I bought the SE months ago, and now it seems like BlackBerry is dumping the OS... I know it's strictly business, and I'm okay with it, but if they stop updating BlackBerry10 , will they give us an Android system? I mean I've only had the device for less than half a year, and if you stop updating the OS ,it's only a matter of time before it becomes useless.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 09:14 PM
    I bought the SE months ago, and now it seems like BlackBerry is dumping the OS... I know it's strictly business, and I'm okay with it, but if they stop updating BlackBerry10 , will they give us an Android system? I mean I've only had the device for less than half a year, and if you stop updating the OS ,it's only a matter of time before it becomes useless.

Posted via CB10
    Don't hold your breath.
    11-12-15 09:29 PM
    No.....they would not be upgrading you to Android.
    The hardware is not designed for Android software. And I doubt Android would re write the OS to work on BB10 devices.

What they will do is support BB10 for a while. And than when they decide there's not enough users left on BB10 devices they will dump it and say move on people.

Just like they did with the older BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 09:31 PM
    I'm actually interested in what will happen to phones running BB10.

Would it really matter if they stopped updating the os? For me personally, I think the os does everything I need it to do, so I wouldn't be too concerned about not getting any new features.

Assuming we can continue to use our phones the way some people continue to use bbos7, would it make that much of a difference if BlackBerry moved on to android?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 09:35 PM
    I'm much more interested on Priv running BB10 lol
    beamolite likes this.
    11-12-15 09:50 PM
    I would be concerned if Passports android running software becomes outdated and BlackBerry doesn't update that to continue with the face paced updates to Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 09:59 PM
    I bought the SE months ago, and now it seems like BlackBerry is dumping the OS... ]
    BlackBerry has actually said the quite opposite. They have at least 2 more versions to come,.. and I would assume that BB10 will outlive your Passport
    Cesare Rozzisi likes this.
    11-12-15 10:02 PM
    I'm really hoping BlackBerry will create an Android ROM for Passport. I love this device and the hub, but I'm done with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 10:12 PM
    I'm really hoping BlackBerry will create an Android ROM for Passport. I love this device and the hub, but I'm done with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Supposedly on Priv the hubs kind of lost. Not fully, but they can't replicate it the same on Android as they have on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 10:26 PM
    BlackBerry has actually said the quite opposite. They have at least 2 more versions to come,.. and I would assume that BB10 will outlive your Passport
    All that is coming are patches. Not versions.
    11-12-15 11:51 PM
    Would be nice if they could at lease get full Google play store support... and a bit better integration of android apps... like bb10 as an os but BlackBerry world is severely lacking!

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 03:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry hasn't updated OS5 in years, but if you turned on an old Bold, it would call, text, email, BBM and browse the Web just like your Passport does (though on 3G). Same with OS6 and 7.

BlackBerry has said they'll continue to support BlackBerry 10 and bring security updates/patches/fixes etc. Governments and businesses have thousands of BlackBerry 10 devices deployed, so BlackBerry simply cannot cease support for the OS.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 04:02 AM
    No.....they would not be upgrading you to Android.
    The hardware is not designed for Android software. And I doubt Android would re write the OS to work on BB10 devices.

What they will do is support BB10 for a while. And than when they decide there's not enough users left on BB10 devices they will dump it and say move on people.

Just like they did with the older BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    well, that's not true.
    Hardware is compatible with Android.
    11-13-15 04:14 AM
    well, that's not true.
    Hardware is compatible with Android.
    You need to read up on hardware of computing device and how they work with an software.
    The embedded kernel checks on Passport hardware will not allow for a simple switch from BB10 to Android. Or that's what I get out of past articles from BlackBerry regarding there Hardware.

So the Hardware maybe suitable to run Android, but the Android OS would still need to be re written so it can work properly on Passport hardware.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 05:22 AM
    Would be nice if they could at lease get full Google play store support... and a bit better integration of android apps... like bb10 as an os but BlackBerry world is severely lacking!

