Hi All :

After posting in several other related threads regarding this growing problem, I thought I'd start a new thread, given the recent developments from Blackberry. As a short recap, the issue will not allow the device to connect to a cell network and displays "Emergency Calls Only" on the home screen or "SOS" under the network status.

After reaching out the Blackberry through a "back channel" (don't ask !) I am now in direct two-way contact with Blackberry Tech Support. I have already had two calls with them, running through various troubleshooting tasks and have sent them system logs and several related screenshots. I am scheduled to have another call with them tomorrow which may reveal some results from the data I sent them last week. I will provide updates as they occur.

Although I had to circumvent the regular support procedures, which I found very unhelpful, they have now come to the table and seem to be very interested in solving this problem. Of course I hope that my situation is resolved but, I also hope my technical explorations will help the other folks affected by this fault.

After initially experiencing a fair degree of frustration with this situation, I believe Blackberry will follow through and demonstrate they are the quality company we all know them to be.
    09-18-17 03:45 PM
    Hi All :

After posting in several other related threads regarding this growing problem, I thought I'd start a new thread, given the recent developments from Blackberry. As a short recap, the issue will not allow the device to connect to a cell network and displays "Emergency Calls Only" on the home screen or "SOS" under the network status.

After reaching out the Blackberry through a "back channel" (don't ask !) I am now in direct two-way contact with Blackberry Tech Support. I have already had two calls with them, running through various troubleshooting tasks and have sent them system logs and several related screenshots. I am scheduled to have another call with them tomorrow which may reveal some results from the data I sent them last week. I will provide updates as they occur.

Although I had to circumvent the regular support procedures, which I found very unhelpful, they have now come to the table and seem to be very interested in solving this problem. Of course I hope that my situation is resolved but, I also hope my technical explorations will help the other folks affected by this fault.

After initially experiencing a fair degree of frustration with this situation, I believe Blackberry will follow through and demonstrate they are the quality company we all know them to be.
    If things work out... share your experience, and the support number they gave you.

Was you phone under warranty?
    09-18-17 03:52 PM
    If things work out... share your experience, and the support number they gave you.

Was you phone under warranty?
    I can't share the direct number or email address of my assigned contact, but I have committed to share the results of the endeavour with the CB community. My device is not in warranty and is just over two years old.

Will keep this thread updated.
    09-18-17 04:25 PM
    I have received a response from Blackberry tech support after sending in logs and screenshots. While this was always a low probability of success, but you always have hopes of an altruistic response from the company you respect.

Blackberry was able to determine/confirm that my device did have a hardware defect, they are unable to provide any support in the repair of the device. Also, hoping for some extraordinary goodwill in the form of them replacing the device, was simply not within their scope of authority.

I have a "Plan B", which I have already launched.

Stand by for additional updates.
    09-21-17 05:16 PM
    Good job. But I just can't believe they will have a solution other than give us a new one. It is a hardware failure, I think

Posted via CB10
    09-25-17 11:31 PM
    No warranty and over two years old? Good luck with that.
    09-25-17 11:43 PM
    Have been reading about this issue about a year back. Finally it's my turn to experience it myself. I have not found any solution yet, I am also sure, those people with the problem have ditched the phone by now. Hope you find a solution fast to share with us.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-17 08:26 PM
    I have now resolved this issue by acquiring a used Passport and have transferred the SIM card over. While not the solution I wanted, it at least will allow me to use a Passport and all my accessories at a reasonable price ($150 with unlocking) . Further, I now have a complete device for parts, less whatever is wrong with the network connectivity.

This issue remains a mystery from a technical perspective, though Blackberry did indicate it was the SIM tray at fault.

Now I just have to hope this device does not suddenly get the "emergency calls only" flu like the last one !
    10-22-17 08:08 PM