only.

Android has a reputation for laggy and slow performance, and part of that is due to the heavy android skins and the accompanying poor software optimization. There are just too many different phones to account for. In BlackBerry's case with the Android Passport, they would have to optimize android for only ONE device, and coupled with a light BB10 skin, it would make for a smooth user experience. Sorry for the rant/essay, but I just wanted to verbalize why I think this play has a chance of paying off big time for BlackBerry IF they play their cards right. Optimize the **** out of whatever android build they are using and make the BB10 skin as minimal as possible, and with a functioning HUB, I would buy the **** out of that phone. Twice even.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 04:08 AM
    I won't. I don't think an Android -based BlackBerry will surprise the market. More likely it will be: finally,they give in, LOL.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 04:44 AM
    My first thought was no! But at a second thought why not? If some good features of the OS 10, like the hub and the multitasking are well integrated within the android skin, I wouldn't mind and certainly this BlackBerry would be my priority against the various competitive devices.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    07-05-15 09:29 AM
    No. But then I have never been part of a mob. I use Linux not Windows or IoS on my laptops and PCs.
    Don't want Google on my phone. I don't even want the Amazon Store on my bb10 passport.
    Apart from some utilities, which BlackBerry should have no problems allocating resources to develop instead of wasting them on Android,
    there is no useful android app that I cannot live without.
    07-05-15 09:39 AM
    No. But then I have never been part of a mob. I use Linux not Windows or IoS on my laptops and PCs.
    Don't want Google on my phone. I don't even want the Amazon Store on my bb10 passport.
    Apart from some utilities, which BlackBerry should have no problems allocating resources to develop instead of wasting them on Android,
    there is no useful android app that I cannot live without.
    I never found this argument to hold any weight. I fully switched to BlackBerry in January, and yes, I could just as well get by without installing a single Android app. I don't "need" any, but when there are certain apps like PocketCasts (my favorite podcast app), Quizlet (flashcard app I use all the time to study), Spotify, Amazon (for shopping), TeamViewer (the RDS client I use), and others that enhance my life and work flow, why would I not use them? Just to say I'm a BlackBerry purist? They will never be built natively for BlackBerry.

You don't want Google on your phone, but there's a good chance you use Google search, don't browse the internet privately, etc, etc, etc.

Funny you call Windows and iOS users mobs, but then you mention how you exclusively use Linux. I dual boot Linux as well, and I'd say Linux boards and users can be quite a bit more mob-like than their counterparts.
    07-05-15 01:13 PM
    If they somehow made the Passport dual boot-able, I'd be all over that. Use Android when there's an app I can't use on BB10, then use BB10 the other 99% of the time.
    07-05-15 01:36 PM
    This is what i think john chen might do, release android phone secured with BES or BISs Iike BIS, he will charge bes/bis from everyone who wants to secure their android phone. This way people will get a secure android with keyboard.
    Unfortunately us crackberry users dont account for even. 1% of market share. For john he needs to get 5-10% market share and for that he needs either android or google backed bb10 os.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 05:22 PM
    Blackberry hardware running android? What's the point? Back to Apple.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 12:34 AM
    Nope. One of the reasons I went back to BB10 was because of my hate for the Android OS.

Posted via CB10
    cbosdell and ratfinkstooley like this.
    07-06-15 02:11 AM
    I'd rather burn my passport then see it running android

Posted via the king of phones. The Passport.
    cbosdell, Trauma Surgeon and Poi25 like this.
    07-06-15 02:59 AM
    No I wouldn't and I'd stay on 10.3.2 forever before I downgraded to Android.
    07-06-15 04:43 AM
    I for one will surely welcomed Androidization of BB10, some apps are must for me, I don't see why there is so much of an objection of the idea in the first place. After all Android is the world one operating system for mobile phone, it's not perfect just like BB10 is not perfect, but as time goes along BlackBerry will find new ways of smothering out certain issues, Android is really the last hope for BlackBerry to keep the torch burning. BB10 as operating system will still around for sometime to come at least we can try to understand it from they perspective, it's do or die live or die which one will you choose.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 06:17 AM
    I am am a customer with my first BlackBerry Passport...

I use little of bbOS at all... I run proprietary apps for banking, security systems & cameras, medical issues for physicians, printing, & more that only android runtime offers... were it not for the keyboard, I would not have considered BlackBerry at all; were there no runtime, I would not have purchased it.

Without bbOS, that would be OK. I use HUB, but there are other equivalents. BBM is for communicating with fanboys; I am not one.

I like the phone very much, but would so whatever the label. As for bbOS, webOS was smoother & more uniform.

A keyboard slider or fixed could be made with a menu of OS choices at purchase... satisfy all.

I for one will surely welcomed Androidization of BB10, some apps are must for me, I don't see why there is so much of an objection of the idea in the first place. After all Android is the world one operating system for mobile phone, it's not perfect just like BB10 is not perfect, but as time goes along BlackBerry will find new ways of smothering out certain issues, Android is really the last hope for BlackBerry to keep the torch burning. BB10 as operating system will still around for sometime to come at least we can try to understand it from they perspective, it's do or die live or die which one will you choose.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 08:23 AM
    I have not run into a single app the runtime fails to run; sadly, nobody has made a patch to let it see appps on the SD card, the only advantage to dual boot the space saved consumed by the 2nd OS.

If I had to choose to give up one OS, bbOS would be it.

If they somehow made the Passport dual boot-able, I'd be all over that. Use Android when there's an app I can't use on BB10, then use BB10 the other 99% of the time.
    07-06-15 08:32 AM
    As much as it could help BlackBerry I just don't see it working. There are a lot of high powered android phones going cheap (one plus as an example) that make it such a competitive landscape. On a personal note I have tried Android (with a nexus 5) and I didn't like it. If BlackBerry went this way, which is possible, I'd probably go and get myself an iPhone. Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 09:14 AM
    As much as it could help BlackBerry I just don't see it working. There are a lot of high powered android phones going cheap (one plus as an example) that make it such a competitive landscape. On a personal note I have tried Android (with a nexus 5) and I didn't like it. If BlackBerry went this way, which is possible, I'd probably go and get myself an iPhone. Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    It's about making BlackBerry available for Android markets also enterprises will have the option of choosing the BlackBerry brand known for it's security is that a bad thing?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 09:25 AM
    I'd rather burn my passport then see it running android

Posted via the king of phones. The Passport.
    You made me laugh sir, very few forum posts do that.
    07-06-15 09:34 AM
176 ... 45678