I don't see how a virtual keyboard could possibly be better than a full physical keyboard. I understand predictive texting and all that.
    However, I need/want a physical button to push, for a variety of reasons that I have mentioned elsewhere.

That said, if the Windermere isn't the model for me, hopefully they will release a full QWERTY slider phone after that.

Who says you will need a swipe though, we have already seen in the full-touch devices that they can pop up an additional row of numbers on certain text fields, so who is to say that on this device we won't see one row of numbers and one row of symbols pop up on the screen, for those symbols in that row it would be quicker than a q10 and for those not in that row it would be a little slower so things should average out slightly in favour of this new keyboard for most people.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-20-14 09:01 AM
    I don't quite understand all the hate for a keyboard that will likely be quite good--it's Blackberry after all.

Capitalize a character? Hold down the key like today.
    Need to enter a period and don't want to double-click the spacebar? Maybe you swipe up on M (shift) and then click M again.
    Need to enter a percent? Swipe down on P (sym) and click P again.

Still all within the realm of touch-typing and not having to glance at the screen to choose a value--although I'm sure that's possible for accents or what-not.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    05-20-14 11:21 AM
    I have nerve damage in my hands. Can hardly type well even with a physical keyboard. I just want a normal keyboard. Physical keys are easier to find not to mention that, for some reason, it actually hurts the ends of my fingers to try to type on virtual keyboards.

I know I'm an exception, but I have had exchanges with countless people who acknowledge that swiping and so on is great for some people, but they just want their sturdy, reliable, easy-to-use physical keyboards. No swipes. No virtual keyboards. Just a wonderful, dependable, solid Blackberry keyboard.

I don't quite understand all the hate for a keyboard that will likely be quite good--it's Blackberry after all.

Capitalize a character? Hold down the key like today.
    Need to enter a period and don't want to double-click the spacebar? Maybe you swipe up on M (shift) and then click M again.
    Need to enter a percent? Swipe down on P (sym) and click P again.

Still all within the realm of touch-typing and not having to glance at the screen to choose a value--although I'm sure that's possible for accents or what-not.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-20-14 12:16 PM
    There has been a lot of press about the Windermere, and not much at all about the "Classic" phone that's supposed to be released later this year.

It makes me wonder if possibly the Windermere might be released soon. That and the fact that apparently cases are already available.

Has anyone heard anything off the record, about possible release dates, like maybe this summer?

Sadly, I'm an AT&T customer, which likely means that the AT&T release is likely the initial release plus at least 18 months.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-20-14 12:20 PM
    I feel like with this model BlackBerry is trying to force those of us who love keyboards into a more touch typing experience. F*** that. If I didn't want a full keyboard, numbers and symbols included, I'd just buy a Z30...

Posted via my Q10, USA
    Tim Heard and rai187 like this.
    05-20-14 04:16 PM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Can't blackberry just produce a top of the line qwerty with the iconic bold 9900 keyboard, and bigger screen, awesome camera and the latest BlackBerry os?

There has to be a strong market for this....

I for one would give away my z30,z10,q10 for THIS!!

Nothing beats the bold 9900 keyboard!!!!

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    05-31-14 01:23 AM
    ...........Nothing beats the bold 9900 keyboard!!!!

Posted via CB10
    We all agree the ergonomic keyboard BB9900 is the fastest typing phone period. .....but some just don't get it, because some people never learn how to type.
    05-31-14 08:21 AM
    We all agree the ergonomic keyboard BB9900 is the fastest typing phone period. .....but some just don't get it, because some people never learn how to type.
    I had the 9900, 9630, 8830, and plenty of Treos before that. Thought I would never do all touch. I was very proficient with the 9900 keyboard but now after using the Z10 for over a year I value the screen real estate and can type just as fast. Only thing I lost was ability to type while driving, which I shouldn't be doing anyway. Also the 9900 was the first device I had where the keys start stuttering, and the optical trackpads had issues on all the devices I used with them. I no longer have to worry about those issues with the Z10. So there are prior avid PKB users who don't want to go back.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Reed Richards and Mr4aces like this.
    05-31-14 09:07 AM
    People who who want or need a physical keyboard with all the up graded specs will get the classic. I suspect that the Windemere is going to have a kind of hybrid pressure sensitive touch screen.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 11:00 AM
    People who who want or need a physical keyboard with all the up graded specs will get the classic. I suspect that the Windemere is going to have a kind of hybrid pressure sensitive touch screen.

Posted via CB10
    Classic doesn't have updated specs..

