Just like Dr. Frankenstein, Chen would eventually live to regret creating such a hideous monster...

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 09:19 AM
    What's the issue? No one said BlackBerry will stop offering "pure" smartphones.
    Did you read the title? The answer for those people replied "no" is no.

No one is saying BlackBerry should go Android or not, they were just saying they won't buy a Passport if it comes with Android.

Yes BlackBerry can go Android beside BlackBerry, but it's just a bad move from experience. It will take longer than expected to finish, it will be buggy to start with, and it will spread BlackBerry 's resource even thinner. Remember last time when they have to work on two platforms simultaneously (BBOS and BB10)? Remember that turmoil? And that was before 5 rounds of layoff.

Yes by the book it seems to be a nice strategy but there is actual work needs to be done. And work takes talents, resources and execution.

It's not a chalk board game. Security experts on BlackBerry platform won't automatically become security experts on Android. There are things to learn and there are mistakes to make on that learning curve. The principals are common but the execution of those principles can go very very wrong.

Even if we forget about security, only focus on developing Android skins, do you know how many generations it takes before Samsung and HTC get it to where they are right now? Why it still sucks? Because they don't have the talents Google has. BlackBerry 's talent pool for Android has way less experience than Samsung and HTC's, what makes you think BlackBerry 's Android skin will come out lighter, smoother and more seamless than Samsung and HTC's?

The storyline is going to be something like this: BlackBerry set their foot in Android camp and start ruining it too.

Yes, HUB on Android is a great idea, but the execution is not easy. And based the past experience, getting things right the first time has never been BlackBerry 's forte.

Gosh, why truth is so negative?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    07-04-15 09:50 AM
    negative! i love bb 10!
    07-04-15 10:08 AM
    I would buy any blackberry, but a secure BlackBerry with no worries about apps would be a dream come true. No more side loading and patching should be a welcome thing for us BlackBerry users.

Post via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    07-04-15 11:23 AM
    If I were to buy an Android phone, I would buy a Samsung or LG phone since there's local support for them here.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 11:55 AM
    NOoooOoooooo I would buy a dual boot but I would surely completely turn off the dual boot screen. The droid os would be DOA and sold to the sand people if they wanted it.

Posted from a Passport or Z30. Get one!
    07-04-15 12:26 PM
    Even if we forget about security, only focus on developing Android skins, do you know how many generations it takes before Samsung and HTC get it to where they are right now? Why it still sucks? Because they don't have the talents Google has. BlackBerry 's talent pool for Android has way less experience than Samsung and HTC's, what makes you think BlackBerry 's Android skin will come out lighter, smoother and more seamless than Samsung and HTC's?
    You're assuming BB will go the route of TouchWiz or Sense. Don't think it's the fact that HTC or Samsung has less talent, I'd say those skins suck because they're taking barebones, stock Android and bloating it up with a complete system-wide skin to try and differentiate themselves. That's why the majority of the general public thinks "Galaxies" aren't even Android and would likely assume stock Android is an entirely different OS; my Uncle thought they were different. Based on the renders (yes I know they're just renders), that looks more like stock Android, which would be a smart choice and allow best performance.

BB would need to write kernel modules for some PKB hardware and Hub integration, but other than that I don't see what else needs to be done. Of course, I'm not talking about security aspects.
    07-04-15 01:54 PM
    You're assuming BB will go the route of TouchWiz or Sense. Don't think it's the fact that HTC or Samsung has less talent, I'd say those skins suck because they're taking barebones, stock Android and bloating it up with a complete system-wide skin to try and differentiate themselves. That's why the majority of the general public thinks "Galaxies" aren't even Android and would likely assume stock Android is an entirely different OS; my Uncle thought they were different. Based on the renders (yes I know they're just renders), that looks more like stock Android, which would be a smart choice and allow best performance.

BB would need to write kernel modules for some PKB hardware and Hub integration, but other than that I don't see what else needs to be done. Of course, I'm not talking about security aspects.
    I am sure BlackBerry will disagree with you and bloat it up like Samsung and HTC in the execution of BB10 skin... there is no reason to believe they won't when they have the power to decide what the skin should look like.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    07-04-15 02:00 PM
    If I wanted an Android, I'd get a real Android.
    07-04-15 02:08 PM
    So as I'm seeing more and more people that would buy this particular phone. They do understand that "Built for BlackBerry" apps will not be on it, of course they'll have the BlackBerry Suite or whatever they're making for the other OS's- but other than that it will be a pure android device with a BlackBerry casing.

It's cool that this phone is a slider but if only android will be its OS then it stops me (and plenty of other people) from purchasing it. There's that other article speculating it's specs... and it's nothing to even look at.

Posted via the CB10 App on my Z10
    07-04-15 02:25 PM
    The main problem for BlackBerry to adopt Android OS on their upcoming devices is the current resources they are having right now. It's no secret that BlackBerry reduced its manpower. And maintaining two OS's is not an easy task. They need resources to maintain two OS's.

And believe me, sooner or later, BlackBerry will drop the support on one of them - most likely the one that is not profitable. We will probably have an idea once the BlackBerry-Android devices makes more money than BB10 OS. And we cannot blame the CEO because that is his main job i.e. to make money...

