Nice speculation and photoshop, but no.

Picture is of the actual hardware. Not the final hardware though. :P

The first thing I noticed when I looked at that weird@ss picture that was "leaked" is that it was a photo that had been stretched horizontally.

Personally I think it's a hoax.

If that's the way that Blackberry prototypes new devices, it is extremely embarrassing and I feel really badly for them.
    02-21-14 08:29 PM
    If it's a real prototype, it was probably just a proof of concept internal prototype, not a manufacturing prototype.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 08:34 PM
    Why can't they just release the Z30 with a physical keyboard similar to the Q10? Seems simple enough philosophy.Space the keys out a tad and use the same interface.
    02-21-14 11:37 PM
    The biggest problem I have with the Q10 is the square screen. It limits the apps that can run on the phone. Apps like Kindle, Autumn Dynasty, and AP mobile are in BlackBerry world but not for the Q10 because of the aspect ratio. If BlackBerry went with a standard 16:9 aspect ratio with a 4" screen I would be so happy it would widen the phone only slightly to bring it more in line with the width of the Z30 and while it would make the phone taller as long as they weight it correctly with most of the weight towards the bottom of the keyboard it won't be difficult to use.

I hear a lot of people talking about a slide BlackBerry and I'm not opposed to the idea but if their going to do it then they should do it well and make it big enough. Since they could easly make a full QWERTY candy bar phone (as described above) they would need to make it much bigger than a 4" screen to make it worth it. I say if BlackBerry does a slider it needs to be around the 5" mark. As long as they don't make the mistake they did on the Torch and make it to top heavy. They would need to make the screen as light and thin as they can and have a proper counter weight with/in the keyboard. Bottom heavy phones work top heavy phones don't. And for those of you who haven't figure it out yet yes I am talking about a portrait slider. Landscape sliders just make no sense as you have to take so much time moving the phone from potrait (the way most people use their phone most of the time) to landscape mode to use the keyboard. Potrait slider you just flick the keyboard open and go to town.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 12:33 AM
    You might think you're a genius with the proportions but look at the proportions of the BlackBerry logo. C'mon. Unless the photo itself is completely 'shopped, you're out of luck, the BlackBerry logo on the front and back of the original photos are in proportion, even on the wide body.
    02-22-14 01:28 AM
    I think this is it guys. The final production model will look slightly better.

The surprise will be how it works.

I think its quite innovative

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    deptech likes this.
    02-22-14 03:52 AM

I hear a lot of people talking about a slide BlackBerry and I'm not opposed to the idea but if their going to do it then they should do it well and make it big enough. Since they could easly make a full QWERTY candy bar phone (as described above) they would need to make it much bigger than a 4" screen to make it worth it. I say if BlackBerry does a slider it needs to be around the 5" mark.
    I disagree. The purpose of a slider design would be to make the device COMPACT. Thus, it should not have any bigger than a 4" screen. If they came out with a 5" slider, as much as I would want one, I simply would not be able to buy it due to size constraints. If it doesn't fit in normal front jeans pockets, it's a no sale.
    02-22-14 10:24 AM
    How is someone going to make a phone call using the keyboard if there is no zero button? I want a phone first and the smart part of the phone comes in second.
    02-22-14 11:18 AM
    How is someone going to make a phone call using the keyboard if there is no zero button? I want a phone first and the smart part of the phone comes in second.
    My sentiments as well. If a smartphone cannot make/receive calls efficiently, clearly, and do the PIM standards properly ... no amount of apps hardware specs nor features will get me to purchase it. I feel into that trap before with the A 3GS model.
    02-22-14 11:40 AM
    I still don't get how this will work unless there is a display under the keys with the keys being transparent so each key can change what it does just like a virtual keyboard. The frets could display words and the keys be touch sensitive for flicking as well. Now that would be awesome.

Is this what is being described or am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by matt4pack; 02-22-14 at 12:09 PM.
    02-22-14 11:48 AM
    Aren't they talking about the swiping keyboard? I think the swiping part is in the space bar.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    The space bar could very well be the trackpad brought back by popular demand. If you click it while composing a message it'll insert a space. In any other part of the OS it could be used as the trackpad we've all come to love!
    podes2204 likes this.
    02-22-14 12:10 PM
    works for me!
    02-22-14 12:17 PM
    I disagree. The purpose of a slider design would be to make the device COMPACT. Thus, it should not have any bigger than a 4" screen. If they came out with a 5" slider, as much as I would want one, I simply would not be able to buy it due to size constraints. If it doesn't fit in normal front jeans pockets, it's a no sale.
    Look at the specs of the Moto x -4.7 inch screen and same phone size as a Z10. BB just needs a good design. I might say "for a change".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    02-22-14 01:42 PM
    I'm a bit concerned, just hope that I can adapt to that very weird spacebar position... Otherwise Blackberry realy is trying to reinvent the physical keyboard, and I think it could be a gamechanger if done right
    02-22-14 05:00 PM
    Looks top heavy

Posted via my awesome Z30!
    02-22-14 06:59 PM
    Most people whose first smart phone was an iPhone or all touch phone are very quick typists. Kids are incredibly fast on their virtual keyboards. Ultimately physical keyboard phones are for those who need them.

