That article is also from almost 3 years ago. They were right - phones got bigger.

But none of them today are square.
    That is the point. The passport was ahead of its time with the 1:1 ratio and most people were not ready for it back then. Moving forward, this ratio can be relevant when phablets become the popular choice among consumer that now want a wider screen.
    12-17-17 01:39 PM
    Not now but eventually this will be where we are heading as with phablets and such. Phones are getting bigger and therefore, screens as well and the ratio will get wider. If you want a smaller screen, stick with your smart watch only.
    The standard ratios for devices are 16:9 or 4:3, if you want it wider you simply need to turn your phone or tablet. 16:9 is dominant because most people like to watch HD movies on there device. People will always want larger screens but there is nothing to suggest they want square screens, certainly not the Passport sales numbers.
    12-17-17 01:39 PM
    That is the point. The passport was ahead of its time with the 1:1 ratio and most people were not ready for it back then. Moving forward, this ratio can be relevant when phablets become the popular choice among consumer that now want a wider screen.
    You're making the wrong connections. As mentioned, the square shape ain't it.

Not that there's no place for it, just not on a money making consumer device.
    12-17-17 01:45 PM
    BlackBerry and Google were collaborating on 1:1 support on Android before the Priv launched but both decided it wasn't worth it.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2016/09/27/w...ered-passport/

Android supports 4:3 already so OEM's that need something "wide" already have a pretty good option.
    12-17-17 01:55 PM
    The main goal of "Material design" (the design guidelines of Android 5+) was that all apps should be able to adapt to any screen size. This makes multi-window and resizing apps on Chromebooks and stuff possible. There is absolutely no reason why Android can't support 1:1 now.
    ShalokShalom likes this.
    12-17-17 04:28 PM
    The main goal of "Material design" (the design guidelines of Android 5+) was that all apps should be able to adapt to any screen size. This makes multi-window and resizing apps on Chromebooks and stuff possible. There is absolutely no reason why Android can't support 1:1 now.
    Anything is possible. But why does it need to? Nobody is asking for it, so why encumber developers with it?
    12-17-17 04:44 PM
    Passport on android isn't anymore passport.
    Passport is the best device on bb10!!!
    And blackberry just software company isn't anymore blackberry customers loved. It's too clear for me...
    You have priv, keyone, motion... I think they are good, but tell me truth are they blackberry you know?
    Again and again I say management killed this nice OS and nice devices!!! Someone here are trying to show us how clever is Chen and Co because they saved money of shareholders.... it's not true in long-term...
    We all will see...
    History remembers names of ford, field, Edison, jobs etc.
    Names like Chen are just shame of business!!!

Posted via CB10

It's my last post here about blackberry...
    Oh boy....time to move on people . It's done. Has been done for a long time. It was done before Chen.
    12-17-17 06:34 PM
    What is happening in "other countries" ?

Why is 1:1 so urgent? Who's asking for it?
    Noooooobody!
    12-17-17 06:36 PM
    There was a Android Passport apparently, if whoever owns it managed to put up the OS autoloader that'd be a game changer.
    12-17-17 08:34 PM
    There was a Android Passport apparently, if whoever owns it managed to put up the OS autoloader that'd be a game changer.
    It was a test device for BlackBerry prior to the manufacture of the Priv.

No one else can install Android on a Passport, as they don't have the signing keys.
    12-17-17 08:38 PM
    It was a test device for BlackBerry prior to the manufacture of the Priv.

No one else can install Android on a Passport, as they don't have the signing keys.
    Dream the impossible dream and then along comes THE Dreamkiller... LOL
    12-17-17 10:24 PM
    Dream the impossible dream and then along comes THE Dreamkiller... LOL
    He does have a job to do around here
    12-17-17 11:35 PM
    ahh... but they can still call it a Passport if it has a slider....and it would be closer to the google arbitrary 4:3 magical dimensions instead of the Blackberry super-practical 1:1's. Problem solved. But really what's so hard about 1:1 anyway, just another dimension added to Google's immaterial design. What good design has ever come out of a super-conglomorate over-glorified advertising agency anyways? Android? ha ha ha ha...
    12-18-17 12:26 AM
    ....and who was asking for those two clowns to sell furniture tv and appliances before they started doing it???? Nooooooo body! and who was asking for one of them to be a future mayor of Toronto at one time??? Nooooooo body!
    12-18-17 12:36 AM
    close thread
    12-18-17 01:46 AM
    close thread
    Please don't, I'm enjoying this ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd likes this.
    12-18-17 03:16 AM
    ahh... but they can still call it a Passport if it has a slider....and it would be closer to the google arbitrary 4:3 magical dimensions instead of the Blackberry super-practical 1:1's. Problem solved. But really what's so hard about 1:1 anyway, just another dimension added to Google's immaterial design. What good design has ever come out of a super-conglomorate over-glorified advertising agency anyways? Android? ha ha ha ha...
    Were you part of BlackBerry Marketing department in BBOS days? LOL... If slider, then it would be a PRIV.
    12-18-17 06:48 AM
    Maybe even a privport. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    12-18-17 06:57 AM
    There will be no Android BlackBerry Passports coming, so buy and enjoy it with BlackBerry 10. BlackBerry 10 is very good.
    12-18-17 10:02 AM
    There will be no Android BlackBerry Passports coming, so buy and enjoy it with BlackBerry 10. BlackBerry 10 is very good.
    One day my friend...One day...
    Attached Thumbnails Would blackberry passport will come again with android version ?-ppse-android-1.jpg  
    12-18-17 10:34 AM
    There was a one-off, in-house experiment within BlackBerry a year or two ago.

Sold on ebay to one lucky individual last summer, I think.

I don't know if the one in the image you posted is it or not. There were several images floating around that was just an image mock-up displayed on a regular BB10 Passport.
    12-18-17 11:08 AM
    Hi
    I think you're in misunderstanding!
    As designers point of view the 3:2 is best because 1 inch there represent almost 1 inch in real world!
    As move lovers point of view the 16:9 and more wider is best because it somehow gives you the files of surround view!
    As book lovers point of view(at least people who love to read on E-devices) 1:1 is best because it is more pleasant to read on this kind of screen!
    And AFAIK phablet and tables are mostly second group, which means 1:1 won't came to this group!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-17 11:11 AM
    Hi
    As designers point of view the 3:2 is best because 1 inch there represent almost 1 inch in real world!
    As move lovers point of view the 16:9 and more wider is best because it somehow gives you the files of surround view!
    As book lovers point of view(at least people who love to read on E-devices) 1:1 is best because it is more pleasant to read on this kind of screen!
    And AFAIK phablet and tables are mostly second group, which means 1:1 won't came to this group!
    Where did you come up with all this nonsense?
    12-18-17 12:45 PM
    Where did you come up with all this nonsense?
    From where you are completely blind!
    For 3:2 you can check Microsoft's AIO reviews which almost every one said the same fact!
    For 16:9 it is really obvious
    About 1:1 maybe not true cause it mostly based on my own observations!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-17 01:50 PM
    Hi

Posted via CB10
    As a designer, your first statement makes no sense whatsoever.

For your second, 16x9 is just the HDTV ratio decided upon back in the early 90s. It doesn't even match any existing theatrical aspect ratios exactly.

Third... I've never seen a 1:1 (square) dedicated e-reader.
    12-18-17 01:57 PM
70 123