It is possible to run MacOS, Windows and Linux on same hardware so there is no reason for running Android on Passport.
    On the other hand it is more complex to run Android apps now.

Posted via CB10
    Nothing in your post makes any sense at all.
    alb101 and zombiecupcake like this.
    09-19-15 03:02 PM
    As long as they keep making the Passport. I really like the phone.

Posted via CB10
    I'm waiting for the one with the snapdragon 808 64bit or better, preferably an all touch but I'll rock a PKB if I have to.

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.2.1.2156
    09-19-15 03:08 PM
    Here we go again. Stop asking this question. No one ******* knows the answer.
    09-19-15 03:20 PM
    Hey guys has anyone heard of the passport being updated to Android?
    Is BB10 dead? am I going to cry? Is life real?

Mad Max is great <� thank
    Smart money says get crying.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:27 PM
    Here we go again. Stop asking this question. No one ******* knows the answer.
    You obviously do not understand the fundamental concept of what a discussion forum like this is for.
    09-19-15 03:27 PM
    You obviously do not understand the fundamental concept of what a discussion forum like this is for.
    Does the fundamental concept include not searching for answers prior to posting, and in doing so, realizing 5 of the same question already exists? I mean, when signing up to "discuss" on this forum, it's right there in the rules.
    09-19-15 03:31 PM
    Does the fundamental concept include not searching for answers prior to posting, and in doing so, realizing 5 of the same question already exists? I mean, when signing up to "discuss" on this forum, it's right there in the rules.
    I can understand how frustrating it must be for you that people keep having discussions and conversations in this discussion forum. If only everyone would stop.

Not long now...
    09-19-15 03:35 PM
    I can understand how frustrating it must be for you that people keep having discussions and conversations in this discussion forum. If only everyone would stop.

Not long now...
    I assume "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" is music to your ears, then.
    kbz1960 and zombiecupcake like this.
    09-19-15 03:47 PM
    If they only just released full Android runtime support for BB10 instead of OS suicide I'd be happy.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:53 PM
    I don't think so, slider running Android is a trial in order to see how it works and how will be received by the public (sales)

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    09-19-15 04:03 PM
    Nothing in your post makes any sense at all.
    I would rather say that you just do not understand it.
    What part does not make sense?
    Is it possible to have computer which can run MS Windows, MacOS or Linux. It is possible. It is called PC computer.
    Do you understand possible ways to run app inside some operating system?
    Etc.
    saint613 likes this.
    09-19-15 04:55 PM
    I would rather say that you just do not understand it.
    What part does not make sense?
    Is it possible to have computer which can run MS Windows, MacOS or Linux. It is possible. It is called PC computer.
    Do you understand possible ways to run app inside some operating system?
    Etc.
    You wrote:
    It is possible to run MacOS, Windows and Linux on same hardware so there is no reason for running Android on Passport.

So, basically you are saying that, because you can run macOS (OS X for normal people), Windows and Linux on the same hardware, there is no reason to run android on a passport. (Your words). That statement makes no sense in any language.

You then go on to say that, on the other hand, it is more complex to run android apps now. So, to summarise your statement:

You can run software on any hardware. On the other hand, it is more complex to run android apps now.

More complex than what? Understanding the workings of your four brain cells?
    09-19-15 05:26 PM
    Guys please don't ask such silly questions. How can you update an OS to a completely different OS? Can you update Windows to Mac OS?!

Posted via CB10
    Not so. Windows runs on Mac officially and OSX runs on some Windows PCs too, via a project called Hackintosh. Its a good idea to fact check before accusing people of being silly!
    09-19-15 05:29 PM
    That kind of strategy in the short run is bad business. Thor, who was better at selling devices in the short run and long run, had a five year plan for BlackBerry 10's profitability and further development. And, unlike Chen, Thor had the company briefly profitable one quarter after launching BB10... just for bonus point.

It is not realistic for a new platform like BB10 to sell as many devices in the short run as an established platform like Android. But, with BB10, BlackBerry gets to be in Google's seat in the long run, and Google is the only player that consistently makes money from Android. BlackBerry could license, load the BB10 OS on different form factors, some of which probably don't exist today, do distributed computing, and take a chunk of all the app sales. Instead of being a device company, they'd be a platform company. And, the platform could be the foundation for an array of profitable services with deep integration into the OS. As the owner of a platform, BlackBerry would have greater barriers to entry from competitors, unlike Chen's risky foray into EMM software exclusively, and have influence that builds respect as a player or influencer for the entire company in the arena of mobile computing. You can't buy that through advertising.

If BlackBerry loses it's platform, it'll just be a device manufacturer with a CEO who underinvests in the device division.

Don't get me wrong, I think that BlackBerry's Android play will be a short term success and will be fine for selling devices. But, Chen had the foundation of a *platform* costing billions in sunk costs and he just let it die. That's a lot of lost long-term potential.

Posted via CB10
    Wow, hadn't thought of it this way. Good points. However, if Thor hadn't shopped BlackBerry around to buyers, maybe BB10 would be a lot healthier.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 06:30 PM
    Want in one hand and ish in the other and see which one fills up first.
    09-19-15 07:24 PM
    My Passport already runs Android. It's just Google Play Services that are lacking.

