I have a sapphire crystal in my watch for its scratch resistance - which is phenomenal. If Apple is putting any softer coating on top of the sapphire, the scratch resistance is lowered so why bother?

Posted via CB10
    Basically the thing is that sapphire is great for phones or any relatively small displays. It's hard and it won't scratch unless you carry a bunch of diamonds in your pockets (I doubt it but who knows!)

But sapphire don't perform well in "bending and flexibility". It will just shatter. Basically with happens is that the bigger the screen is, the more bending force will be on the sapphire screen when the phone is dropped.

For example, if you drop a small piece of glass.... chances are that it will remain intact. but if you drop a large piece of glass, it will shatter. That's why apple didn't go with pur sapphire.

Now will the passport have a sapphire screen? I doubt it. Should it have it? It doesn't matter on a technical point of view cause we change phones so often anyway.

On a marketing point of view, now that's different. maybe BlackBerry can use this opportunity to offer guerilla glass and market it more openly

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 11:19 PM
    sapphire breaks more easy than gorilla as the Corning Test show us

less iScratch more iCrack def iCrap...

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/ip...one-6-3505553/

Will Passport sport a Sapphire display?-img_20140722_071043.png

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 12:15 AM
    We already know pure sapphire is more brittle than GG3. We also know the demo is not a pure sapphire glass as it flexes quite easily.
    07-22-14 12:56 AM
    Exclusive to Apple
    07-22-14 12:57 AM
    anyway...gorilla or sapphire ill go to passport!

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 01:21 AM
    Even apple won't go full 100% sapphire. Too expensive. There are others out there will believe it's 100% sapphire glass.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-22-14 01:24 AM
    But will the Passport maybe sport a Gorilla display then..?

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 03:09 AM
    But will the Passport maybe sport a Gorilla display then..?

Posted via CB10
    Passport needs whatever the z30 used.
    07-22-14 05:09 AM
    If you work in iron works, there is no durable screen there without screen protector and casing. Even heavy duty power tools still break there.

It's the user. If the user takes care of his/her phone and being aware of the environment or work place he/she's into, the phone should have less chances of breaking. It doesn't matter even if his/her phone do not have monkey glass 1000 or sapphire sh!t with fiber glass on it.

Just like my z10. I don't put case for it but it's still rocking and still looks brand new.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 06:13 AM
    Hardness and not being brittle are two very different concepts. Don't confuse them.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-22-14 07:45 AM
    Hardness and not being brittle are two very different concepts. Don't confuse them.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    While Sapphire is brittle, the "test" screen is not brittle.... seems very flexible.

The question is what will really be on the phones... once it's released I'm sure there will be a number of test made to see how it performs.
    07-22-14 08:16 AM
    OP, what is the big deal abut "sapphire"? Just curious. Won't it be just another extra cost? People are already price sensitive.
    07-22-14 09:43 AM
    I have seen very few scratched iPhones (except for iPhone 1). But it's damn hard to see one that is not cracked. So that is what I am worried about (even though I don't use it). But I'm glad companies are investing and researching, I hope it performs well (can't wait for drop tests)
    07-22-14 11:45 AM
    OP, what is the big deal abut "sapphire"? Just curious. Won't it be just another extra cost? People are already price sensitive.
    Nothing really, I'm just wondering.. Since all big smartphone producers are really focusing to distinguish themselves with the newest and best display technologies and display form factor (eg. Curved displays); how and whether BlackBerry will follow this trend or not.

Like I said before, just curious..

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 11:49 AM
    Must say that is a good move by apple. I long of the day I no longer need a screen protector or case on my phone
    Have you tried a BlackBerry?

Check Out TechCraze

Jk
    07-22-14 12:56 PM
    Passport needs whatever the z30 used.
    I've seen a few two many broken Z30 screens for my liking, just have a protecting border like the Z10

Check Out TechCraze
    07-22-14 12:58 PM
    Just a fact of current smartphones that as bezels get minimized more shock will transfer to the front glass. Expect the Passport to suffer the same deficiency.

I suspect Apples take on sapphire glass is for this reason, they are trying to fit a larger screen in as small a phone as possible given their user base is used to the smaller Iphones. Pure sapphire is too brittle and the demo sapphire is quite shock resistant to bending and shattering while still being harder to scratch than current mainstream phones (Vertu phones use pure sapphire) .
    07-22-14 02:44 PM
    Just a fact of current smartphones that as bezels get minimized more shock will transfer to the front glass. Expect the Passport to suffer the same deficiency.

I suspect Apples take on sapphire glass is for this reason, they are trying to fit a larger screen in as small a phone as possible given their user base is used to the smaller Iphones. Pure sapphire is too brittle and the demo sapphire is quite shock resistant to bending and shattering while still being harder to scratch than current mainstream phones (Vertu phones use pure sapphire) .
    Wonder what is more innovative... trying new materials to counter a problem that affects all devices.
    - or -
    Blow up your existing product by 100% and throw a captivate/virtual keyboard on it to replace the physical one and force users to live with a 1x1 display in a 16x9 world?

I really wonder if Samsung had first to put a captivate keyboard on the NOTE... if some on the same ones praising BlackBerry would have taught that was crazy to not just keep the virtual keyboard? Or at least make the screen narrower to fit most content and to allow for one handed operations.... like a torch without the slider.
    07-22-14 04:03 PM

We haven't had a comparaison between the "apple sapphire" vs guerilla glass in flex test.

I don't care much about scratch resistance, just get a screen protector. But is the new "apple sapphire" less prone to cracks?

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 04:10 PM
    We haven't had a comparaison between the "apple sapphire" vs guerilla glass in flex test.

I don't care much about scratch resistance, just get a screen protector. But is the new "apple sapphire" less prone to cracks?

Posted via CB10
    Sapphire is used in 'transparent armour' as well as your well known high end sport watches so impact resistance shouldn't be a problem.

The Apple screen is plenty flexible enough for its purposes. If your phone flexes that much its not going to survive See example at 3:23
    07-22-14 05:40 PM
    Sapphire is used in 'transparent armour' as well as your well known high end sport watches so impact resistance shouldn't be a problem.

The Apple screen is plenty flexible enough for its purposes. If your phone flexes that much its not going to survive See example at 3:23
    Yeah but how is it compared to Guerilla Glass? If it's easier to crack, shatter or chip, then it's nothing more than a marketing gimmick

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 06:00 PM
    Yeah but how is it compared to Guerilla Glass? If it's easier to crack, shatter or chip, then it's nothing more than a marketing gimmick

Posted via CB10
    I think it leads to the question if Gorilla Glass is better than sapphire at these things why isn't it used for military applications that sapphire is since its many times cheaper to make? Of course in due time head to head lab tests will be done but the leaks parts tests are good enough to judge for me. Sorry if its not enough for you.
    07-22-14 06:05 PM
    you know, they just might put sapphire on the passport. after all, its not going to sell many anyways so its not that expensive. LOL Joking, i'm not a bbry hater
    07-22-14 10:45 PM
    I've seen a few two many broken Z30 screens for my liking, just have a protecting border like the Z10

Check Out TechCraze
    You should buy a lottery ticket. What are the odds of spotting a Z30 to begin with let alone a "few too many" with broken screens
    07-23-14 09:43 AM

Somehow... I don't know if an Apple smartphone, meant to be replaced every year thanks to their marketing fads (of which I wish BlackBerry had some), is really worth such durability.

Posted via CB10
    This.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 09:51 AM
56 123