Had mine since November. Definitely took a month before I was reasonably fast. Now I'm as fast or faster than I was on my Q10 or any other device.

Learn to use the swiping gestures on the keyboard - that was the key for me. Stick with it. Once you get with it you will not know how you got along without it.
    03-25-15 10:26 PM
    Old keyboard was faster than the 3 row

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 10:30 PM
    Has it made you consider another phone? Having it for six months is quite a long time, worth the slow-down on your typing...?
    The battery life and screen are what keeps me using it

Posted via CB10
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-26-15 03:17 AM
    Had the same fear but after a few days way better typing on my passport then on my Z30. Sold my Z30 because holding it felt strange compared to the passport. So small....

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 03:44 AM
    I've had the Passport since early November, & still love the PKB, but it's having to look up at the screen keys that does slow me down occasionally. Having said that, I do use the flick-up a lot. Am I faster? Never really measured it against previous phones. But the size of the keypad is great & I find when I use my wife's Q10 that the size feels way too small now.

Posted on CB10 with my Passport but previously my Q10
    03-26-15 04:46 AM
    I am slower on Passport than on Z30, but I am NOT slow if you know what I mean.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-26-15 08:00 AM
    Give it time young padawan, it's worth it.

I've had it since October, I was very slow typing, now I can write without even looking at the keyboard.

One tip: download Extreme Typist 10 from BlackBerry App World to practice.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 08:07 AM
    I'm also struggling, having received a new Passport on Monday this week. Coming from a Z30 and iPhone 6+ for work, it s so much easier using both the other phones with a VK. I can't even figure out how to hold it properly, whether to use two thumbs or index fingers. I used to fly on my old 9900.

I'll keep practicing as many have suggested here. Must be old age setting in, lol

Posted via CB10
    I hold the Passport like I held my Z10. The bottom edge of the phone rests on my two little fingers. The other fingers cradle the phone and I type with my thumbs.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 09:50 AM
    I hold the Passport like I held my Z10. The bottom edge of the phone rests on my two little fingers. The other fingers cradle the phone and I type with my thumbs.

Posted via CB10
    Me, too. Good to see another familiar handle, Newcollector.

One of the reasons I detoured to Android for awhile was my lack of typing speed on the 9800/9810. The virtual keyboard and swiping on Swype seemed like attractive possibilities. My keyboard use morphed through several versions of Swiftkey, which may be the best virtual keyboard out there. But I write on and discuss a variety of subject areas regularly. Over time, autocorrect picks up all those. And, eventually, I found my typing slowing down to fix autocorrect mistakes. Some of the choices were REALLY off base. The Passport is much better at autocorrect, which adds to my typing speed.
    03-26-15 10:18 AM
    Cheers chaps, all replies much appreciated! The keyboard getting to know my typing style does seem to be a big factor in my improving speed. I'm a lot more confident with the keyboard now and that combined with getting used to swiping up will both thumbs does seem to have a significant effect on my typing efficiency.

Was also my first post on the Crackberry forums so thanks for chipping in, very cool to get such a positive response...
    03-26-15 03:08 PM
    Yes , it a bit slower that onscreen keyboard , but with much less mistakes - emails look more professional
    03-30-15 04:19 PM
    Yes , it a bit slower that onscreen keyboard , but with much less mistakes - emails look more professional
    Then it's not slower, is it? Once you include the time it takes to go back and correct the mistakes, you can't beat the speed of a real keyboard.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    03-31-15 09:49 AM
    Why blackberry don't put the flagship level hardware on classic? That is the real type machine
    03-31-15 12:26 PM
    Why blackberry don't put the flagship level hardware on classic? That is the real type machine
    Because then it would cost more. Price is a big deal, especially when a company buys them in quantity.

I do wish that there were several spec levels for the same model, though, like they had with the PlayBook.

03-31-15 07:27 PM
    I will offer a few comments as regard the passport keyboard (BB unlocked). I am amazed at the incredible utility of the capacitive feature which I believe to be under-utilized as many more gestures could be incorporated into it's tool set. Yet, I compare to my prior phone (HP Pre 3) with a much smaller keyboard, & I find, after 5 months, my accuracy is still beneath that prior keyboard. I feel part of the cause is the over-swipe as does occur when seeking keys. This is mitigated by keeping 2 thumbs in contact with the keyboard. I also feel the linear vertical alignment is a handicap; typewriters have the key rows offset. That said, my accuracy improved quite a bit over time; now it is almost at a plateau. I believe the offering of the curved design for the ATT model offered a good chance to redesign the keyboard; alas, they didn't do that. BB seems to be expert at missed opportunities.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    03-31-15 08:55 PM
    Because then it would cost more. Price is a big deal, especially when a company buys them in quantity.

I do wish that there were several spec levels for the same model, though, like they had with the PlayBook.

Obviously BB purchased too many specs, so Q10,Z10,Classic,Leap.......
    04-01-15 06:30 AM
66 123