*** Update --> I'm happy. Moved to the Passport SE on Oct 13th ***

Long story short...

Former BES Administrator (among other things) with Novell GroupWise integration for a large school district, moved into the world of Android around 4.0, and more recently dabbled with the Priv amalgam. Daily driver is an LG V10 since AT&T turned my Priv into a useless brick. Link here

Although I'm fully ensconced in the Android/Google world, with prices dropping on the Passport SE to dump remaining stock and given my continuing curiosity with BB OS 10.3.x (currently on its death march), would I be happy with a 10.3.x device or would that jump be too awkward? Any others jump from Android to BB OS? How was that transition for you?

I realize those are subjective questions, but I'm intrigued with the 10.3.x OS experience and have been away from BlackBerry OS for too long to make any assumptions, thus the questions.

Of course, I could always utilize the Cobalt232 Google Play Store for BB10 solution, if absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by Mr23779; 11-08-16 at 02:34 PM.
    10-09-16 05:32 PM
    Had me plenty of BBs but never a Passport as my carrier didn't sell them. However, after having been on an Android, I think you will see the app part of your phone very unsatisfying on a BB as compared to an Android. I made the move from BB to android and i could kick myself for not doing it sooner. I don't miss one thing about BB. I know a lot of people will tell you there's no better OS, but nothing is much different on any platform anymore. Just my opinion.

I hope you get a chance to try a Passport and end up loving it as much as those who own one do.
    Mr23779, Rustiman, andy957 and 1 others like this.
    10-09-16 06:25 PM
    It all depends on what you want and use the phone for. BlackBerry is very limited app wise. If you are going to use the Passport or any BB10 phone, I would suggest that you use a two device setup. What I mean by that is having a BB10 phone that handles all your communication(assuming you don't use Whatsapp and some other messaging apps) and an old phone or tablet for all the apps you might need or want.

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876 
    10-09-16 09:48 PM
    That's quite a question, and the answer isn't easy... but I'll toss in a few opinions.

As someone who has used BB10 exclusively in the past, I didn't feel limited by the lack of apps. BB10 did what I needed it to do rather well, namely, it helped me manage multiple email accounts of high volume, as well as multiple chat platforms. Hub stands as one of the most, if not the most, powerful and efficient communications tools ever created, especially with peek and flow. However, I did also run an android tablet of some sort on occasion, so I was never without android completely.

I had a Q10, then a Z30, and then a Passport. I never felt lacking. However, that Passport got wet, and became completely unreliable. In need of an instant replacement, I got an ASUS Zenfone Laser 2. While it was a good phone with a decent screen, and after having installed the BlackBerry keyboard, it was a good daily driver. However, I never felt it was as capable as a communications powerhouse as my BlackBerry phones had been. I had to go all over the place to find my messages in multiple chat apps, and email (the Gmail app) was clunky. I managed, but it felt like I was working at a Phillips screw with a flathead screwdriver.

Today, I still have the Zenfone 2, but I just picked up another Passport. Even though both of them are powered up and have active SIM cards, I haven't picked up the Zenfone in days.

As you're quite entrenched in the Google ecosystem, and likely somewhat invested in some favorite apps, I would suggest that even with the android runtimes built into BB10 (emulating KitKat), you could find yourself feeling somewhat limited app wise. But that depends what you use tour android for. If it's primarily communications, audio playback, and Web browsing, you'll love BB10. And if you like a physical keyboard, you'll adore the Passport.

If you're an app guy, enjoy android gaming, and have any reliance on Google apps which require the Google Framework, you may be disappointed.

I would recommend you run a Passport in tandem with your current android phone. At the very least, you'll probably find yourself using the Passport for all things communications and browsing related (the wide screen is terrific!), and using the android for apps you can't do without. At best, you'll love the Passport so much that you'll forget all about the android phone... much like I have.

Best of luck!

Passport SQW100-1 running OS 10.3.3.746
    10-09-16 10:05 PM
    It depends what you want or need.

The Passport itself is a great device!
    Awesome battery life, the screen just great (esp. the 1:1 ratio for surfing and texting), also the keyboard and camera.

So, but that's it about it.
    When you happy with "basic stuff", like handling e-mails and browsing the web or just having outstanding security/privacy - go for it.
    The Passport might be the best device for that.

