02-20-16 01:52 PM
51 123
tools
    Come to the end of a contract and want to upgrade my BlackBerry Q10.

Have wanted a Passport since they first came out and am now looking at the Silver Edition.

However I'm getting frightened off by all the 'end of BB10 ' rumours. I love the BB10 OS and don't want to have to give it up and move to Android.

Would I be throwing my money away by buying a Passport now?

Appreciate all your thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 07:30 AM
    Blackberry OS10 is going to be around for a while yet, they have to have support for their existing enterprise clients. If you already love OS10 and Blackberry.com is giving some great deals on the the Passport and the SE model at the moment, I would say go for it.
    anon(9088244) likes this.
    02-17-16 07:38 AM
    I hope not. I just received my SE yesterday.

I figure I can get several years of service before looking for another device.
    I am seriously liking the Passport.

Small adaption for the keyboard as I am used to Classic but way better for everything I do with a mobile device. I'm configuring the Z30 for my Girlfriend and keeping the Classic as a backup.

Chris - Posted Via CB10 on my Passport SE
    02-17-16 07:39 AM
    I have an att version for the wireless charging. I was going to buy a gold se but I'm not in Hollywood. I am going to get a silver version though. You don't want to miss out on this experience. The voice to text is great and it's just awesome all around.

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    02-17-16 07:59 AM
    you would be crazy not to upgrade to either a Passport or may a Classic if you rather like a device that easily slots in to a pocket or can be used one-handed.
    You will not regret either device if you are coming from a Q10.

Posted either via -Passport SQW100-1 or -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    02-17-16 09:59 AM
    There should be some good deals if there is a fire sale on
    Passorts

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 12:04 PM
    You know, if you can live with the static ecosystem, why not?

A good case in point would be an older computer running Windows XP. If you're just doing email / web browsing, etc., then a pretty old computer is still pretty adequate - don't really need to have the latest gaming powerhouse.

BB10 "dying" just means that no significant enhancements - possibly there will be Android apps that will cease to work as they're updated to take advantage of "Marshmallow" features that the static Android runtime won't be able to handle. Other than that, it should soldier on for quite some period of time.
    02-17-16 02:01 PM
    I got my new SE yesterday having had a 9900 for years. My initial impression is that its all and more than I wanted. Its a really sturdy piece of equipment and the keyboard is exceptional. Set up was really easy and I'm really enjoying learning how to use the phone to the full extent of its' capabilities. In summary, go for it!
    02-17-16 04:22 PM
    If you really want it, I'm afraid you're going to have to accept the risks and just buy it. Think of it this way, if this is the end of BB10, you only have this one last chance to own this quirky phone and enjoy it while it lasts.

I've had mine just short of a year. When I saw one for the first time in person, I knew I had to have one. Even if only for awhile. It's the most different phone you can lay your hands on.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 11:28 PM
    On blog blackberry there is a article where John is at the Canadian Embassy in D.C. and he is telling all of the gov people that BB10 will get updated to 10.3.3 this year , check it out , id post the link but i cant post links yet.
    02-17-16 11:55 PM
    Bb10 died when blackberry decided to go android. Regarding buy a passport now, I'd only get one if you're getting a stellar deal. Otherwise get a Priv. I'd feel stupid if I got a passport on contract or upgrade, and then have it rock bottom in price due to no support ( which is starting to happen ).
    02-18-16 03:08 AM
    I'd feel stupid if I got a passport on contract or upgrade, and then have it rock bottom in price due to no support ( which is starting to happen ).
    I don't think support is the issue, development yes but not support. I'm sure support will be there for a minimum of 2yrs because of the amount of corporate BB10 users that are out there.

However I take your point re the drop in price - unfortunately I see no significant price drops at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 04:51 AM
    I don't think so, if you like blackberry, just buy the passport, it is a great phone.

Sent from  Passport
    02-18-16 07:01 AM
    The silver edition is a great phone! Great functionality, stable, it has all the apps I need (native and android ones run flawlessly), supports vector smartwatch awesome screen, loooong battery life, if you have another piece of steel you can use it to light fire, in worst case scenario you can use it as a weapon...
    You can get it pretty cheap compared to other phones (unless you want a Chinese spyware phone that is)

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 07:15 AM
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Was about to order one tonight but got a little freaked out over all the screen lift stories and threads.

Any of you been affected by this?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 07:27 AM
    Nope. I have black Passport

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 07:34 AM
    Crazy for buying the best communication device in the market...?!

Posted via the sexy black Panther
    02-18-16 09:05 AM
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Was about to order one tonight but got a little freaked out over all the screen lift stories and threads.

Posted via CB10
    A few Passports in my company (20 to 30) and not one reported a screen lift issue. Just remember, you hear more of the bad stories because ppl are upset. And they have a right to be. Consider, if there's 5 bad devices in a batch of 1,000, you will likely hear about those 5, but very little about the other 995.

As much as I'm ticked at BlackBerry for their crawl away from BB10, I've tried Android and damn, BB10 is really where it's at. The more I try Android, the more I appreciate my Passport and what BlackBerry has created with BB10.

I say take the plunge and grab the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 10:53 AM
    I don't think so.. I just ordered an AT&T version. I have a Red one but have been wanting the wireless option.. should be here in the next couple of days..

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 11:08 AM
    You know what crazy is? Walking around with a Passport while wearing skinny jeans.

On a serious note though, the Passport isn't all that bad. It has a nice keyboard and a monstrous battery life. If you don't need the latest and greatest apps then stick to the Passport, but considering the next iteration of the OS, 10.3.3, it'll just be security related updates, nothing fancy like when 10.3 was released. In short, it will most probably be just the same as before; no expected new features. However, if you go the Priv route, you will be pampered by BlackBerry by monthly updates, and the latest and greatest apps from the Playstore.
    Fret Madden likes this.
    02-18-16 11:57 AM
    I have just moved from an iPhone 6 to a Passport. I really do not need the overpopulated ios appworld, but I really do need good battery life and a keyboard. I use about 5 apps regularly, all available on Blackberry - and as much as I like the Priv, I have tried to like Android on 3 different phones now and I simply cannot abide it!
    BerrySoul likes this.
    02-18-16 12:07 PM
    I just bought the Passport SE last night, just as an FYI there are some great discount codes available in the Tech deals section of this site. I searched Passport discount code and found a 15% discount on the Passport. That's on top of the free accessories they are giving this week too.
    Chris Chin likes this.
    02-18-16 01:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    I have two Passports. The oldest one in September 2014. The newest is the SE. I have not experienced any screen lift on any of my devices.

 Passport SE on Etisalat 4G Network propelled by 10.3.2.2876
    Last edited by IndianTiwari; 02-18-16 at 02:36 PM.
    BerrySoul likes this.
    02-18-16 02:26 PM
    Being self-employed I can claim the purchase of any smartphone as a business expence, and the choice of model is mine. Have had the Passport for over a year and do not have any urge to change anything at this time. I haven't even yet completed all the possibilities available on this model.
    BerrySoul likes this.
    02-18-16 02:29 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is not dead. Updates are coming albeit a little slow . The devices are running and no issues at all. Service support is available. The device at the current price is real value for money. Please go for it and I am sure you will not regret it.

 Passport SE on Etisalat 4G Network propelled by 10.3.2.2876
    BerrySoul and anon(9088244) like this.
    02-18-16 02:34 PM
51 123