Hey guys has anyone heard of the passport being updated to Android?
    Is BB10 dead? am I going to cry? Is life real?

Mad Max is great <� thank
    09-19-15 05:25 AM
    my gut feeling is no, but who knows. No announcements as yet.
    09-19-15 05:31 AM
    Yes. I think so.

If 'BlackBerry Android' is BB10 with Android subsystem or stock Android then sure, reloading the Passport with the new OS is technically possible.

If it is Android over QNX hypervisor, I'm not sure since a hypervisor needs virtualization hardware (the CPU).

It's unlikely that 'BlackBerry Android' is implemented via hypervisor so, yes, there's good chance that it is loadable into pre-Venice high-end models, such as the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 06:44 AM
    Probably. They won't upkeep two separate operating system.

Posted via  Passport Silver Edition
    09-19-15 06:53 AM
    'Yes' - if the BlackBerry-Android becomes profitable. After all, that's the main objective of Mr. Chen regardless of what. They might give us, however, option to convert to Android platform or stay to BB10...

'No' - if it doesn't become profitable. But one thing for sure, BlackBerry will drop the one giving them less to survive... which might still 'Yes' if BlackBerry-Android is still less cost to operate and maintain compare with BB10...

Nothing personal... it's pure Business 101...

Posted via CB10
    Tracey S1 likes this.
    09-19-15 07:44 AM
    Pinch yourself,see, life is real,anything else is a crap shoot,hahaha
    09-19-15 07:54 AM
    I'm sure we'll have the option to switch operating systems if the Venice is popular. I'm not so sure I'd want to, but I'll be glad if BlackBerry supports old devices in this way.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 08:27 AM
    Better not. The only two reasons I stay with BlackBerry are physical keyboard and BB10 system.

Posted via my lovely SE passport!
    lift, Bobglen, andy957 and 1 others like this.
    09-19-15 08:29 AM
    There were photos of the Silver Passport running Android, but those were largely dismissed as a hoax. They showed up around the same time the initial Venice running Android photos started popping up though, so now I'm not sure. There don't seem to have been any since the initial few photos though, while Android/Venice is all over the place, first in fuzzy photos, then not fuzzy photos, then videos. Haven't seen anything about Android on the Passport since the initial fuzzy photos.

As someone who's going to try to buy a passport later this month I'm really hoping I'd get to tinker with it, if it does come out.
    mrgarygeorge likes this.
    09-19-15 08:41 AM
    There were photos of the Silver Passport running Android, but those were largely dismissed as a hoax. They showed up around the same time the initial Venice running Android photos started popping up though, so now I'm not sure. There don't seem to have been any since the initial few photos though, while Android/Venice is all over the place, first in fuzzy photos, then not fuzzy photos, then videos. Haven't seen anything about Android on the Passport since the initial fuzzy photos.

As someone who's going to try to buy a passport later this month I'm really hoping I'd get to tinker with it, if it does come out.
    AFAIK there is a complete video showing a Silver Edition running Android. However I think that was some sort of an internal testing unit, nothing for the public.

It would be interesting for sure to get an optional update to Android if BlackBerry really decides to bet on that horse in the future.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 09:07 AM
    Better not. The only two reasons I stay with BlackBerry are physical keyboard and BB10 system.

Posted via my lovely SE passport!
    I sure hope so. As you can imagine, once BB switches to the Android OS, app development and updates for the BBOS and apps will virtually cease IMO. That'll be the demise of the BBOS I would think. I'm hoping BB is smart enough to realize this and allow current BB 10 users the option of OS's. If not, that'll pretty much see the end of BB as we know it IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-19-15 09:58 AM
    Waiting! I love to have android on my passport.

Posted via CB10
    shakur_steve likes this.
    09-19-15 10:49 AM
    I wouldn't load Android myself, but if BlackBerry 10 models have the option, it would breath new life in the Z30 for instance I think. Can you imagine your Z10 running Android. It's got the specs for a good stock Android experience, once again I think.
    09-19-15 10:52 AM
    Guys please don't ask such silly questions. How can you update an OS to a completely different OS? Can you update Windows to Mac OS?!