But if you need some apps, like Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram etc.
    You should go with Android - sure, OS10 is able to run Android apps. but it's always a work-around and it just won't work as on Android.
    There is almost no app developer support for OS10.

That's all I can say to that.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 02:06 AM
    If you primarily use your device for e-mails, texts and scheduling (e.g. calendar), the Passport is a great experience. If you're a "there's an app for that" kinda guy, you'll find yourself frustrated more often than not.
    10-10-16 03:44 AM
    If you primarily use your device for e-mails, texts and scheduling (e.g. calendar), the Passport is a great experience. If you're a "there's an app for that" kinda guy, you'll find yourself frustrated more often than not.
    This. I love my passport, but I am completely invested in the bb10 ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 08:16 AM
    I would definitely classify myself as using a phone as a communication device and not an entertainment device. I am a heavy email, text, call, and calendar guy. I also do quite a bit of web searches. Not in the sense that I want to waste time browsing nonsense, but if I need to research something or find a quick answer while out in the field. I don't play games nor am I an app guy. I rarely use an app outside of what comes preinstalled on a phone. (Sometimes use Google Maps or Kindle Reader app, but that's rare). I don't have time for social media on my phone. I have a Chromebook at home that's better suited for browsing forums or looking at social media websites.
    acovey likes this.
    10-10-16 08:35 AM
    I would definitely classify myself as using a phone as a communication device and not an entertainment device. I am a heavy email, text, call, and calendar guy. I also do quite a bit of web searches. Not in the sense that I want to waste time browsing nonsense, but if I need to research something or find a quick answer while out in the field. I don't play games nor am I an app guy. I rarely use an app outside of what comes preinstalled on a phone. (Sometimes use Google Maps or Kindle Reader app, but that's rare). I don't have time for social media on my phone. I have a Chromebook at home that's better suited for browsing forums or looking at social media websites.
    If this is your usage case, then I think you would like the Passport and it would be suited for you. The only concern I have with my Passport right now is that the native browser may begin to get outdated. For me, right now, the browser is good but that may change at any time. We do have 3rd party browsers that may help with this somewhat. Good luck with your decision!
    keliew, jaydee5799 and acovey like this.
    10-10-16 10:03 AM
    That sums my usage requirements as well, and I have found my passport more than adequately meets my needs. I moved from a samsung note to my passport, and use it extensively. I have an iPad and a laptop which I use for entertainment, no need or desire to have my phone fill the same purpose. It handles all my Communications with ease, far more efficiently than did my Note 3.

As others have said.. totally depends on what you need your phone to do.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 11:01 AM
    Would the Device Switch app allow me move my Google contacts to the Passport? If not, can someone recommend a better or more efficient way to do that?

How well does the native web browser work? Any well documented limitations or should that not even be a concern?
    10-10-16 11:06 AM
    If this is really your usage, I'd say pull the trigger.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    anon(8080272) likes this.
    10-10-16 11:39 AM
    If this is really your usage, I'd say pull the trigger.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    Agreed. The Passport is perfect for this type of user.
    10-10-16 11:54 AM
    From v10 I'd say you'd enjoy the passport.

People don't realize the passport screen was ingenious for content.

These 16:9 screens that get taller and taller do absolutely nothing in terms of content really, it's just scaled up.

You see more on the passport, where as having a 5'5 vs a 5' phone has small differences in how much you see but a big difference in how much you have to physically handle.

Keep note the camera is no good on the passport if you are used to the v10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-10-16 12:40 PM
    ...the camera is no good on the passport if you are used to the v10.

I'm definitely not a photog. I use a phone camera for simple and quick shots here and there. Definitely nothing more than opening the app and snapping a quick photo. I've never adjusted any settings or used any fancy features. I will snap an occasional photo of my dogs or family and sometimes things at work to send to a subcontractor when a picture is worth more than a thousand words.

It sounds like I'd do well with a Passport, but at this point I'm just worried about the migration process for my contacts. All my contacts are tied into my GMail account and stored there instead of locally on my LG V10. Would the Device Switch software solve that issue?
    10-10-16 12:53 PM
    I wouldn't worry about getting your contacts imported if they are all stored in Gmail. Once you add your account it will download all your contacts.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    10-10-16 01:05 PM
    I wouldn't worry about getting your contacts imported if they are all stored in Gmail. Once you add your account it will download all your contacts.