Posted via CB10
    They wouldn't have released an Android phone if they had that.
    11-13-15 06:09 AM
    You need to read up on hardware of computing device and how they work with an software.
    The embedded kernel checks on Passport hardware will not allow for a simple switch from BB10 to Android. Or that's what I get out of past articles from BlackBerry regarding there Hardware.

So the Hardware maybe suitable to run Android, but the Android OS would still need to be re written so it can work properly on Passport hardware.

Posted via CB10
    yes.
    but that's the big difference from the "hardware not suitable for android".
    11-13-15 07:11 AM
    They will want you to buy the Vienna. The Vienna is what the Passport and Classic should have been . We might see a native no runtime. BB10 version of the Vienna.

In the mean time get the Cobalt solution if you need apps. You should get a decent two more years out of your device.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 07:19 AM
    If I see another one of these threads I will scream!

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 07:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think bb10 will be useless but rather kept a option if people prefer to use it such as myself. I ain't a android user and unless I am forced to use it I will have to adjust. With priv comes with android but really it is to attract more customers to the blackberry hardware since many want apps and for those who want a blackberry device while wanting the android.

I highly doubt they will abandon bb10 after all the research.

Passport/CB10 on Bell
    11-13-15 08:53 AM
    BlackBerry hasn't updated OS5 in years, but if you turned on an old Bold, it would call, text, email, BBM and browse the Web just like your Passport does (though on 3G). Same with OS6 and 7.

BlackBerry has said they'll continue to support BlackBerry 10 and bring security updates/patches/fixes etc. Governments and businesses have thousands of BlackBerry 10 devices deployed, so BlackBerry simply cannot cease support for the OS.

Posted via CB10
    I've been saying this for months, but people are still sprouting bull**** about it being EOL. They can't even shut down the legacy BBs because Obama and many critical instances like him are still using them. Same as BB10. No new models and only maintenance update, yes, but not shut down whatsoever. People can still fire up ALL of their BBOS and BB10 devices and using them as usual, even download from the app stores--albeit limited in options, but the core software are all there and functional.

It's sad, and I HATE the fact that BB has to ***** itself to Android to make a profit, but...

And no, I'm not supporting priv blahblah. No. I'm stick with BB10 and BBOS.
    11-13-15 11:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    What in the world are you talking about?

11-13-15 12:20 PM
    What in the world are you talking about?

Read up on blackberry and the hardware on their devices.
    Read up on how Kernels and hardware security can be set up to work together.

For Android to run on BB10 devices. Two things would have to be done.
    Replace all the internal parts that BlackBerry has set up with kernal security checks.
    Or completely re write Android at the kernal level to recognize the security checks.

Also, show someone using a Passport while they go to phones settings and than to about the phone. Not some third party app that can be easily manipulated in many different ways to give you what you want to see.

Not a single video shows anyone going to setting and than to about phone.
    Why? It would totally reveal what OS they are really running.

Do you also believe Wikipedia is a reliable source for credible information?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 02:17 PM
    Read up on blackberry and the hardware on their devices.
    Read up on how Kernels and hardware security can be set up to work together.

For Android to run on BB10 devices. Two things would have to be done.
    Replace all the internal parts that BlackBerry has set up with kernal security checks.
    Or completely re write Android at the kernal level to recognize the security checks.

Also, show someone using a Passport while they go to phones settings and than to about the phone. Not some third party app that can be easily manipulated in many different ways to give you what you want to see.

Not a single video shows anyone going to setting and than to about phone.
    Why? It would totally reveal what OS they are really running.

Do you also believe Wikipedia is a reliable source for credible information?

Posted via CB10
    Kernel work has been part of my life's work. You have no idea what you're talking about.
    11-13-15 02:41 PM
    Kernel work has been part of my life's work. You have no idea what you're talking about.
    Do you understand how BlackBerry secures the OS to the hardware?
    11-13-15 03:11 PM
    If that was so true, you wouldn't have referenced such a bad video clip.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 07:59 PM