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 01:50 PM
    I think keyboard without symbols like touch screen
    I don't like this idea I love symbols on my keyboard

CB10 - Q5 -10.3.0.296/441 (radio)
    locke7 and snapexp like this.
    05-31-14 02:31 PM
    My concern is that the intent is to rely on a virtual keyboard for all numbers and symbols, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a real physical keyboard. If I wanted to use the screen for typing, then I'd go ahead and buy a Z30.
    I totally agree with you on this, having a physical keyboard device without symbols and digits printed on the keys and a misplaced spacebar is like buying a Lamborghini without their iconic gearbox..

You get yourself a gorgeous supercar that makes you look fantastic, you get a valueable design piece, a very powerful engine, a confortable interior, but you lack the feature that was the reason why Lamborghini exists in the first place.

I hope you guys can understand once and for all why we are standing against that keyboard we saw on the leaked picture.
    06-02-14 12:03 AM
    If this is what the successor to the Q10 looks like I will buy the next iphone, simple as that... And I've been loyal to BlackBerry since 2008.

Posted via my Q10, USA
    snapexp likes this.
    06-02-14 05:53 AM
    To make its footprint as small as possible and maximize the size of the device's screen!
    The device will be shorter than it might have been with a conventional keyboard is all. The screen is square so the type of keyboard used is not relevant to the size of the screen. Maybe we might see a Q30 with a conventional keyboard later and offered at a lower price point. I am concerned about the Keyboard though. They need to avoid a Storm like debacle.
    06-02-14 09:38 AM
    Ok... leaked pics of the Windermere online (see N4BB or CB news)!
    3450mAH battery: nice!
    Capacitive keyboard: very nice (I'm so curious how they want to implement the flicking words feature)
    12mp Camera: very nice!

BUT...
    What hell of an ugly design... the square look, they way the camera is integrated, the dimension of the keyboard in comparison to the screen size and last but not least: the materials (ok that's sth they can change)!

I cannot think about how I can hold and type on this device...

What do you think?

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    06-02-14 01:00 PM
    Another thing I'm disappointed about is the 2MP camera in the front, I think it should be at least 5 :c

Posted via CB10
    moegh likes this.
    06-02-14 02:57 PM
    I keep hoping that the keyboard will be LED and the letters will change to numbers or symbols with a swipe

Posted via CB10
    moegh, Vorkosigan, rai187 and 1 others like this.
    06-02-14 04:11 PM
    I keep hoping that the keyboard will be LED and the letters will change to numbers or symbols with a swipe

Posted via CB10
    Oh that will be great! I don't know why blackberry want to remove the numbers and symbols

CB10 - Q5 -10.3.0.296/441 (radio)
    slade632 likes this.
    06-02-14 04:28 PM
    Ok... leaked pics of the Windermere online (see N4BB or CB news)!
    3450mAH battery: nice!
    Capacitive keyboard: very nice (I'm so curious how they want to implement the flicking words feature)
    12mp Camera: very nice!

BUT...
    What hell of an ugly design... the square look, they way the camera is integrated, the dimension of the keyboard in comparison to the screen size and last but not least: the materials (ok that's sth they can change)!

I cannot think about how I can hold and type on this device...

What do you think?

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    Two thumb typing.

Posted via CB10
    Phazn likes this.
    06-02-14 04:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    Now that would be slick. I've gotten very used to the little down swipe on my Z10 to change quickly to symbols.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 11:12 PM
    Another thing I'm disappointed about is the 2MP camera in the front, I think it should be at least 5 :c

Posted via CB10
    I think I can count how many times I've used that camera... Yep, 0...
    06-03-14 01:46 AM
    Can someone explain to me the rationale behind just having letters on the
    new Windermere keyboard, and not symbols too?
    I think that's a concept... the real design is a secret and the phone a "chocker", the best one BB ever produced!!

BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    06-03-14 02:19 AM
    OK. I looked up "chocker" in a couple of places, and none of the definitions I found fit this context.
    Whatever the meaning, I'm with you in hoping that it's the best design ever produced!
    (Or at least that the photos we are seeing are some sort of beta version that have yet to be fleshed out with aesthetic and practical finishing touches.)

I think that's a concept... the real design is a secret and the phone a "chocker", the best one BB ever produced!!

BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-03-14 08:03 AM
    No, I think that this is the design but that in person and in your hand it will be fine.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 12:37 PM
    I think I can count how many times I've used that camera... Yep, 0...
    Yeah well that's you, the large majority of people I know do

Posted via CB10
    SmileDahling likes this.
    06-03-14 03:27 PM
84 1234