Perfect. Thanks for that info. The process must be much more streamlined than I originally thought.
    Looks like I need to go place my order for the phone. Thanks to everyone involved in this thread.
    10-10-16 01:07 PM
    I doubt you'd be happy with it as a daily driver.

But for just seeing what it was like, the Passport is an impressive design and BB10 was a "fluid" OS at times. Did make for a very productive business phones.

App were another matter, and while Cobalt has contributed to making things much better with his hack of Google Play... it is a lot of work, with no guarantees.

As long as you are aware where both BB10 and BlackBerry are... it can be a fun hobby.
    10-10-16 02:19 PM
    DDD,

Understood. I'll keep digging and doing more research before jumping in.
    10-10-16 02:22 PM
    Perfect. Thanks for that info. The process must be much more streamlined than I originally thought.
    Looks like I need to go place my order for the phone. Thanks to everyone involved in this thread.
    The biggest problem with importing your contacts may be double or triple instances if you have too many synced services. ie Outlook, Gmail, BBID, etc. Adding your gmail account is simple and efficient. Since you have no BBID you don't have to worry about duplicates there but if you have a yahoo account to add or others that may sync, you may want to disable that feature in your accounts before you begin your setup.
    10-10-16 03:01 PM
    I only have a single GMail account I'm interested in using. I never bother with work email (which is also hosted by Google) on my personal devices. If it doesn't get answered during normal working hours while I have access to a computer, I'm not going to have my personal time interrupted with work nonsense on my personal device. It can wait until morning when I'm at the office and make a concerted effort to check work email messages.

No Yahoo account, or other for that matter, to worry myself with. I like to keep it simple.
    brookie229 likes this.
    10-10-16 03:09 PM
    Am unsure if BB10 will sync with your Gmail contacts, but you can be sure that calendar events will be sync both ways. It's awesome.

Out of the box, am pretty sure you'll love it based on your usage behaviour.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    10-10-16 03:23 PM
    Just check and see if all your needed apps for daily functionality will work before transistioning over. That may mean you have to buy the device and use it via wi-fi or swap sim cards back and forth for a while.

I've moved over from being a huge fan of Android. And yes it took jumping through hoops because I NEED to use it with a Pebble watch. But I love the form factor and hasn't moved back to Android since.

And if BB10 doesn't have the app I needed, I'd check out the Android version. If still not working, look for an older version on sites like apkpure or similar. I know the current WeChat BB10 version is hideiously out of date and the current WeChat app on the play store won't work on the Passport. I had to get a somewhat older version and it works with 90% functionaliy with a few workarounds (chat migration is broken, and sight camera is upside down, plus needs zoomed out view resizing to work).

If that still won't work and it's a service type of app (transit time checking) then i try to use the mobile version and I just make a home page link.
    10-10-16 04:09 PM
    After some quick research...

Blackberry Maps substitute for Google Maps from BB World
    Go Music substitute for Google Play Music from BB World
    Amazon Kindle Reader from Amazon Store
    Inst10 substitute for Instagram from BB World
    CB10 and CB Forums from BB World
    Blackberry Weather from BB World or use BB Assistant to check local Wx forecast
    Wells Fargo from Amazon Store
    YouTube from Amazon Store
    Twitter by Blackberry Limited from BB World
    Driving Sports TV Mobile from Amazon Store (Subaru Motorsports content?)

I can download a screen capture of my Starbucks bar code from my Google Photos if I need coffee. No need for a Starbucks app.

Use web browser for State Farm, Nextdoor, ClearCheckbook, G+
    10-10-16 04:19 PM
    After some quick research...

Blackberry Maps substitute for Google Maps from BB World
    Go Music substitute for Google Play Music from BB World
    Amazon Kindle Reader from Amazon Store
    Inst10 substitute for Instagram from BB World
    CB10 and CB Forums from BB World
    Blackberry Weather from BB World or use BB Assistant to check local Wx forecast
    Wells Fargo from Amazon Store
    YouTube from Amazon Store
    Twitter by Blackberry Limited from BB World
    Driving Sports TV Mobile from Amazon Store (Subaru Motorsports content?)

I can download a screen capture of my Starbucks bar code from my Google Photos if I need coffee. No need for a Starbucks app.

Use web browser for State Farm, Nextdoor, ClearCheckbook, G+
    You just started and probably know more about BB10 than I do lol
    10-10-16 07:38 PM
116 123 ...