Was looking to get a Passport as a work phone.

Would it be a good phone to have? What Android apps work well on it?
    02-07-18 09:27 AM
    I would say it is a great work phone, if not the best when you want to get things done. For my purpose,still lot of great native apps. Smooth and easy to handle, great screensize. Social apps, so far no great problems. Android apps of course depends of your needs, but still many works well much thanks to Cobalts help programs.
    LazySage and ratfinkstooley like this.
    02-07-18 09:52 AM
    I would say it is a great work phone, if not the best when you want to get things done. For my purpose,still lot of great native apps. Smooth and easy to handle, great screensize. Social apps, so far no great problems. Android apps of course depends of your needs, but still many works well much thanks to Cobalts help programs.
    Agree. I like mine so much I came back to it from the DTEK-60.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-18 10:02 AM
    If all you want is email, texting and phone... it is a great work phone for the next two years.

You need social media apps, don't buy it.

You just need a few Android Apps, you ought to do some research (search CrackBerry) and search each app that you want to use. BB10 is compatible with many apps built for Android 4.3, so it's best to use older versions of some apps. With some work you can get Google Play Services to work mostly, patching will add a little more compatibility.
    02-07-18 10:05 AM
    Email, texting and phone...hmm it's certainly more. It depends on your needs of the latest maybe.

Social: facebook lite, messenger lite (android versions- no need for patching), Inst10 instagram, blaq twitter,

With Cobalts filed and patching I easily stream e.g. Netflix to chromecast (android) or playtv

Maps like: BeMaps or maps.me

I use several parking apps in my country (android & patching)

I use Deezer for music (from amazon) and Supertube for youtube

A native multicountry public transport app is Fahrplan and several other android ones works with or without patching.

Banking app like seqr... and so on.

I think only urge for the very modern is a stopper!

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    02-07-18 02:18 PM
    There are great PP bargains out there second hand. With the ££ you are saving treat yourself to a 7" android slate or a little chromebook for the app fix.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-18 02:07 AM

Use one all the time as my daily driver, has som issues but all and all a great phone! Load Cobalts version of play store and it will be fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Would a Passport still be a good choice?-46f090c0-caa1-4caa-a2aa-370489b7e0ec.jpg  
    Sime0n_S and Qorax like this.
    02-08-18 11:57 AM
    Great answers; it depends on your work, if a lot of it is email, the Passport's great, it replaced my Mac completely for that. Some of my contacts use whatsapp heavily, they only tried BBM then Signal for me... After a little arm twisting / begging. Since they hate typing on their phones, some of them send voice messages over whatsapp, which came out garbled; there's an app that works around that (Opus Player), but having the hack for a hacked app which already required a hack for media sharing (Whatsfixer) seemed a little ridiculous and ready to fail when most needed.

In a way the Passport is the best phone ever made, made by people who never understood the concept of ecosystems. it turns out some of those ecosystems are useful, but also have plenty of problems: security, spying, manipulation, market power...
    Qorax likes this.
    02-08-18 12:59 PM
    In a way the Passport is the best phone ever made, made by people who never understood the concept of ecosystems.
    Heheh, also made for people who've no use for ecosystems! Like me. I've never used an "app" ~ and don't understand why I need one when I can do everything from the respective websites itself.
    02-08-18 05:54 PM
    Use my OG Passport for work and private - will never tire of this great device.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Qorax and ratfinkstooley like this.
    02-10-18 04:06 AM

If you rely heavily on Android apps and need your apps to "work well," NOPE.

But should you wish to bring out the inner hobbyist in you, then search within the CB forums for Cobalt's method/workarounds. No guarantee though that the Android apps you require will work/function normally.
    02-10-18 07:43 AM
    I think it's still a great work phone. Outlook mail links and works fine even if your company has a portal it'll work without having to go thru their portal set up. Just log in to outlook and bamb it works. Calendar, email, messaging stll the best. As far as social stuff. I have fb, instagram, yelp, twitter, and you can get a replacement for whatsapp for bb10. No snapchat tho. Def still a great phone to use.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-18 08:45 AM
    A Passport is a solid choice for business, but if you also want solid Android app quality, then avoid it. Alternatively, you could buy the Passport and then buy an Android flagship from a few years ago, to get the best of both worlds: Affordablility (if price was an issue for you), pure BlackBerry 10 and the ecosystem of Android.

Made sure I stressed the Pure OS 10 part, cuz I know many would just say get a Keyone to have access to Android apps and a permanent physical keyboard. 🤣
    02-10-18 04:01 PM
    I just purchased a "like new" one on eBay for $99 (reputable seller, too!) as a backup. I currently have the AMAZING Huawei Mate 9 but missed my Passport and thought it'd be a good backup.
    I'll use it when I'm bored of the glass slab knowing its limitations. Basically all I use a phone for is Texting, Emails, Calls, Spreadsheets, Facebook and Instagram so it's a win for me!
    02-12-18 06:59 PM