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 02:31 PM
    I think we already established how most folks here feel lol - CrackBerry Asks: Would you buy an Android-based BlackBerry? | CrackBerry.com

Bla1ze, the chase for new customers is conditioned by what THEY would buy which is NOT represented here on CB by the vanishing breed of loyalists to the BlackBerry OS...if the android slider is a solidly built device with few QC issues, a chance to keep hardware afloat is present. Exclusively on ATT with no unlocked version is not such a good choice IMHO... we'll see...

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 02:37 PM
    I would not buy a passport running Android. But it would certainly help BlackBerry to get some more of their devices sold.
    Dual boot OS or an OS of your choice at first start with the option to load the other OS any time you want (using a pc / BlackBerry software)...
    I know a bunch of people who have never considered BlackBerry but are looking for an android phone with a keyboard.
    Some of them even bought a passport after I got mine first. The thing is, that almost no one knows the fact that you can run android apps on BlackBerry 10, even this knowledge may help to get some more customers to BlackBerry...
    Their advertisement really sucks!

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 02:47 PM
    The main problem for BlackBerry to adopt Android OS on their upcoming devices is the current resources they are having right now. It's no secret that BlackBerry reduced its manpower. And maintaining two OS's is not an easy task. They need resources to maintain two OS's.

And believe me, sooner or later, BlackBerry will drop the support on one of them - most likely the one that is not profitable. We will probably have an idea once the BlackBerry-Android devices makes more money than BB10 OS. And we cannot blame the CEO because that is his main job i.e. to make money...

Posted via CB10
    Technically BlackBerry would be making the hardware and providing some software so Android would be maintaining and providing OS updates... only makes sense. You're right about BlackBerry not having enough resources for that kind of undertaking. I hope they don't. It would be dumb.

This phone is for people sick of BB10/BBOS that want to flock to Android or previous BlackBerry users that are now on iOS/android waiting to come back (in a way).

This is Not for the pure BB10 loyalist- they should release a phone to coincide with this and obviously give us the Z30 upgrade we've been waiting for.

Posted via the CB10 App on my Z10
    07-04-15 02:50 PM
    No. I just finished playing with a friend's S6. Nice phone to look at but not shortly after starting I began to get frustrated by to the fact I couldn't just swipe to get things done. It is just not as efficient for my needs. Also the candy bar screen is no longer for me, so even missing that I can't say I'll ever go back to Android.
    07-04-15 04:34 PM
    BIG NO

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 04:51 PM
    Honestly no. I have a Nexus (and have used other devices like note 4) as a side device and as far as android has come, the thing still eats up my battery and crashes way more often than my blackberry q10, classic, and passport has. And using Bberry has made me realize my needs vs wants as far as app selection goes lol

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 04:53 PM
    I get what you're saying, if I tap on a BBM message for example, I'm just replying to the message but the BBM app won't be open in home page.

But the experiences are basically both the same on BB10 and Android, you're one swipe away from getting to the hub/notification tray and then one tap brings you to the message to respond, technicalities aside of course.

Posted via CB10
    Those technicalities make the difference in speed and used resources, but yes the amount of clicks is the same

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 05:28 PM
    If actual google play services worked proper and things like chrome cast and Netflix ect worked, there would be no need for a full version of android. But I'll take a dual boot option
    07-04-15 05:44 PM
    Technically BlackBerry would be making the hardware and providing some software so Android would be maintaining and providing OS updates... only makes sense.
    Except that's not the case unless BlackBerry simply throws stock Android on the device with no security implementations or OS tweaks. At the very least, BlackBerry will add security enhancements and Hub integration so no, Google won't be pushing OTA updates to the devices; BlackBerry will once they receive updates from Google and add their own **** on top.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    07-04-15 08:11 PM
    Wouldn't be enough if BlackBerry signed some kind of agreement with Google to be able to use and run Google Play Services in the Android emulator. Then we would have the best of both worlds, the BB10 and all the Android apps. For or me, that's the way to go.
    Would that it could be that simple. Google themselves would have to rewrite the rules for the Open Handset Alliance for that to work.

Even worse, by the current rules of the OHA (which manufacturers need to follow to get GPLAY access for their devices), BlackBerry would have to either remove Android compatibility from BB10 or stop making it completely.

I'd love for BlackBerry and Google to work something out on this, but it's really Google's call to make and there is little benefit to them.

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    07-04-15 10:14 PM
    Would that it could be that simple. Google themselves would have to rewrite the rules for the Open Handset Alliance for that to work.

Even worse, by the current rules of the OHA (which manufacturers need to follow to get GPLAY access for their devices), BlackBerry would have to either remove Android compatibility from BB10 or stop making it completely.

I'd love for BlackBerry and Google to work something out on this, but it's really Google's call to make and there is little benefit to them.

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    This will called for new rules to the game the old model or ways of doing business is forever changing the world demands something new to happen everyday possibilities are limitless.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 10:25 PM
    Why would I want a BlackBerry android device? I have a huge range of phones to choose from. That is unless BlackBerry does something really good with Android customizations.

Passport, SQW 100-1, 10.3.2.440
    07-04-15 11:06 PM
    Nope. Don't trust Android OS. Guess I would have to go get a flip phone.

Posted with my awesome BlackBerry Passport
    extisis likes this.
    07-04-15 11:09 PM
    Nope

Posted via my favorite Passport
    extisis likes this.
    07-04-15 11:10 PM
176 ... 34567 ...