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    09-19-15 11:23 AM
    'Yes' - if the BlackBerry-Android becomes profitable. After all, that's the main objective of Mr. Chen regardless of what. They might give us, however, option to convert to Android platform or stay to BB10...

'No' - if it doesn't become profitable. But one thing for sure, BlackBerry will drop the one giving them less to survive... which might still 'Yes' if BlackBerry-Android is still less cost to operate and maintain compare with BB10...

Nothing personal... it's pure Business 101...

Posted via CB10
    That kind of strategy in the short run is bad business. Thor, who was better at selling devices in the short run and long run, had a five year plan for BlackBerry 10's profitability and further development. And, unlike Chen, Thor had the company briefly profitable one quarter after launching BB10... just for bonus point.

It is not realistic for a new platform like BB10 to sell as many devices in the short run as an established platform like Android. But, with BB10, BlackBerry gets to be in Google's seat in the long run, and Google is the only player that consistently makes money from Android. BlackBerry could license, load the BB10 OS on different form factors, some of which probably don't exist today, do distributed computing, and take a chunk of all the app sales. Instead of being a device company, they'd be a platform company. And, the platform could be the foundation for an array of profitable services with deep integration into the OS. As the owner of a platform, BlackBerry would have greater barriers to entry from competitors, unlike Chen's risky foray into EMM software exclusively, and have influence that builds respect as a player or influencer for the entire company in the arena of mobile computing. You can't buy that through advertising.

If BlackBerry loses it's platform, it'll just be a device manufacturer with a CEO who underinvests in the device division.

Don't get me wrong, I think that BlackBerry's Android play will be a short term success and will be fine for selling devices. But, Chen had the foundation of a *platform* costing billions in sunk costs and he just let it die. That's a lot of lost long-term potential.

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub likes this.
    09-19-15 11:42 AM
    Well the passport got the hardware to run android so I guess yes.
    09-19-15 11:58 AM
    Lol no-one except BlackBerry knows

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    09-19-15 11:59 AM
    It would be nice to have a fully working android runtime. I would be just as happy with that. BB10 is a great OS.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 12:14 PM
    If this is the case I will be joining IOS... BB10 is what I love a long with the actual phone hardware but if it's running anything android with no option to keep BB10 then it leaves me with no choice, I hope this isn't the case.

Posted via CB10
    lift and andy957 like this.
    09-19-15 12:22 PM
    What is distressing is that BlackBerry imposes it's will on existing users without consultation or even notice...

Bumpkin
    09-19-15 01:11 PM
    BlackBerry has already spoken.

"We remain committed to BlackBerry 10, which provides security and productivity benefits that are unmatched. And while we can�t share details right now, there is more coming to the BlackBerry 10 platform after the June release of 10.3.2 and we will keep you updated.

In addition to BlackBerry 10, we continue to encourage innovation and investment in solutions across all major mobile OS platforms supported by the BES12 platform.

Cheers,
    Lou"
    zombiecupcake likes this.
    09-19-15 01:18 PM
    No, the chances of getting android on a passport are as slim as the playbook getting an update.
    lift and andy957 like this.
    09-19-15 01:41 PM
    As long as they keep making the Passport. I really like the phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 01:42 PM
    Guys please don't ask such silly questions. How can you update an OS to a completely different OS? Can you update Windows to Mac OS?!

Posted via CB10
    Well, you can install Windows on a Mac. The phone is just hardware. It's totally possible to roll out software which replaces bb10 with android.
    saint613 likes this.
    09-19-15 02:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    It is possible to run MacOS, Windows and Linux on same hardware so there is no reason for running Android on Passport.
    On the other hand it is more complex to run Android apps now.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 02:57 PM
92 123 ...