Honestly, if Google Play Services come to BB10, that would cover it for me.

My ultimate device would be a BB10 Passport with Google Play Services for the odd Android app that I need. Otherwise I'm good.

Posted via CB10
    OfficerRandall likes this.
    09-19-15 07:42 PM
    Whatever BlackBerry will do, in the end, we don't have power to change that... the only thing we can do, is to continually support them or jump to another wagon...

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 08:26 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...g-page-965257/

My Passport already runs Android. It's just Google Play Services that are lacking.

Honestly, if Google Play Services come to BB10, that would cover it for me.

My ultimate device would be a BB10 Passport with Google Play Services for the odd Android app that I need. Otherwise I'm good.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 10:31 PM
    I don't think so, slider running Android is a trial in order to see how it works and how will be received by the public (sales)

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    I don't think it's a fair trial, because of too many new things put into it -- new OS, new physical construction, new choice of screen technology, new form factor, new combination of screen form factor with keyboard placement and layout.

If I was BlackBerry I would choose a more reasonable strategy in testing the market -- the tick-tock strategy, i.e. I would introduce new OS on an existing hardware such as Passport first.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    09-19-15 11:20 PM
    If I was BlackBerry I would choose a more reasonable strategy in testing the market -- the tick-tock strategy, i.e. I would introduce new OS on an existing hardware such as Passport first.

Passport is a massive departure in terms of form factor. You think it would stand a chance of actually bringing any credibility to BlackBerry as an Android OEM? Not by itself.

All most people know are widescreen slab devices, and a large majority of use comes from consuming content and posting dinner photos to Instagram. An Android Passport would be discounted immediately for being a poor media consumption device and too weird for the average person; hell, it already was after its original launch.

With the slider, BlackBerry can cater to the average consumer with a form factor they're already used to, slap an OS on there that they're already familiar with, AND give them an iconic and well built physical keyboard that no other OEM can deliver coupled with BlackBerry specific security features they can market.

I think that's a little more reasonable than your strategy. Offering an Android Passport as well would be a welcomed option, as I have zero desire at this point for the slider.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    fanisk, zombiecupcake and ZayDub like this.
    09-19-15 11:51 PM
    Nope

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 12:00 AM
    You wrote:

So, basically you are saying that, because you can run macOS (OS X for normal people), Windows and Linux on the same hardware, there is no reason to run android on a passport. (Your words). That statement makes no sense in any language.

You then go on to say that, on the other hand, it is more complex to run android apps now. So, to summarise your statement:

You can run software on any hardware. On the other hand, it is more complex to run android apps now.

More complex than what? Understanding the workings of your four brain cells?
    It is more complex to run application written for android now on bb10 operating system. Excuse me for MacOS. I beleive that you don't know that Apple used to call it that way.
    I also beleive you are just a troll.

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-H using Tapatalk
    09-20-15 12:04 AM
    I don't like android, but I love BlackBerry and will always try to support the company as much as I can. It's an important Canadian brand and I never want to see it go away. I understand why they're building the Venice slider, but I just don't like the idea of Android on it. Perhaps my opinion may change over time, anything is possible. I just can't believe the whole thing really - because BlackBerry 10 is technically superior to anything else and it is a beautifully crafted piece of software. There will always be a BlackBerry OS though, they're not going to stop developing it, they're just going to have both. How they do that is up in the air. Will BlackBerry 10 be for enterprise grade clients and android for everybody else? Who knows. Maybe we will always have the choice between the two as clients of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 12:07 AM
    Passport is a massive departure in terms of form factor. You think it would stand a chance of actually bringing any credibility to BlackBerry as an Android OEM? Not by itself.

All most people know are widescreen slab devices, and a large majority of use comes from consuming content and posting dinner photos to Instagram. An Android Passport would be discounted immediately for being a poor media consumption device and too weird for the average person; hell, it already was after its original launch.

With the slider, BlackBerry can cater to the average consumer with a form factor they're already used to, slap an OS on there that they're already familiar with, AND give them an iconic and well built physical keyboard that no other OEM can deliver coupled with BlackBerry specific security features they can market.

I think that's a little more reasonable than your strategy. Offering an Android Passport as well would be a welcomed option, as I have zero desire at this point for the slider.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    I named Passport only as an example of existing models. I admit that it may not be the best candidate for introducing a new OS in a market test, for its unusual features like form factor and the physical keyboard. Z30 or Leap may be better examples.

For some people, including me, a slider is immediately a deal breaker. For some others, a physical keyboard is immediately a deal breaker. Many people (including me) would agree on welcoming a physical keyboard but dispute on details such as placement and layout. The keyboard is so a relevant factor that finding a compromise/major consensus in potential users' opinion is hopeless.

The keyboard layout in the Venice shows the lack of understanding so fundamental things such as the differences between phones and smartphones (i.e. pocket computers that can make phone calls), or the differences between a pure-English keyboard and international language keyboards. I would never put a new OS into the Venice as a market test because of the high risk of commercial failure.

09-20-15 12:31 AM
92 1234