Clearly, the Passport has been a runaway success for blackberry, at least in terms of buzz, excitement, and yes sales. I wonder if that's going to cannibalize the sales of the classic? Maybe Blackberry thought that the classic would be the best chance at a runaway success, and that the passport would just be a niche product? Could they have gotten it backwards? Might Blackberry face big write-downs on on Classic inventory that erase the (financial) success of the passport because they backed the wrong horse?

3 physical keyboard oriented phones in a very short time interval (porsche, passport and classic), seems like it might not have been the best choice for what may be a fairly small part of the market (fans of physical keyboards on phones).

But then again, maybe there are a lot of people who really want something like the classic and find the passport too unwieldy. Maybe the success of the passport will make blackberry seem relevant again and make some old blackberry users who miss their physical keyboards seriously consider returning to the fold.

Of course this is just speculation, but I wondered if anyone had any opinions?
    10-10-14 06:14 AM
    I do not think and see the question differently - will a "significantly larger than Q10 classic" hurt the sales of the classic?
    10-10-14 06:34 AM
    I have wondered this too. I thought I was a classic man right until the morning the passport went on sale. I am intrigued with the toolbelt. Loved that on my 9900 and constantly missed it on my q5

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 06:40 AM
    From what I gather. The Classic will be a low-cost familiar experience-BB10 device. Yet again this will be targeted at enterprise. However well it does with end users, like the Passport, Could just be another surprise.

The way BBRY are handling inventory at the moment should ensure if the classic doesn't sell like the Passport, the damage will be minimal. I'm sure enterprise that have stuck with BBRY will jump on them if the price is right.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 06:50 AM
    I have been thinking the same as the OP. I don't think the classic will be anything more than Q10 type sales. Or at least that is my worry. Sure more sales of classic in the enterprise if they price it cheaper. But I worry it won't be as big a deal as JC thinks it will be.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 06:55 AM
    IMO, all three devices (Passport, Porsche, Classic) has quite a different market.

Passport mainly focuses on business segment, those who need their phone to stay productive anytime. Thus the specs and battery life.

Porsche mainly focuses on some socialites, or those who like having a 'Whoaa' attention as people know the price.

Classic mainly focuses on those who love the BBOS device and wants the toolbelt they can't get in Q series. Specs is not number one priority for those who aim Classic.

Each device has their pros and cons, and each device has their own market. This has been thought by BBRY, they give customers choice by giving 'minus' on each device (put " as the Passport's keyboard is both loved and hated by consumers).

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-10-14 07:00 AM
    I have wondered this too. I thought I was a classic man right until the morning the passport went on sale. I am intrigued with the toolbelt. Loved that on my 9900 and constantly missed it on my q5

Posted via CB10
    Plus one to this.

I used a Bold 9900 for over 3 years and was holding out for the Classic, but the more I learned about the specs of the Classic and the Passport I became a passport convert and got on last week.

No regrets whatsoever, it is an amazing device and I have had no trouble adapting to it.

never thought that I would say that I do not miss the toolbelt, but I don't !!!
    Ecm likes this.
    10-10-14 07:03 AM
    Classic is going to be a entry level business device to try to convert over BBOS holdouts to BB10 and BES12. It will have small screen and two year old internals. I expect pricing to be Curve like too, not Bold/Q10 launch priced. Passport is a technology showcase device to show off how a PKB device can have a large screen, and how a PKB can be made more useful via capacitive touch so it isn't a considered a "loss" of valuable screen real estate. The Passport has been years in the making, the Classic is a reactionary device based on the failure of the Q10 which was supposedly going to have huge sales due to it being the first BB10PKB device BlackBerry offered. BB10 hasn't failed so far because of lack of tool belt, it failed because BlackBerry didn't differentiate it BBOS and the negativity built up because of BBOS devices and how they performed. Two very different devices and two very different reasons for development.

I personally don't think the Classic will be a huge sales device as the Passport has addressed the issues/ shortcomings with the BB10 PKB devices, and/or the rest of us PKB users got converted with the Z line to VKB.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    10-10-14 07:12 AM
    If the Passport will have such a success that will dent BlackBerry Classic sales, it would be the greatest news for BlackBerry.

It would mean that they managed to have yet again an innovative device at the forefront of the mobile market.
    10-10-14 07:23 AM
    I hope they don't overpriced the classic.. 300-500 imo is a good price point

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 07:33 AM
    LOL. I don't think that they care.

BlackBerry wins no matter what device is bought. As long as they don't buy a competitors product

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 07:52 AM
    IMHO the Classic has its own market very close to people that uses Q10 and old BlackBerry devices and wait for it. I think PP was made for those like to risk their standards, just more and more Z10 and Z30 are wanting to test it.

Everybody when sees PP make reaction comments like 'it's big, amazing,ugly,etc'. But frankly speaking if people did not have been surprised with Q10...the Classic....its so classic. Nobody (iOS,android,WP users) will put an eye on it like PP is making.
    10-10-14 08:37 AM
    Passport's success???

On what basis?

Nothing like counting your chickens before they are hatched is there?

You've got to love the unrestrained optimism of love blinded fan boys.
    10-10-14 08:57 AM
    Au contraire! Its gonna target the older os7 users as they need functionality of the toolbelt. The general consensus I've discovered just even on this forum that older users are not willing to use the swipe,tap and flick motions.

So it's for them however. But it's also a great device for anyone transitioning over from ios and android.

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.738
    10-10-14 12:07 PM
    There's enough space for everybody

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 12:08 PM
    Which device makes the most profit is what matters. If a would be Classic buyer goes for the pricier Passport, that would be great, more money for Blackberry.
    Also releasing the Passport first is great move, it is more attention grabbing than the Classic. It will draw and keep the media and people's eyes on Blackberry while the Classic is being release. Free advertising for the Classic.
    10-10-14 12:46 PM
    Totally different target consumers, I think this should be obvious by the pricing. Also many people still prefer the traditional belt thing on the Classic, so plenty of opportunities still for the classic I believe, especially in 3rd world countries.
    10-11-14 05:47 AM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Both the Passport and the Classic will prove to be huge successes , far exceeding Blackberry expectations, IMO

There is huge pent up demand for many to return to this form factor.

Phone 5 / Z10 ----> awesome Passport

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 06:16 AM
    I am off track but replying to a response earlier. My opinion enterprises that have bbos still will not jump on the classic. My reasoning is when I have asked IT folks at big company's ( I'm a fiber broadband engineer) why they are still on bbos I get " the cost to upgrade to Bes10 is expensive or I haven't seen a BlackBerry rep in years" it stuff like this why a lot of companies are not on BlackBerry 10. More proactive customers are on it but IT guys don't want to have to search and work to make it happen BlackBerry needs to bring back field reps. I had a friend that used to be a BlackBerry field rep and he said they all got laid off. Hmmm they are needed

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 06:50 AM
    No my wife will get the classic, she really need a keyboard, She is using the Z10 but she dislike touchscreens keyboards
    10-11-14 06:55 AM