My first smartphone was an iPhone 3G. I got it in middle school for getting good grades. Whenever I type on a touchscreen, it's nothing but errors for me! They're too thin. I can really grab onto my Q10 and pound out messages accurately and quickly. It's difficult to look at the keyboard and look at the text to make sure I don't make a typo whereas with the Q10 I only have to look at the screen (or not look at anything on my phone as I type!) so I don't make a typo.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    02-23-14 12:07 AM
    Look at the specs of the Moto x -4.7 inch screen and same phone size as a Z10. BB just needs a good design. I might say "for a change".

Yeap good phone hardware design, a couple of cool innovations feature wise, BlackBerry 10.3 with updated UI and we'll have a BlackBerry we'll be proud to show off.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    02-23-14 09:02 AM
    One very ugly phone. Lack of imagination. Square biscuit. I would not hold it up to my ear, kind of embarrassing if this is the Q30.
    The Dev Alpha A and Dev Alpha B were like this, they're not production models.

The Z family is still a snooze fest though.
    02-23-14 09:21 PM
    Really? That would be my ideal phone. It would be a HUGE mistake to make a slider and have it be another Torch.

02-24-14 07:51 AM
    quiestbml, your render is beautiful. This is what the Q10 should have been all along. I would buy this phone.
    02-24-14 09:06 AM
    Seeing the darker space bar that's my theory as well. And I'm taking it a step further and predicting that the keys will be like an e ink screen or whatever(each key an individual display). So they don't use battery to stay letters or symbols. Only to update them. It would be a very interesting design but I think the traditional keyboards would be better. We shall see.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe the spacebar is also a trackpad...
    OOOOHHHHHHHHHHH

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 10:56 PM
    Hey everyone! As we all know, the following image was posted the other day:

http://crackberry.com/sites/crackber...-prototype.jpg

So, with all of the talk lately of the Windermere/Q30/DevAlphaD, and the leaked images, two things concerned me.

Firstly: Why would blackberry, which has maintained its iconic keyboard for god knows how long, suddenly change the proportions of the keys, and furthermore abandon their traditional typeface?

Secondly: If that keyboard IS correctly displayed in the pictures, then the device is far wider than the Q10, which would make it unwieldy. Think that large, ugly 4:3 LG android phone that came out a year or two ago. Furthermore, the size of the power plug (standard MicroUSB) seems to indicate that it is in fact the SAME width as the Q10.

So, I adjusted the proportions in photoshop with a quick width scale, and made the following image (important here is the front pic, not the back, which I adjusted for the third picture)

Attachment 249676

Now, a few problems arise with that. Firstly, the blackberry logos are no longer correctly proportioned. How can this be explained? Well, my theory is this: the leaker of those images, being in a position where he was able to see/photograph something VERY FEW PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT, wanted to leak an image of a new smartphone to get people excited, but didn't want to spill all the beans just yet. He wanted to save a few surprises for later. So he played around quite a bit with the proportions, and we got the resultant image.

In order to roll back those adjustments, I spent a few more minutes in photoshop, and created the following:

Attachment 249675

Now, a few things (in my opinion) confirm what I held to be true: Firstly, as noted by another forum member, the Q30 prototype seems to use the Z10 camera sensor. Well, rotated and scaled up a tiny bit, the proportions are correct ONLY when the original Windermere image has been edited. Secondly, the Q10 image that I displayed alongside the other two confirms that the keys are now the correct proportions. And finally, when scaled, the Q10 top speaker fits perfectly in the space occupied by the top speaker on the Windermere image. BlackBerry re-used quite a few parts to rapidly prototype this thing.

In terms of how the keyboard now functions, I have a theory: When a text entry field is selected, a number row pops up on the screen, in place of a full virtual keyboard. That number row has a symbols button, that when pressed, opens the full symbols menu as an on-screen keyboard.

This isn't another cheap, Foxconn device.
    I believe this is an in-house prototype that was used to not only test the aspect ratio (4:3 I believe) for the Q30, but also to test the innovative physical/virtual keyboard hybrid that will be used for the upcoming device.

Finally, I believe the screen to be 4" diagonal, and the resolution to be either 1080x1440 or more probably, 720x960.

End thoughts.

EDIT: Here's a rendering of what such a phone could look like as a production model.
    Attachment 249692

I love this design I like how it works with the Z30 design its really pretty I give it 10 out of 5 lol
    Bratza likes this.
    02-25-14 09:52 AM
    I keep coming back to this thread and look at this concept phone! I simply love it!!

It looks so goood, smaller keyboard, maybe trackpad on space bar,, mmmm

This would be the best blackberry i could wish for!

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 04:53 PM
    I edited it a little. The front camera is to close to the edge and doesn't match the rest of the bb10 phones I also have added frets to the back because that's what it should look like lol
    Windermere is the Q30, and it's not what you expect.-img_20140226_154111.png

Posted via CB10 via My Q10
    02-27-14 04:57 PM
    I edited it a little. The front camera is to close to the edge and doesn't match the rest of the bb10 phones I also have added frets to the back because that's what it should look like lol
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140226_154111.png 
Views:	1342 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	251414

Posted via CB10 via My Q10
    My Z30 needs a new friend. This would be perfect.
    02-27-14 06:06 PM
108 ... 2345