It takes one month
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-24-15 01:29 PM
    And the Universe is doomed!

Posted via CB10
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-24-15 01:53 PM
    It depends the use, for me coming from the Z30 it took me two weeks to write as fast as before but I am typing on the phone about an hour daily.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    03-24-15 02:21 PM
    I went from Z10 to Passport 6 months ago.

To this day my typing is no where near as fast on Passport. I really wanted it to work for me. I love the specs and the screen.

However, I find the flicking much slower than slab because the eyes are distracted from the keyboard due to suggested word placement.

I find that when suggested words are directly above the letter, as on the Z10 or Z30, my typing is much faster.

I could type almost as fast on my Z10 as on my laptop.

So... after giving it a serious try for 6 months I'm going to Z30 after picking one up on the recent sale.

Posted via CB10
    AndrewOrlowski and weirdstuff like this.
    03-24-15 02:21 PM
    Practice makes perfect OP
    03-24-15 02:28 PM
    IMO, the virtual keyboard is always going to be faster because you don't need to push the keys all the way down.

I love the tactile feedback of the physical keyboard and without swiping, I am doing approximately 40wpm.

Posted via CB10
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-24-15 03:06 PM
    Yeah, kinda knew that the whole practice thing would be key, was just curious about other Passport users experience. I suspect that I'll never get as fast as I can be on a BlackBerry software keyboard but as long as I improve from the appalling snails pace I'm currently at I will consider it a win.

My latest frustration is that I'm constantly 'over-swiping' the predictions which means my thumbs brush up to the bottom of the screen which means I either capitalise the next word (left thumb) or extend the software keyboard entirely (right thumb) which does put me off my flow. Oh well, must keep practicing, thanks for the feedback guys.
    03-24-15 04:38 PM
    Yes, as he mentioned, go to that section in your settings and just removed the substitution from i -> I... however, that would eliminate the option in English which could be very handy... another possible solution for this substitution is once the auto correct changes the letter press delete twice and the previous letter (or word in that regard) corrected will come back...

Posted via CB10
    Thank you so much for the input on how to fix this. However, when I go into that section there is no listing of i>I. Guess I'll go about it the other way as you describe it. But "i" is very common in the swedish language, so it might be a bit annoying. For now, I just write without english checked. Guess one good thing is that it helps to maintain my english writing
    03-24-15 05:08 PM
    that's strange and i would say almost impossible (that you didn't find the word substitution from i --> I) because that's how the letter is changed, following that rule... are you sure you went to the right setting? if you delete that rule, the software won't do it...

Thank you so much for the input on how to fix this. However, when I go into that section there is no listing of i>I. Guess I'll go about it the other way as you describe it. But "i" is very common in the swedish language, so it might be a bit annoying. For now, I just write without english checked. Guess one good thing is that it helps to maintain my english writing
    03-24-15 08:01 PM
    I touch type very rapidly on a desktop keyboard... I believe the slower performance on the BlackBerry passport is the mental image of the keyboard layout which on a computer is offset beT,wEen rows while on the fone It is stacked vertically... I WONDER if anyone at BlackBerry has tested t,his hypothesis ? I must say, I doub,t, it... I WAS able to type much quicker on my HP Pre3 with a smaller layout.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 09:42 PM
    ...that said, I admire the capacitive keyboard feature which is under utilized... the prediction strip should be scalable & the virtual keyboard needs a buffer zone (toggle enabled) for the fat of fingers crowd... same goes for the long press cut/paste dialog... IMHO

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 09:48 PM
    I'm on a Z30 now, my production in typing is almost equal to my old 9780, only because of predictive qualities on the Z. Physical typing on the old PKB was much faster.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 09:50 PM
    ...and the payout of the numeric virtual pad is not good with the zero off to the top left & the decimal point all the way over to the right...

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 09:51 PM
    ...this passport is my first BlackBerry device...

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 09:52 PM
    I always loved physical keyboards, the Nokia n900 was the best typing device I ever used.

I have also noticed that I'm slow on the passport however being out of autocorrect hell is worth it.

Posted via CB10
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-24-15 11:50 PM
    I came from a Z10 to the Passport. One of my concerns was going back to a physical keyboard like I had on the 9810 Torch. I figured there would be an acclimation period, but that has not been the case. It has been a pretty seamless shift from virtual to physical keyboard.

Speed is about the same, but accuracy is greater with the Passport. Glad I made the switch. Glad my fears were unfounded.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 06:54 AM
    I 'think' I'm getting faster but only compared to my own slowness with this Passport device. Enjoying 'double-tap space bar' for full-stop and gap, just trying to avoid reaching up to the screen as this seems to be the major slowing down points in my typing. It's good to swipe down to extend software keys, would REALLY like it if you could swipe up again to shrink it, that would be sweet...
    03-25-15 03:29 PM
    I have had the Passport for 6 months and still type slower than with a 4 row keyboard - the real slow point is punctuation and the use of numbers.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 03:53 PM
    Has it made you consider another phone? Having it for six months is quite a long time, worth the slow-down on your typing...?
    03-25-15 04:32 PM
    I'm also struggling, having received a new Passport on Monday this week. Coming from a Z30 and iPhone 6+ for work, it s so much easier using both the other phones with a VK. I can't even figure out how to hold it properly, whether to use two thumbs or index fingers. I used to fly on my old 9900.

I'll keep practicing as many have suggested here. Must be old age setting in, lol

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MrVeda; 03-25-15 at 06:53 PM.
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-25-15 06:25 PM
    For me personally, I was a lot faster using my 9900. I find it a lot smoother and less thinking involved. But then again, I'm known to be old fashioned, LOL!

...Ten BlackBerrys and counting....
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-25-15 06:43 PM
    I'm faster on my Passport.

Only phone since my 8310 that I can type without looking at .

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    03-25-15 07:00 PM
    I struggled hard deciding between the Classic and the Z30 as my first BlackBerry was the Storm and my second was the Z10. I've never had a physical keyboard on a BlackBerry! However, I'm crazy stoked with the Classic right now. It's been a learning curve, but I actually get excited when I get to reply to an email or text.

#blackberryclassic
    03-25-15 07:05 PM
    To the OP, Patience grasshopper. Speed will come.

Posted via CB10
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-25-15 09:50 PM
    Stop worrying OP. You will get faster.

Posted via my AT&T BlackBerry Passport from Philadelphia
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-25-15 09:57 PM
66 123